Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Local network stations are not available for streaming in the Tampa Bay area Florida area.

SOLVED
Highlighted
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 5

After 5 days of calling Comcast tech support and wasting literally hours on troubleshooting because I could only view my local channels on my STB and no other way (not online at the xfinity website, not on the Stream TV app and not on my Roku). This included speaking with three different level 3 techs, one of which even told me that they found the source of my problem and it would take up to three days to resolve because it was an engineering issue.

I spoke to yet another level 3 tech this morning who reviewed my account notes and within 5 minutes found the cause of my issue. The reason I could not stream my local stations is because Comcast does not have the proper permissions to stream them. The tech even sent me a screen shot showing this to be the case. I was not happy at that moment, but I knew as I do everytime I speak to someone at Comcast it's not that person's fault.

I was less than a week into my 2-year contract so I called and canceled my television service. As soon as my area gets access to another choice for HSI I'll cancel that as well.

4 REPLIES
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 2 of 5

Ok, I don't know what to think about this anymore. I just checked my Roku to see if Comcast had discontinued my tv service as I requested and now my local channels are showing there. 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 3 of 5

Turtletaub wrote:

Ok, I don't know what to think about this anymore. I just checked my Roku to see if Comcast had discontinued my tv service as I requested and now my local channels are showing there. 

I checked our internal tool and see local channel availability in your area for the XFINITY Stream apps and Roku. There were a couple other customers in Florida recently with a similar issue so glad to see it is resolved. 

One thing to note is that local live streamin channels are available in the Stream apps and website but only while in your home and connected to your XFINITY network. There are up to 200 channels available anywhere in the USA but local broadcast rights aren't yet available from network affiliates (i.e. stations not owned by the main network).  However, this is On Demand content available from almost all networks with over 40,000 choices - some of which can be downloaded to watch even when you are offline.

Best,
ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 4 of 5
Solution

Thanks ComcastDan. I never know what to believe when I am on the phone with Comcast anymore. I called back after seeing that the local channels magically appeared and signed back up for the tv service. The CSR verified I had my own modem and told me that I wouldn't be charged $10.00 for one. I got 'Your service changes are confirmed' email from Comcast a little later and you won't believe it, but the Wireless Gateway charge was there!

I then called Comcast back and had a CSR look into it and again verify that I do indeed have my own modem. They then said they were going to remove the charge. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is done and I won't have to call back. I won't hold my breath, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully, they do and I can go at least another year without calling Comcast.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 5 of 5

Turtletaub wrote:

Thanks ComcastDan. I never know what to believe when I am on the phone with Comcast anymore. I called back after seeing that the local channels magically appeared and signed back up for the tv service. The CSR verified I had my own modem and told me that I wouldn't be charged $10.00 for one. I got 'Your service changes are confirmed' email from Comcast a little later and you won't believe it, but the Wireless Gateway charge was there!

I then called Comcast back and had a CSR look into it and again verify that I do indeed have my own modem. They then said they were going to remove the charge. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is done and I won't have to call back. I won't hold my breath, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully, they do and I can go at least another year without calling Comcast.

Ugh. I'm so sorry.  Glad you added back the TV service - I hope you enjoy it once all the account issues are worked out.

When connected to your in-home XFINITY network, you can watch all the same channels and On Demand you have on your television. To do this, we match the address of your connection with the modem registered on your account. Sometimes when customers have their own modems, they need to call and have them "added to an outlet on the account".  If you get a warning that you aren't on your home network (when you actually are), you may need to call and have them add your modem. Just giving you a heads up to avoid frustration if it comes up.  If you're already watching the in-home content - you're all set!

Best,
ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon