Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Problem with Watching Recorded Content on iPad Pro since 10.3.3 iOS update -- Xfinity Stream TV App

Frequent Visitor

Problem with Watching Recorded Content on iPad Pro since 10.3.3 iOS update -- Xfinity Stream TV App

Hi! I am new to the Forum and do not see anything identical to my problem.  I only watch Xfinity on either my TV or iPad Pro.  I had NEVER had a problem and record a number of shows weekly until shows recorded Saturday (July 22) or later.  I believe that I installed 10.3.3 update on the previous date and did not record anything Friday night.  The Xfinity Stream App indicates that a recording exists.  However, whenever I open the recording, I receive the same message, " Playback Issue::8001.  We're sorry, something unexpected just happened.  Please try again."  

I have tried everything from exiting the application to cold booting the pad.  Nothing remedies the problem.  This has recurred for repeated nights of recordings.  I do not want to delete the application and reinstall as I have a number of seasons of shows saved and am fearful that they will be lost akin to Comcast's inability to save content when swapping out DVRs.  I have downloaded all updates and am not experiencing ANY problems with other streaming providers such as NetFlix or Acorn.  I can watch OnDemand and Live TV without incident (I have read where others have had issues with these services, as well), so it is ONLY the recordings.  Is anyone else experiencing the same problem and, if so, do you know of a fix? Thank you.

Service Expert

Re: Problem with Watching Recorded Content on iPad Pro since 10.3.3 iOS update -- Xfinity Stream TV

Gianna2 wrote:

Hi! I am new to the Forum and do not see anything identical to my problem.  I only watch Xfinity on either my TV or iPad Pro.  I had NEVER had a problem and record a number of shows weekly until shows recorded Saturday (July 22) or later.  I believe that I installed 10.3.3 update on the previous date and did not record anything Friday night.  The Xfinity Stream App indicates that a recording exists.  However, whenever I open the recording, I receive the same message, " Playback Issue::8001.  We're sorry, something unexpected just happened.  Please try again."  

I have tried everything from exiting the application to cold booting the pad.  Nothing remedies the problem.  This has recurred for repeated nights of recordings.  I do not want to delete the application and reinstall as I have a number of seasons of shows saved and am fearful that they will be lost akin to Comcast's inability to save content when swapping out DVRs.  I have downloaded all updates and am not experiencing ANY problems with other streaming providers such as NetFlix or Acorn.  I can watch OnDemand and Live TV without incident (I have read where others have had issues with these services, as well), so it is ONLY the recordings.  Is anyone else experiencing the same problem and, if so, do you know of a fix? Thank you.

occasionally an older recording on the cloud DVR 'appears' in the listing but apparently there is no file behind the 'title' (file name) or it is corrupted. Fortunately for me, the recording was fine on the home DVR. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Problem with Watching Recorded Content on iPad Pro since 10.3.3 iOS update -- Xfinity Stream TV

Guess that I wasn't clear. While I have a TV, I prefer recording to the iPad and generally do that ONLY.  The recordings with which I am having problems are current -- since Saturday, the 22nd, -- and not old recordings.  I have a number of old recordings which I have saved and can still open and view without problem.  Another strange issue is that, while one of the shows that I recorded allowed me to watch the show on demand, I cannot watch the previously recorded shows on demand without now receiving the same crazy "8001" message.  Due to the timing, I can only think that this is an Apple/Comcast issue, but with so many people using Apple products, I'm surprised no one else has experienced it. 

Problem Solver

Gianna2 wrote:

Guess that I wasn't clear. While I have a TV, I prefer recording to the iPad and generally do that ONLY.  The recordings with which I am having problems are current -- since Saturday, the 22nd, -- and not old recordings.  I have a number of old recordings which I have saved and can still open and view without problem.  Another strange issue is that, while one of the shows that I recorded allowed me to watch the show on demand, I cannot watch the previously recorded shows on demand without now receiving the same crazy "8001" message.  Due to the timing, I can only think that this is an Apple/Comcast issue, but with so many people using Apple products, I'm surprised no one else has experienced it. 

