New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

NBC Streaming App (Does HD = 1080P ?)

ANSWERED
Problem Solver

NBC Streaming App (Does HD = 1080P ?)

I am posting here since this forum currently covers 4K posts.

Comcast and NBS are part of the same company group. So does anyone here have testing equipment, or knowledge, to confirm if the HD signal for programs on the app are sent out in 1080p over the Internet? I realize that NBC is transmitted in 1080i over the air, and in 1080i (MPEG2) over the cable, No information found on the app to know for sure.

Accepted Solution

Re: NBC Streaming App (Does HD = 1080P ?)

After comparing same shows found on cable as 1080i, and on the NBC app, it does look like the shows are Blu-ray quality (1080p). The same can't be said for commercials which are inserted.

It wouldn't make sense for NBC to create the app for Broadband internet without 1080p quality. The main reason for having an app for large screen televisions would be the ability to use MPEG 4 to send a 1080p (Blu-ray qualtity programs). They already have 1080i for OTA and cable broadcasting.

View answer in context
Service Expert

MNtundraRET wrote:

I am posting here since this forum currently covers 4K posts.

Comcast and NBS are part of the same company group. So does anyone here have testing equipment, or knowledge, to confirm if the HD signal for programs on the app are sent out in 1080p over the Internet? I realize that NBC is transmitted in 1080i over the air, and in 1080i (MPEG2) over the cable, No information found on the app to know for sure.

Hi, I moved your post to the streaming area of the forum. Comcast takes the supplied HEVC and outputs it as 720P60 mpeg4,  while your local broadcast channels keep their native format of 720p or 1080i in mpeg2. I'm not sure if Comcast limits your feed to 480p if the cell provider sends that request (some mobile carriers limit their unlimited service to 480p). 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Problem Solver

I get the NBC App directly off the Internet through my DSL service, Rusty. Nothing really to do with Comcast, only NBC.

Thank you for the information anyway.

Problem Solver

This app was found on my Samsung UHD television's compatible apps in the last few months.  I finally signed onto the app a few days ago. After watching a few shows in the last few days it certainly looks like at least 1080p quality upscaled to 4K on my television. It would be nice if NBC confirmed what the app is capable of.

Problem Solver

After comparing same shows found on cable as 1080i, and on the NBC app, it does look like the shows are Blu-ray quality (1080p). The same can't be said for commercials which are inserted.

It wouldn't make sense for NBC to create the app for Broadband internet without 1080p quality. The main reason for having an app for large screen televisions would be the ability to use MPEG 4 to send a 1080p (Blu-ray qualtity programs). They already have 1080i for OTA and cable broadcasting.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation