Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Samsung screen mirroring.

ANSWERED
New Poster

Samsung screen mirroring.

I have been screen mirroring from my Samsung tablet to my Samsung TV in my vacation home with the xfinitygo ap but now with the new ap I get a message that I can only use my portable devices. Anyone know what this is about?  And how to fix?

Accepted Solution

Re: Samsung screen mirroring.

RobD1 wrote:

I have been screen mirroring from my Samsung tablet to my Samsung TV in my vacation home with the xfinitygo ap but now with the new ap I get a message that I can only use my portable devices. Anyone know what this is about?  And how to fix?

Due to content licensing restrictions, playback on an external display from the mobile apps via HDMI, AirPlay or Google Cast are currently not permitted. The online portal does not have similar restrictions (computers require external displays by default).  Try: https://tv.xfinity.com/ for your laptop or computer.

View answer in context
Problem Solver

RobD1 wrote:

There is no fix for this. This is how it's been designed. Stupid, yes but it has been this way for awhile now. You could still use a laptop, and Chromecast to your TV, or direct HDMI hookup. That still works until Comcast figures out a way to take that away as well.

New Poster

Thanks. Xfinity just got Netflix a new customer.

Frequent Visitor

Have you tried direct HDMI?  I got a message like above, "only for tablet use".

Official Employee

RobD1 wrote:

Due to content licensing restrictions, playback on an external display from the mobile apps via HDMI, AirPlay or Google Cast are currently not permitted. The online portal does not have similar restrictions (computers require external displays by default).  Try: https://tv.xfinity.com/ for your laptop or computer.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

"playback on an external display from the mobile apps via HDMI, AirPlay or Google Cast are currently not permitted..."

ComcastDan, you didn't mention AirPlay *audio* streaming (to an AirPlay speaker or receiver), which used to be supported on the iOS TV app but as of the mid-October update is no longer supported. Was support for AirPlay audio streaming removed by mistake? I have a feeling it was, because the iOS app still supports bluetooth audio streaming.

I would appreciate an answer to this question, and would also like to know whether AirPlay audio streaming will be supported again in a future version of the iOS app. I started a separate thread on this topic on 10/15, but never got an answer. Thanks!

New Poster

That is a pretty lame excuse.  What difference is it if I use a laptop with HDMI cable to my TV or my Android BlueTooth to my TV?  

Speaking of lame, the new Xfinity TV app won't go full screen.  I've seen forums talk about a filter setting but the app doesn't have any filter setting.  The point of having TV on the go is to be able to take advantage of the mobile devices display...how can I enjoy anything when the video content is only 1/3 of my device's screen?!?!

I can list all the other premium or non-cable provider apps that work just fine with full screen display AND sidesync or smart view.

New Poster

Comcast Dan,

Thanks for your comment but I am actually looking for a solution not just gripiing about your service. I just retired and plan to spend a few moths a year at my vacation home. I was hoping to have access to Xfinity service in my vacation home without paying for an entire new subscription since i already pay for the service at my primary residence. Is it possible for Xfinity to put together some kind of package that would allow people in my situation to use my TV in my vacation home in the same manner as an additional charge per tv is assessed at my primary residence? I have no intention of setting up my laptop in front of my 50 inch tv in my vacation home. So i will be making a decision sometime soon on keeping my current service or looking elsewhere.

Problem Solver

RobD1 wrote:

Comcast Dan,

Thanks for your comment but I am actually looking for a solution not just gripiing about your service. I just retired and plan to spend a few moths a year at my vacation home. I was hoping to have access to Xfinity service in my vacation home without paying for an entire new subscription since i already pay for the service at my primary residence. Is it possible for Xfinity to put together some kind of package that would allow people in my situation to use my TV in my vacation home in the same manner as an additional charge per tv is assessed at my primary residence? I have no intention of setting up my laptop in front of my 50 inch tv in my vacation home. So i will be making a decision sometime soon on keeping my current service or looking elsewhere.

In the first place, Comcast CANNOT offer you the same configuration in your secondary (vacation) home that you get in your primary residence. They are forbidden by the network providers to stream all your live channels through an Internet connection.