When you record a show, it is not stored on your ipad, it is stored on your dvr if you have one and/or on your cloud storage if you have that. So when you set a recording on either your ipad or dvr, you will be able to watch the recording on either your ipad or tv/dvr. This also means you can delete the streaming app and reinstall without losing your recording.

Frequent Visitor

I guess that I am really ignorant. I am looking at my DVR "recordings" which are completely different from my iPad Pro Xfinity Stream "recordings".  My iPad "recordings" shows no overlap.   Therefore, I would have to believe that the recordings made based upon iPad selections are stored on the cloud.  However, deleted recordings are indicated as "deleted from DVR" on XYZ date".  I have always found Comcast to be very frustrating with their recording devices -- never as good as Direct TV.  I appreciate the advice you are giving me, which is the general tech answer of  remove and reinstall. However, I have never trusted Comcast to get technology correct.  I think that I will break down and wait on the phone with God knows where for God knows how long to speak with someone who may or may not speak English and pray they know why this is happening.  I suspect that they will blame Apple and the fun will begin.  Is NO ONE recording on the X1 platform on an Apple product?

Problem Solver

Gianna2 wrote:

I guess that I am really ignorant. I am looking at my DVR "recordings" which are completely different from my iPad Pro Xfinity Stream "recordings".  My iPad "recordings" shows no overlap.   Therefore, I would have to believe that the recordings made based upon iPad selections are stored on the cloud.  However, deleted recordings are indicated as "deleted from DVR" on XYZ date".  I have always found Comcast to be very frustrating with their recording devices -- never as good as Direct TV.  I appreciate the advice you are giving me, which is the general tech answer of  remove and reinstall. However, I have never trusted Comcast to get technology correct.  I think that I will break down and wait on the phone with God knows where for God knows how long to speak with someone who may or may not speak English and pray they know why this is happening.  I suspect that they will blame Apple and the fun will begin.  Is NO ONE recording on the X1 platform on an Apple product?

There are many apple users streaming using the comcast app. They post on these forums, just do a forum search for apple or ipad.

Service Expert

Gianna2 wrote:

when you select record, the scheduler application at Comcast starts recording on your DVR in home and in the cloud. The iPad will only 'see' recordings on the cloud DVR, the home DVR sees its own recordings as well as any not on the home DVR but still in the cloud (for example a power failure of a few hours during prime time). Even though the home DVR has no power the cloud DVR records the program and it is available when power returns for the home DVR to play.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I don't mean to be rude and did search for iPad and Xfinity Streaming recent problems before I posted.  I have read your response, but where on my DVR do I find the cloud based recordings? I must admit that I have an older generation DVR as I did not want to lose previous seasons of shows that I recorded which Comast technicians (level 4) assured me would occur if I traded up.  Is what you speak of only available if I have the newer DVR? I am currently using the MOTO MOR200BN DVR and when I hit DVR, there are no cloud-based recordings.  It is for this reason that I have gone to recording with the iPad as it is much simpler than the old unit.  If the reason we are not communicating a hardware problem -- my DVR is too old -- I will call Comcast and see what they have to say. They have explicitly told me on at least four occasions that I will lose all recorded content on the DVR if I trade up.  As I have an alternative, I have decided against so doing.

Problem Solver

Gianna2 wrote:

I don't mean to be rude and did search for iPad and Xfinity Streaming recent problems before I posted.  I have read your response, but where on my DVR do I find the cloud based recordings? I must admit that I have an older generation DVR as I did not want to lose previous seasons of shows that I recorded which Comast technicians (level 4) assured me would occur if I traded up.  Is what you speak of only available if I have the newer DVR? I am currently using the MOTO MOR200BN DVR and when I hit DVR, there are no cloud-based recordings.  It is for this reason that I have gone to recording with the iPad as it is much simpler than the old unit.  If the reason we are not communicating a hardware problem -- my DVR is too old -- I will call Comcast and see what they have to say. They have explicitly told me on at least four occasions that I will lose all recorded content on the DVR if I trade up.  As I have an alternative, I have decided against so doing.

Sorry, what I wrote was with the belief you had x1 service and x1 dvr. Older dvrs do not have this ability

Frequent Visitor

You seem to know a lot about how the recording process works at Comcast.  Have I been misinformed by the Comcast technicians about content on the old DVRs?  Will it be lost?  I can't think of a way to save it as there is no storage to cloud option on the unit. Are you aware of something I can do?  The old DVR is trash, but I have a lot of content that I love and am really happy with just recording on the iPad.  This is truly the first time I've had a problem with it. I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks.

Problem Solver

Gianna2 wrote:

You seem to know a lot about how the recording process works at Comcast.  Have I been misinformed by the Comcast technicians about content on the old DVRs?  Will it be lost?  Yes, it happened to me before cloud, my dvr was taken out by lightning and I lost all recordings I can't think of a way to save it as there is no storage to cloud option on the unit. Are you aware of something I can do? You could get a stand alone pvr (personal video recorder) and connect the output of your comcast dvr to the input of the new pvr and record your shows to it. Something like https://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1512-Definition-Personal-Technology/dp/B00BA4ILX8 will record your shows to a pc. I have a pvr I used before cable had dvr service that has a hard drive in it, Magnavox H216MW9 ( https://www.amazon.com/MAGNAVOX-H2160MW9-Recorder-Digital-Tuner/dp/B0020ZW8P8 The old DVR is trash, but I have a lot of content that I love and am really happy with just recording on the iPad.  This is truly the first time I've had a problem with it. I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you.  Will look into it and see if it is worthwhile.  Would like to just remedy current problem so will contact Comcast and Apple.  One or the other should have a fix.  Fingers crossed!

Problem Solver

Gianna2 wrote:

Thank you.  Will look into it and see if it is worthwhile.  Would like to just remedy current problem so will contact Comcast and Apple.  One or the other should have a fix.  Fingers crossed!

Good luck! The Playback Issue::8001 is a comcast problem, its been reported many time in the forums, apple won't know anything about it.

Service Expert

Gianna2 wrote:

You seem to know a lot about how the recording process works at Comcast.  Have I been misinformed by the Comcast technicians about content on the old DVRs?  Will it be lost?  I can't think of a way to save it as there is no storage to cloud option on the unit. Are you aware of something I can do?  The old DVR is trash, but I have a lot of content that I love and am really happy with just recording on the iPad.  This is truly the first time I've had a problem with it. I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks.

adding to other responses.. you can arrange with billing to keep your old DVRs and watch them empty and then return as they are 'watched' clean. you can offload to a DVD recorder or VCR also. When you are ready to return you take to a UPS store and they will box it and return it giving you a receipt/record of the device. When Comcast receives they will remove the recurring charge for that extra piece of equipment. If you do that, order the equipment from the billing department to be delivered or by a professional tech install. the X1 needs a good clean signal path as well as a MoCA POE filter on the outside interface box on your home.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the info

New Poster

I have the exact same problem on my iPad Mini and get the same error message. I haven't been able to watch any recording for over a week. Anyone know why?

New Poster

I initiate the recording using my TV/DVR. I used to watch recordings on my iPad Mini. Haven't been able to watch any recordings on my iPad Mini for over a week.

Frequent Visitor

I initiate everything from the iPad Pro, so it doesn't seem to matter how the program is set.  I was OK through recordings made last Thursday.  Didn't record Friday, but Saturday recordings have begun with the 8001 message.  It is apparently a recurring Comcast problem.  Last documented in March per a search I have done, but I cannot tell how it was resolved.

