Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Not able to watch all channels

New Poster

Not able to watch all channels

Why is it that when I want to use my tablet to watch sports events such as NFL it tells me I can only watch at home?  I only try to watch channels that I am receiving at my home when using my tablet.  Example:  I get ESPN at home and I am able to watch Monday Night Football.  I was away from home Monday night and was going to watch the game on my tablet, but it said that I could not watch it.  If I have the channel on my home system, why can't I watch it on my table from anywhere?

Problem Solver

Re: Not able to watch all channels


dcalli wrote:

Why is it that when I want to use my tablet to watch sports events such as NFL it tells me I can only watch at home?  I only try to watch channels that I am receiving at my home when using my tablet.  Example:  I get ESPN at home and I am able to watch Monday Night Football.  I was away from home Monday night and was going to watch the game on my tablet, but it said that I could not watch it.  If I have the channel on my home system, why can't I watch it on my table from anywhere?


Because Comcast doesn't have the rights from the channel producer to allow them to stream you that channel when away from home. When you are on your home network using Comcast as your ISP, Comcast is streaming that channel to you through their own proprietary network. When you are away from home, you are using the Internet, and Comcast is not allowed to stream every channel you get through the Internet, only those that have been marked TV GO are allowed. Here is where you would blame ESPN, not Comcast.

Regular Contributor

Re: Not able to watch all channels

That's probably close ...

Regular Contributor

Re: Not able to watch all channels

correct .. COMCAST is not authorized to stream every channel .. away from your homeNetwork..  some.. not all .

Frequent Visitor

Re: Not able to watch all channels

This is mostly correct but its less about Comcast rights and more about ESPN. ESPN doesn't even allow mobile streaming Monday Night Football on their own app so they definitly would not allow it through Comcast. 

 

Likely reasoning is mobile streaming doesn't show advertising, so forcing people to watch ESPN on their TV or through their web players would get more advertising views. 

Problem Solver

Re: Not able to watch all channels


whereamigoing wrote:

This is mostly correct but its less about Comcast rights and more about ESPN. ESPN doesn't even allow mobile streaming Monday Night Football on their own app so they definitly would not allow it through Comcast. 

 

Likely reasoning is mobile streaming doesn't show advertising, so forcing people to watch ESPN on their TV or through their web players would get more advertising views. 


If you are watching something LIVE, the stream will contain whatever the producer wants it to contain, including advertisements. So most likely the blame should really fall on the NFL . They most likely tell ESPN what they are allowed to stream to mobile devices. Like I said in my original post, blame the producer, not the broadcaster.

Official Employee

Re: Not able to watch all channels


HowAboutThisOne wrote:

whereamigoing wrote:

This is mostly correct but its less about Comcast rights and more about ESPN. ESPN doesn't even allow mobile streaming Monday Night Football on their own app so they definitly would not allow it through Comcast. 

 

Likely reasoning is mobile streaming doesn't show advertising, so forcing people to watch ESPN on their TV or through their web players would get more advertising views. 


If you are watching something LIVE, the stream will contain whatever the producer wants it to contain, including advertisements. So most likely the blame should really fall on the NFL . They most likely tell ESPN what they are allowed to stream to mobile devices. Like I said in my original post, blame the producer, not the broadcaster.


Correct, it is an NFL restriction that passes through to the distributors (ESPN and Comcast). Certain events are blocked on phones but not tablets.