Secondly, if they could offer some sort of package that allowed a subset of features, you would be willing to pay an extra monthly charge for that service, and pay an extra monthly rental fee for this so called vacation set-top box?

Seems counter intuitive to me, since they already allow streaming of their subset features (access to DVR recordings, Live TV GO channels) without the extra charge. Why the hesitation of hooking a laptop to the TV, since it can presently be done at least 2 ways?  The extremely cheap way: hook an inexpensive HDMI cable to your TV, and stream from the Xfinity TV portal. The rather inexpensive way: buy a $35 Chromecast device, and attach it to your TV. Then you can stream wirelessly from your laptop to your TV. Throw in a wireless keyboard and mouse and your laptop doesn't even need to be near you.

The only service required at your vacation home would be Internet service.

Both options are a one time low cost. A Comcast "vacation package" would be a monthly cost, which would add up quickly over a year. You really should give both options a try. You might be surprised how easy and cost effective it is.

Contributor

It a money thing.  There wouldn't be as many DTA boxes in use for $3.99/mth.  They're getting $20 a month for me for DTAs.  I would get rid of a few of them if I could stream with Chromecast from Android even though its not as convenient.

Service Expert

mollinmark wrote:

It a money thing.  There wouldn't be as many DTA boxes in use for $3.99/mth.  They're getting $20 a month for me for DTAs.  I would get rid of a few of them if I could stream with Chromecast from Android even though its not as convenient.

DTAs offer a limited channel set and rent here is nearly $7 whereas a companion x1 set top box is approximately $10/month with full set of apps and voice remote and DVR recordings access. There are packages available from billing that include your X1 equipment rental charges as well as the HD technology fee (call 800-comcast and select billing and ask how to reduce the size of your bill). Most of the offers expire in 12 months so set a reminder to recheck it 2 weeks before end of the 12 month period.

I would add too that any tablet/lap-desktop/smart phone in the home can also receive full channel line up at no charge whatever. How is that not a good deal?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

This is also extremely feustrating for me as well. Im a truck driver and dont always have internet access but almost always have data access on my phone. I just got a smart tv in my truck just for this reason and cant even watch my dvr with it. Its incredibly stupid. If its not fixed then im going back to hulu, netflix, and sing.
Service Expert

GSRIceman wrote:
This is also extremely feustrating for me as well. Im a truck driver and dont always have internet access but almost always have data access on my phone. I just got a smart tv in my truck just for this reason and cant even watch my dvr with it. Its incredibly stupid. If its not fixed then im going back to hulu, netflix, and sing.

Not passing judgement on driving a truck watching video on a TV, but 'data' on your phone 'is' internet. as such you can watch on-demand videos that are available outside of the home and your DVR completed recordings, as well as the TVGo 'channels' on the guide (set filter to available outside of the home. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

You can always get direct tv from at&t and yes you will be able to watch all your channel lineup on your phone using the mobile app and screenmirror/chromecast/hdmi to tv/etc,etc,etc by the way verizon is now UNLIMITED for $80 bucks a month and works everywhere in the nation. I am a truck driver too Smiley Happy c'ya xfinity

New Poster

(computers require external displays by default).  Try: https://tv.xfinity.com/ for your laptop or computer. 

ComcastDan: you raise a very intriguing point with your statement... So is Comcast determining point-of-delivery based not on the home network MAC address, but rather the point where the processing meets the display? IOW, is a tablet or other mobile device considered integrated with the display and therefore ineligible to cast? If so, how is it that I am able to cast from an iMac or better yet... my HP All-In-One (which is ostensibly just a large tablet)?

It seems (based on these very particular restrictions) as if Xfinity is preparing to productize the ability to cast from mobile devices. Would this one day be the case?

I think what we're ALL trying to do is "cut the HDMI cord"; ....which is inevitable... but when will that be 'possible'?  

Service Expert
Moved:

New Poster

Yeah I mean I only pay 200 some bucks a month I can see why I shouldnt be allowed to cast my DVR recordings from my phone.
Official Employee

2 year old thread closed

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 13 in conversation