Service Expert

Dcohen99 wrote:

I initiate the recording using my TV/DVR. I used to watch recordings on my iPad Mini. Haven't been able to watch any recordings on my iPad Mini for over a week.

did you try to watch the same recording on a desk/laptop to see if the cloud plays on the computer? I use my iPAD mini often and just watched live and recorded TV on it just now. have you tried hard reboot of your iPad? are you up to date on iOS updates (what version is running?). what version is the Xfinity Stream TV app on the device? do you have an iPhone and if so, does the recording play on it?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for all your help.  First, I don't watch on a computer or laptop.  Use a TV, iPad Pro or iPhone 6 (waiting for the iPhone 8).  I know that it is definitely not the 10.3.3 update, and the timing is merely coincidental as I updated the iOS software on my iPad to 10.3.3 on Friday, but have not yet done so on my iPhone.  However, I CANNOT playback the recordings on either device.  I have version 4.3.1853 updated July 21 on both the iPad Pro and the iPhone.  Purely coincidental that I installed the 10.3.3 iOS update on the same date. I HAVE been able to watch shows "on demand" on TV.  I have not done the "forced" hard reboot of the iPad, but turn it off completely every night.  Will try the hard reboot now, but didn't see anything in older discussions that mentioned this as a problem solver. Do you know what, other than a Comcast patch, finally resolved the last issue in March?

Frequent Visitor

Just did a hard reboot, and NO change.  Still get the 8001 message.  This does appear to be an issue every time a new version of the Xfinity streaming package is released.  

Service Expert

Gianna2 wrote:

Just did a hard reboot, and NO change.  Still get the 8001 message.  This does appear to be an issue every time a new version of the Xfinity streaming package is released.  

based on previous posts the 8001 is the file is not available (playable) via the stream app. The real test would be to change to the website stream and see if the file will play there which would rule out anything related to 'device' (like iPad). It happens sometimes even to me to get an 8001 but it is usually a months old title/episode.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I wasn't sure what you meant by "website" so I tried a few things.  Previously, I had tried to play the programs I had recorded from the "On Demand" section of the Xfinity Streaming app.  These would not play -- gave me the 8001 message as they indicated that the show had been recorded. I then tried a few other things.  For Animal Kingdom, a TNT show, I went to the TNT standalone app (I've had lots of problems with Xfinity in the past so I have a number of standalone apps) and the show streamed flawlessly.  Then, I went back to Xfinity.  I went to "On Demand", deleted the recording, and the show streamed flawlessly.  So, it is not the iPad.  It is, IMHO, a problem with the Xfinity recording or playback software.  Any further thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks for all your help.

Service Expert

Gianna2 wrote:

I wasn't sure what you meant by "website" so I tried a few things.  Previously, I had tried to play the programs I had recorded from the "On Demand" section of the Xfinity Streaming app.  These would not play -- gave me the 8001 message as they indicated that the show had been recorded. I then tried a few other things.  For Animal Kingdom, a TNT show, I went to the TNT standalone app (I've had lots of problems with Xfinity in the past so I have a number of standalone apps) and the show streamed flawlessly.  Then, I went back to Xfinity.  I went to "On Demand", deleted the recording, and the show streamed flawlessly.  So, it is not the iPad.  It is, IMHO, a problem with the Xfinity recording or playback software.  Any further thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks for all your help.

using a desk/laptop or any non-smart device by google or apple go to https://tv.xfinity.com/

apparently there is some contract requirement that If an episode is on your DVR that you can not watch the on-demand version (perhaps something to do with advertisements). Since the cloud recording is corrupt and won't play (8001 error) then you are stuck unless you delete the asset from the DVR. Just another quirk of the business, I guess.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

Hi all. 

Hoping this will address most of the questions raised in this thread:

• There is no contract requirement that if you have a recording you can't watch the equivalent OnDemand program. The app is trying to help you pick the "best option to watch," which will be a recording if you have one. If that recording isn't working, you'll want the OnDemand program (if available) instead. (We're considering offering an OnDemand option whenever trying to play the recording results in an error, but we haven't done that work yet.) To see all your viewing options, turn off the Play Best Available option in Settings. This will bring back the old Watch Options dialog when you tap the Watch button in an entity screen. Alternatively, you can delete the recording, which will cause it to no longer be the best option, and the next best option will be the default watch option.
  • An 8001 error means that the recording cannot be located. The reason the error message says to try again later is that most locator failures are temporary—a server is down, or is getting too much load, or isn't able to retrieve a record fast enough. Trying again in a few minutes or hours will usually result in success. However! Sometimes when a recording can't be located, it's because something more serious went wrong—like the program failed to record entirely—and the locator service never got the message that the recording failed. You will continue to get 8001 errors until the failure notification is processed. I totally acknowledge that this is not a great experience, as you get errors for a while... and then no recording when everything gets sorted out. This happened in the Greater Boston area the other night. :-( 
  • 8001 errors only happen on recordings, not live or OnDemand programs.
  • If you're using Xfinity Stream to record programs, you have Cloud DVR. The app does not currently support recording for non-X1 customers. (Xfinity TV Remote does, fwiw.) As was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, recordings are scheduled locally on your X1 DVR as well as in the cloud. Most of the time you do not need to worry about this at all, but it's worth noting that [a] cloud storage is limited to 60 hours, so older programs may be deleted from the cloud and yet still be available on your physical DVR, and [b] it is possible for the local recording to fail and the cloud recording to succeed, and vice versa. If you replaced your physical DVR, you would lose the recordings that are only on the local device. Anything in the cloud would stay.

LHC

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for posting this information.  I am, however, aware of all this.  As I mentioned above, while I have the X1 service, I have never swapped out my old DVR as I have quite a bit of content that I chose not to lose.  The old DVRs did not back up to the cloud and, therefore, when removed for some reason -- i.e., defect, upgrade -- all content would be lost. As it is SO much easier for me to just record on the iPad Pro, I RARELY use the DVR at all but do know that my currently "8001" shows are not present on it.  

FWIW, I have been dealing with other issues and had not had time to contact Comcast service re.this issue.  Miraculously, on Sunday evening, shows that had recorded began to playback without the "8001" issue.  I did NOTHING to change settings and there were no updates during the period, so haven't a clue why this mystery problem began or remedied itself.  While I would love to credit someone with a solution, it appears to have "fallen from the sky."  Just hoping that the update of yesterday, which I just noticed, will not cause problems.  Hope that others who were experiencing the same problem fell into the same lucky fix!

Regular Visitor

I am having the exact same issue, in fact if you look back at 2015 posts, 2016 posts and 2017 posts, doesn't matter what they change the app name to...now Xfinity Stream TV, there is complaints about this problem all 3 years. I was trying to leave town for the weekend with my promised cloud dvr shows in tow.

I've seen many answers by Comcast/Xfinity employees saying that the dvr cloud files sometimes corrupts playback on device, WHAT?

Why are their commercials still pushing this app like it's a great thing? Why on TV under help and support they have 2 videos you can watch on how to use this "WONDERFUL" feature and it's NEVER worked right according to blogs and posts. Take your recordings on the go? BS, 99% of my saved recordings don't show on the app. Why does this company continue to toot they're horn on commercials, buy up Arena's, but we put up with such inferior service. If they were a restaurant would we keep eating there? NO WAY! Oh yeah, monopoly...weird how Amazon and Netflix seem to work just fine for so much less money per year. 

They might start listening and fixing instead of phone transfering and excusing if we all CANCEL cancel cable and only reward the companies and apps that work. I'm done trying to get this app to work for my trip. Going to bring good book instead, let's all do this Smiley Happy 

Frequent Visitor

Can't say that I disagree.  Believe that I said in my first thread that I was always much happier with DirectTV.  However, Comcast prices their package well with the Three-pack deal (Phone, Internet, and TV) and, at least, in our area, there isn't much competition for the Internet service.  Their phone is decent and really inexpensive so, by default, you wind up with this second-rate TV service unless you want to pay for two providers.  Over the years, I've spent hundreds of hours on on phone or here in my home with Comcast technicians.  Should not be so difficult.  Never had a problem with DirectTV and we had for three or four years.  I think that Comcast is focused primarily on providing internet services and TV is a secondary product line.  They just don't make the investment that they should and we, the consumers, pay the price!

Service Expert

Gianna2 wrote:

Thank you for posting this information.  I am, however, aware of all this.  As I mentioned above, while I have the X1 service, I have never swapped out my old DVR as I have quite a bit of content that I chose not to lose.  The old DVRs did not back up to the cloud and, therefore, when removed for some reason -- i.e., defect, upgrade -- all content would be lost. As it is SO much easier for me to just record on the iPad Pro, I RARELY use the DVR at all but do know that my currently "8001" shows are not present on it.  

FWIW, I have been dealing with other issues and had not had time to contact Comcast service re.this issue.  Miraculously, on Sunday evening, shows that had recorded began to playback without the "8001" issue.  I did NOTHING to change settings and there were no updates during the period, so haven't a clue why this mystery problem began or remedied itself.  While I would love to credit someone with a solution, it appears to have "fallen from the sky."  Just hoping that the update of yesterday, which I just noticed, will not cause problems.  Hope that others who were experiencing the same problem fell into the same lucky fix!

what old DVR model are you speaking of? why would you 'turn it in' or swap it if you are having no problems? Recordings that you make are 'duplicated' in the cloud DVR and the home DVR. Your iPAD only plays back the recording. You can however download recordings for playback later without need of internet. There is no 'backup' going on from the home DVR to any cloud area at all.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Sorry, as I mentioned in an earlier post, while we have the highest speed in home internet and X1 service, I have NOT swapped out my old DVR.  I am using the MOTO MOR200BN DVR, which is not an X1 DVR.  Therefore, what I record to my iPad is NOT on my DVR and vice versa.  I have

S

MOTO MOR200BN DVR.  Using with X1 Service by choice.

Service Expert

Gianna2 wrote:

Sorry, as I mentioned in an earlier post, while we have the highest speed in home internet and X1 service, I have NOT swapped out my old DVR.  I am using the MOTO MOR200BN DVR, which is not an X1 DVR.  Therefore, what I record to my iPad is NOT on my DVR and vice versa.  I have

MOTO MOR200BN DVR.  Using with X1 Service by choice.

the iPad again does not 'reocrd' in its own memory. the iPad plays back cloud recordings. As a test go to a desk/laptop and open a browser to https://tv.xfinity.com/ and see the recordings that are on your cloud DVR. To my understanding you can't have cloud DVR (that you can view on your iPad for example) without an X1 DVR but you may have another DVR (has a clock) in your home or they set up your account as if you have an X1 DVR so the cloud recording is being made.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

PLAYBACK ISSUE: 8001

Im thinking that there is a communication issue with Xfinity and iPhone. Im having this same issue as we speak. It is so frustrating...Also when the app ask if I want to "resume or start over" I'll select one or the other but it wont play my darn recording it will exit out of the app and return to the home screen on my iPhone. Why is it doing this?

Service Expert

Re: PLAYBACK ISSUE: 8001

TVWatcher5 wrote:

Im thinking that there is a communication issue with Xfinity and iPhone. Im having this same issue as we speak. It is so frustrating...Also when the app ask if I want to "resume or start over" I'll select one or the other but it wont play my darn recording it will exit out of the app and return to the home screen on my iPhone. Why is it doing this?

because of board changes I can't refer you to a post in this same thread by message number. It is at the top of the page but you can hit this link to see it directly. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Problem-with-Watching-Recorded-Content-on-iPad-Pro-since-...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon