Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: error "only available to watch on home Wi-Fi network"

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 1 of 34

From what I can tell Xfinity is FORCING users to view most of the "good" content (shows, programming, etc..) while they are at home or connected to the Xfinity network. This approach pretty much defeats the purpose of having a MOBILE device app that is supposed to provide the ability to view programming while on the go. COME ON Xfinity!!!! If I have to be at home to view content while using you MOBILE device app, then what is the point. While I can understand the flexability of viewing content on different platforms while at home, but why does it matter WHERE i view the content if I am a paying customer. With what we are being charged monthly for your services AND THE FACT that you developed a MOBILE app for viewing TV, why LIMIT where we can view the content. Heck, the new version of the TV app doesn't even allow user to set bookmarks for shows they watch and does not allow people to rewind. I understand you don't want ppl to skip commercials, but come on ... bookmarks and rewind features in and app designed for MOBILE devices (these features were available in the older version of the app) is a MUST!!!

If the only place I can watch you content is at home then why develop a MOBILE app. Oh! maybe this is the beginning of a new "fee based" service you will adversite and allow your customer to pay for the right ...privildge... feature to veiw while REALLY on the GO!

33 REPLIES
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 2 of 34
Me too!!!! And I used to be able to watch my recorded DVR shows on the app. No more! When I contacted support online, they said something about our x1 DVR not having the right code programmed (there has been an update) and that for so much more $/month, she could put that code in. Are you serious? We signed up for a service with the features we wanted for a given price, and now we're told we have to pay up to get those features back! It's time to look for other options out there.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 3 of 34

Sslaven wrote:
Me too!!!! And I used to be able to watch my recorded DVR shows on the app. No more! When I contacted support online, they said something about our x1 DVR not having the right code programmed (there has been an update) and that for so much more $/month, she could put that code in. Are you serious? We signed up for a service with the features we wanted for a given price, and now we're told we have to pay up to get those features back! It's time to look for other options out there.

do you have the X1 equipment with at least one DVR?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 4 of 34

CuttingTheCord wrote:

From what I can tell Xfinity is FORCING users to view most of the "good" content (shows, programming, etc..) while they are at home or connected to the Xfinity network. This approach pretty much defeats the purpose of having a MOBILE device app that is supposed to provide the ability to view programming while on the go. COME ON Xfinity!!!! If I have to be at home to view content while using you MOBILE device app, then what is the point. While I can understand the flexability of viewing content on different platforms while at home, but why does it matter WHERE i view the content if I am a paying customer. With what we are being charged monthly for your services AND THE FACT that you developed a MOBILE app for viewing TV, why LIMIT where we can view the content. Heck, the new version of the TV app doesn't even allow user to set bookmarks for shows they watch and does not allow people to rewind. I understand you don't want ppl to skip commercials, but come on ... bookmarks and rewind features in and app designed for MOBILE devices (these features were available in the older version of the app) is a MUST!!!

If the only place I can watch you content is at home then why develop a MOBILE app. Oh! maybe this is the beginning of a new "fee based" service you will adversite and allow your customer to pay for the right ...privildge... feature to veiw while REALLY on the GO!

in the home you can watch anything on any device. When away, comcast can only let you see live and on-demand content that the providers (not comcast) have made available for out-of-the-home viewing. If comcast had their way they would allow all of it remotely. Any recording that has finished recording can be watched away or even downloaded so that if you don't want to use data that is expensive (like cell). The listings can be filtered when away to 'togo' (out of home) available viewing.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 5 of 34
Yep. We have at least one DVR and we're one of the very first in our area to sign up with the new x1 equipment.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 6 of 34

Sslaven wrote:
Yep. We have at least one DVR and we're one of the very first in our area to sign up with the new x1 equipment.

above you said you were using the app. Were you using the xfinity TV app? If so, when you touch the stack of papers icon (menu) do you see "saved","live TV", and "on Demand"?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 7 of 34
I can only see "for you, purchases and downloads". However, there is nothing available under "purchases and downloads". Yes, I was using the app before. However, I don't know if it's the new app or the one they are phasing out (maybe "xfinity go"?).
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 8 of 34

Sslaven wrote:
I can only see "for you, purchases and downloads". However, there is nothing available under "purchases and downloads". Yes, I was using the app before. However, I don't know if it's the new app or the one they are phasing out (maybe "xfinity go"?).

1. do you have x1 equipment and if so do you have a DVR?

the xfinity TVGo app gives you a notice to use the xfinity TV app now. ('ve already deleted the tvgo app.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 9 of 34

I'm getting this error from the web browser.  I'm an xfinity customer, logged into the xfinity.com website on my home internet via ethernet cable, and I'm getting this error message as well.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 10 of 34

Dyenom wrote:

I'm getting this error from the web browser.  I'm an xfinity customer, logged into the xfinity.com website on my home internet via ethernet cable, and I'm getting this error message as well.

are you by chance using a VPN (virtual private network) to keep your connections 'safe'?

EDIT: or perhaps a business internet/TV customer (like a restaurant/bar)?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 11 of 34

I'm at home on ethernet and get the 'in-home \ wi-fi" error. I just finished watching last nigth's 7.2 TWD episode. When I try to play last night's ep of the Strain, it tells me I need to be at home on wi-fi. Which is an inaccurate representation of what Xfinity is trying to force anyway. What diff should wi-fi make? Tell us we need to be at home using data on our internet connection. The way it reads, a hard ethernet line wouldn't meet your qualifications either.

That said, you're selling us a service, then telling paying customers it only half exists. On top of that I AM AT HOME on my ethernet and also tried wi-fi, but can't watch the shows I paid for on my day off with the 3 hours of quiet I have while the kids are out.

Comcinity, please fix your tech and hire better tech consultants to get it right next time. Stuff like this is why I lean closer to leaving you for the next least bad service available or just quitting and reading books again.

Hugs and kisses,

-Rocko

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 12 of 34

stev379 wrote:

I'm at home on ethernet and get the 'in-home \ wi-fi" error. I just finished watching last nigth's 7.2 TWD episode. When I try to play last night's ep of the Strain, it tells me I need to be at home on wi-fi. Which is an inaccurate representation of what Xfinity is trying to force anyway. What diff should wi-fi make? Tell us we need to be at home using data on our internet connection. The way it reads, a hard ethernet line wouldn't meet your qualifications either.

That said, you're selling us a service, then telling paying customers it only half exists. On top of that I AM AT HOME on my ethernet and also tried wi-fi, but can't watch the shows I paid for on my day off with the 3 hours of quiet I have while the kids are out.

Comcinity, please fix your tech and hire better tech consultants to get it right next time. Stuff like this is why I lean closer to leaving you for the next least bad service available or just quitting and reading books again.

Hugs and kisses,

-Rocko

To diagnose it would be good to use another device like a smart phone or a tablet/iPad or less preferable a laptop. anything available?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 13 of 34

stev379 wrote:

Hugs and kisses,

-Rocko

The wired ethernet you're connected to, is it comcast supplied ethernet and the same account as your tv service? If your ethernet is another supplier or say a comcast business service different from your tv service than the tv website or app does not consider you on your home network. The message saying "wifi" is just the dumb developers assuming no one uses wired ethernet.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 14 of 34
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 15 of 34

mvenanzi wrote:

stev379 wrote:

Hugs and kisses,

-Rocko

The wired ethernet you're connected to, is it comcast supplied ethernet and the same account as your tv service? If your ethernet is another supplier or say a comcast business service different from your tv service than the tv website or app does not consider you on your home network. The message saying "wifi" is just the dumb developers assuming no one uses wired ethernet.

on other threads, comcast employees said that if a home has X1 cable television and business internet that they can make an entry to connect the two accounts and let the 'home' internet account work with the xFinity TV app.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 16 of 34

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

stev379 wrote:

Hugs and kisses,

-Rocko

on other threads, comcast employees said that if a home has X1 cable television and business internet that they can make an entry to connect the two accounts and let the 'home' internet account work with the xFinity TV app.

Yes they did, but we don't know if thats the problem yet.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 17 of 34

When I used the TV Go App I could watch shows the next day with the exception of CBS, I was forced to switch apps and now I can't even watch episodes from weeks ago without being at home, so does that mean when Comcast forced the switch the networks decided to limit what we can view away from home?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 18 of 34

Welcome to the fake story we are all being sold by xfinity. We need to start a class action suit. Even at home you only can watch for 5 or 10 minutes and it freezes up and plugin failure shows up. 

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 19 of 34

I pay for Comcast home (not business), cable TV, Internet and phone service. All through Comcast. I've double checked to be sure no part of it is mistakenly or otherwise configured as a business service.

It's all Comcast except for my TiVo that connects to one television. Shows will play fine through the TiVo\Comcast OnDemand screens. I use computers for viewing in other rooms. My Comcast service feeds my router and a hard line goes from the rtr to the TiVo. A different hard line goes from the rtr to my main computer and I use WiFi for laptops, an iPhone 6 (ATT), iPad(ATT Unlimited) and a Surface Pro 3. Any device can provide this error. I understand if I'm offsite using cell service on a tablet or phone, but I'm "IN HOME", which is precisely where Comcast says I'm not. My WiFi devices are on WiFi and not using cell service when at home. I've disconnected and reset these connections a few times to test if reinitiating would help...no.

Should I move? Do I need a different TV? Could it be the cable? Maybe restarting the master power line to my circuit breaker? Or any other option that's as a-s-i-n-i-n-e as telling me I'm not at home and can't watch a TV show using your on demand service that's been tauted for years as a great option for people with mobile devices and should be available to me whether I'm at home or not anyway?

I'm open to suggestions and ready to conform if it means getting what I'm owed.

Sincerely,

- This Guy

PS. Your system works well enough to tell me I "used a bad word, as-inine (minus the hyphen), in the body of [my] post", but your software is unable to determine if I'm actually at home correctly. You're on a rocketship to the future Comcast. Take some more of my money please.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 20 of 34

stev379 wrote:

I pay for Comcast home (not business), cable TV, Internet and phone service. All through Comcast. I've double checked to be sure no part of it is mistakenly or otherwise configured as a business service.

It's all Comcast except for my TiVo that connects to one television. Shows will play fine through the TiVo\Comcast OnDemand screens. I use computers for viewing in other rooms. My Comcast service feeds my router and a hard line goes from the rtr to the TiVo. A different hard line goes from the rtr to my main computer and I use WiFi for laptops, an iPhone 6 (ATT), iPad(ATT Unlimited) and a Surface Pro 3. Any device can provide this error. I understand if I'm offsite using cell service on a tablet or phone, but I'm "IN HOME", which is precisely where Comcast says I'm not. My WiFi devices are on WiFi and not using cell service when at home. I've disconnected and reset these connections a few times to test if reinitiating would help...no.

Should I move? Do I need a different TV? Could it be the cable? Maybe restarting the master power line to my circuit breaker? Or any other option that's as a-s-i-n-i-n-e as telling me I'm not at home and can't watch a TV show using your on demand service that's been tauted for years as a great option for people with mobile devices and should be available to me whether I'm at home or not anyway?

Sincerely,

- This Guy

PS. Your system works well enough to tell me I "used a bad word, as-inine (minus the hyphen), in the body of [my] post", but your software is unable to determine if I'm actually at home correctly. You're on a rocketship to the future Comcast. Take some more of my money please.

First thing I would do is reboot your modem. Sometimes I have gotten the error, and a modem reboot fixes the problem.

If that fails, I would then check the "My Account - Devices" web page to ensure Comcast has the correct MAC address/serial number for your modem. If that is incorrect, you will get the "Out of Home" error.  Of course Comcast has now made it more difficult to check the MAC address on their "upgraded" Account page. Now instead of just displaying it on the Devices page, you need to click the Troubleshoot link on the device to get to the page with the MAC address.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 21 of 34

I had the very same issue (hard wired and wireless) where each device in the xFinity TV app or tv.xfinity.com said I did not appear to be on the home wifi network even on hard wired). After a few calls over 2 days I was connected to a level 2 tech who finally fixed it doing an account refresh (not entitlement refresh). she said it could take up to an hour but hopefully would not take that long. Within 5 minutes the web site was working. I had to force close the TV app on both iphone and iPad to get the software to recognize I was on the home network.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 22 of 34

stev379 wrote:

Sincerely,

- This Guy

I'm sorry you're having difficulty but hopefully we can get this sorted out. It is likely that the Comcast system doesn't have your Internet modem properly associated with your account. We use the modem's MAC address to determine the IP address of your home network. When those match up, the app gets notified that you are connected to your in-home XFINITY network. We do this check anytime you switch networks (e.g. WiFi to cellular) so force quitting the app isn't actually necessary (just toggle on/off the WiFi). The XFINITY My Account app is a good way to confirm if we have the proper data. If we don't, you can call 800-XFINITY to adjust (you will likely want to get escalated to Tier 2 support for this type of thing).

If this was more of a occasional issue, I'd suggest you reboot your modem but it sounds from your description like it is chronic.  Another reason this occurs for some is that modems get new IP addresses and that update can take time to be known to the systems that are used to identify if you are in-home or not.

-ComcastDan

PS - I did a "refresh" on your account but don't expect that to solve the problem if what I proposed above is correct.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 23 of 34

Thank you Dan,

Even if it fails to fix it, it's the first sensible suggestion from Comcast. I'll call to confirm the MAC address is correct when I get home tonight. Yes, the problem has been chronic and I have started my modem and also the router a few times in the past couple months with no improvement or change.

For other customers, in case I wasn't clear in my OP, this is a chronic issue with some programs when I'm at home on WiFi or ethernet. Other programs will regularly work fine, but certain other program will fail a moment later with the at-home notification regardless of location. The first one I can think of is the Strain, but there others. It's not like it flips over and everything fails. Some shows work, some don't.

I'll let this thread know how the modem MAC verification goes. I might test it for a day or two before responding.

- At-Home-Guy

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 24 of 34

ComcastDan my modem keeps droppting from my account in the account 'database'. When it happens I can't access xfinity wifi nor will any streaming device work as they think I am not on my home internet service. The My Account app in 100% of the cases stops showing I have internet equipment at all (says no modem attached to my account).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 25 of 34
The online and tv go continues to decline. I'm on my home wifi network from Xfinity. My son likes to watch the Peanuts movie which wasn't showing up on demand so he watched it streaming. Today, I went to put it on and it says it can only play in home network, which we are on. Also, half the time the episodes I watch freeze and have to restart only to start at the beginning with no fast forward capabilities. I usually end up going to the network website instead which poses the question of why are we paying for this horrible service we can't even use. I used to really like comcast but their online service is becoming more and more worthless to me. Oh, I tried to chat with them about this issue. I got another worthless non-working message and it never connected.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 26 of 34

Rustyben wrote:

ComcastDan my modem keeps droppting from my account in the account 'database'. When it happens I can't access xfinity wifi nor will any streaming device work as they think I am not on my home internet service. The My Account app in 100% of the cases stops showing I have internet equipment at all (says no modem attached to my account).

Hi Rusy,

Sorry to hear that. When this happens, is it getting fixed by calling us or does it resolve itself with time? Also, are you using your own modem and, if so, is it one of the approved models?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 27 of 34

ComcastDan wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Hi Rusy,

Sorry to hear that. When this happens, is it getting fixed by calling us or does it resolve itself with time? Also, are you using your own modem and, if so, is it one of the approved models?

yes but so far no post-mortem to find out why the modem falls off the database associated with my tV service. Key is to get 'to' level 2 who has the tool to refresh teh account. the level one resets the modem and has no clue as to the actual issue. the level one believes that streaming begins with the modem as a source.

when this problem hasppens I lose access to public wifi on xfinitywifi too.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 28 of 34
Posted by
New Poster

Message 29 of 34
The point is we want to watch shows on the app AWAY from home. So that has absolutely nothing to do with the wifi at home which works properly.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 30 of 34
Notice how Xfinity never answers the question?!!
We want to watch shows AWAY from home on a MOBILE app. What is so hard to understand?!
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 31 of 34

Rhiannon1060 wrote:
Notice how Xfinity never answers the question?!!
We want to watch shows AWAY from home on a MOBILE app. What is so hard to understand?!

options: watch TV Go 'channels' for live streaming, the available outside of home on-demand shows, or recorded shows. All available outside of home. The producers/channels by contract limit what Comcast can show to customers outside of the home.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 32 of 34

I was at home, with my cable TV and internet service down (tech will be here in 3 days to look at it again, yada yada) and wanted to stream, via my phone and Xfinitiy Stream app, the end of the Red Sox game. 

"Connect to your home wifi network". 

If that would have done any good, wouldn't be using the app in the first place. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 33 of 34

Curmudgeon55 wrote:

I was at home, with my cable TV and internet service down (tech will be here in 3 days to look at it again, yada yada) and wanted to stream, via my phone and Xfinitiy Stream app, the end of the Red Sox game. 

"Connect to your home wifi network". 

If that would have done any good, wouldn't be using the app in the first place. 

do you own/use your own gateway(modem)? 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 34 of 34