members

online now

discussions

KHOU - "Something went wrong" Error: DRM-1

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 25

Haven't been able to live stream KHOU via the beta app on my Roku 3 for several days. Other channels work fine.

When I try to click the "Watch" button via the "Live TV / TV Listings" for channel 11, I get: 

Sorry! Something went wrong. Please try again later. 

(Error DRM-1)

Same thing happens on a few of the other channels, but all of the other national broadcast channels work fine.

24 REPLIES
Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 2 of 25
I get the same problem. Hope there is a solution out there. Tried restarting the Roku but that didn't work.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 3 of 25

I have the same issue, not able to play some channels, including Root Sports, Fox Sports and others. DRM.-1 problem. It was working a ferw weeks ago.

What is the problem????

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 4 of 25

This problem has been linked to a problem many others have also reported. It started June 21 and is now in day 18 of not being fixed.

I suggest reading this post: Error codes merged together in national outage: 102100.29, 102100.43, and DRM-1

I have had an open ticket and have talked with their level 3 advanced repair department several times. Hopefully, they'll get it fixed soon, but they can't offer a date yet.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 5 of 25

Complexity2 wrote:

This problem has been linked to a problem many others have also reported. It started June 21 and is now in day 18 of not being fixed.

I suggest reading this post: Error codes merged together in national outage: 102100.29, 102100.43, and DRM-1

I have had an open ticket and have talked with their level 3 advanced repair department several times. Hopefully, they'll get it fixed soon, but they can't offer a date yet.

is this a roku device?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 6 of 25
Rustyben wrote:

is this a roku device?

Is the DRM-1 error different for different devices?

If so, what does DRM-1 error mean when streaming on a PC vs a DRM-1 error when streaming on a Roku?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 7 of 25

Complexity2 wrote:
Rustyben wrote:

is this a roku device?

Is the DRM-1 error different for different devices?

If so, what does DRM-1 error mean when streaming on a PC vs a DRM-1 error when streaming on a Roku?

you failed to answer the question.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 8 of 25
Rustyben wrote: 

The thread to which I linked clearly answered the question. Did you not read it? Just looking at the forum in which it was posted gives the answer even if you did not read the information posted in the thread.

Here's another link to the entire thread: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/Errors-streaming-many-channels-Error-102100-29-L...

Now will you please answer my question. If the Comcast engineers connect these issues, why are you questioning them? What do you know that indicates that these two issues are not connected as Comcast's engineers have stated?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 9 of 25

Complexity2 wrote:
Rustyben wrote: 

The thread to which I linked clearly answered the question. Did you not read it? Just looking at the forum in which it was posted gives the answer even if you did not read the information posted in the thread.

Here's another link to the entire thread: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/Errors-streaming-many-channels-Error-102100-29-L...

Now will you please answer my question. If the Comcast engineers connect these issues, why are you questioning them? What do you know that indicates that these two issues are not connected as Comcast's engineers have stated?

for Roku the general fix for DRM errors is to logout of the app, uninstall it, remove the Roku from the TV and reboot the TV. reattach the Roku (might try another input on HDMI if available), install the app and login. The DRM errors on the Roku is caused by a handshake error between the hardware (not the Xfinity software) of the Roku and the TV. You might want to leave TV 'off' and insert and remove the Roku 5-10 times to 'clean' the contacts. It is not recommended to spray any household products on the contacts. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 10 of 25

Rustyben wrote:

for Roku the general fix for DRM errors is to logout of the app, uninstall it, remove the Roku from the TV and reboot the TV. reattach the Roku (might try another input on HDMI if available), install the app and login. The DRM errors on the Roku is caused by a handshake error between the hardware (not the Xfinity software) of the Roku and the TV. You might want to leave TV 'off' and insert and remove the Roku 5-10 times to 'clean' the contacts. It is not recommended to spray any household products on the contacts. 

That's a copy and paste answer. I don't think you have taken the time to actually read the information about the problem. And you appear to be assuming that all DRM errors have the same cause and fix (which begs the question: if they're all the same, then why are there multiple DRM error codes?).

While your information may help some people, the information posted by customers in this thread and the thread to which I linked have very similar specific information, such as KHOU (which is a Houston, TX station), Root Sports, and Fox Sports not working. The people here are not saying all the channels are affected, just like the problem in the other thread.

It was the level 3 advanced repair tech who told me the three error codes that have been linked together on a SI ticket (number given in the other thread). Although I do not immediately believe everything they say, the information given so far seems to match up (when talking with level 3; lower level techs are clueless). A problem with Cloud TV appears to be capable of affecting streaming from a computer browser and Roku (as per the cloud tv info to which I linked in the other thread). So that checked out, as well, further supporting Dan's (level 3 tech) information.

In order to offer an intelligent suggestion that fits the specifics of a problem, it is important to first familiarize oneself with the specifics of the problem (i.e., read all the posts in both threads). Although I appreciate that you mean well, throwing out a copy/paste generic answer which does not fit the specifics of the problem being discussed only confuses and complicates the problem.

We want this problem fixed. Many of us have cleared cookies and cache, logged out and back in, tried multiple platforms, had our account reset, and have gone through support levels 1, 2, and 3, performing all the instructions they offered ad nauseum, ending with open tickets when nothing worked. We have spent endless hours on the phone with Comcast level 3 to get this fixed.

If this problem was so easy to fix using your instructions, do you really think the Comcast engineers wouldn't have figured that out by now?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 11 of 25

Complexity2 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

That's a copy and paste answer. I don't think you have taken the time to actually read the information about the problem. And you appear to be assuming that all DRM errors have the same cause and fix (which begs the question: if they're all the same, then why are there multiple DRM error codes?).

While your information may help some people, the information posted by customers in this thread and the thread to which I linked have very similar specific information, such as KHOU (which is a Houston, TX station), Root Sports, and Fox Sports not working. The people here are not saying all the channels are affected, just like the problem in the other thread.

It was the level 3 advanced repair tech who told me the three error codes that have been linked together on a SI ticket (number given in the other thread). Although I do not immediately believe everything they say, the information given so far seems to match up (when talking with level 3; lower level techs are clueless). A problem with Cloud TV appears to be capable of affecting streaming from a computer browser and Ruko (as per the cloud tv info to which I linked in the other thread). So that checked out, as well, further supporting Dan's (level 3 tech) information.

In order to offer an intelligent suggestion that fits the specifics of a problem, it is important to first familiarize oneself with the specifics of the problem (i.e., read all the posts in both threads). Although I appreciate that you mean well, throwing out a copy/paste generic answer which does not fit the specifics of the problem being discussed only confuses and complicates the problem.

We want this problem fixed. Many of us have cleared cookies and cache, logged out and back in, tried multiple platforms, had our account reset, and have gone through support levels 1, 2, and 3, performing all the instructions they offered ad nauseum, ending with open tickets when nothing worked. We have spent endless hours on the phone with Comcast level 3 to get this fixed.

If this problem was so easy to fix using your instructions, do you really think the Comcast engineers wouldn't have figured that out by now? 

there was no 'copy/paste' fwiw. DRM is digital rights management, demanded enforcement by the MPAA by disconnecting the digital HD stream. Has nothing to do with the 'tuned channel' because on the HDMI stream, there is only data (no tuning information). the two HDMI devices must handshake (agree on a secure encrypted connection)and maintain that encryption end to end and instantly disconnect before the transmission if any of the HDMI devices are 'banned' or disconnect in mid-stream of the program if any of the HDMI devices fail a handshake. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 12 of 25

Rustyben wrote:

there was no 'copy/paste' fwiw. DRM is digital rights management, demanded enforcement by the MPAA by disconnecting the digital HD stream. Has nothing to do with the 'tuned channel' because on the HDMI stream, there is only data (no tuning information). the two HDMI devices must handshake (agree on a secure encrypted connection)and maintain that encryption end to end and instantly disconnect before the transmission if any of the HDMI devices are 'banned' or disconnect in mid-stream of the program if any of the HDMI devices fail a handshake. 

I apologize for the accusation that you had offered a copy/paste reply. I admit that I'm pretty grumpy about all this because it has dragged on for so long, and I've talked to far too many techs that had no clue what was going on (I really wish they would just say they don't know and not make up things). I'll try to respond less defensively.

I was able to follow your explanation of how the handshake takes place. You said it had nothing to do with the 'tuned channel'. So why does the error only occur with specific channels? Wouldn't it be happening with all the channels? How can the tuned channel not matter, but still matter?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 13 of 25

Complexity2 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

I apologize for the accusation that you had offered a copy/paste reply. I admit that I'm pretty grumpy about all this because it has dragged on for so long, and I've talked to far too many techs that had no clue what was going on (I really wish they would just say they don't know and not make up things). I'll try to respond less defensively.

I was able to follow your explanation of how the handshake takes place. You said it had nothing to do with the 'tuned channel'. So why does the error only occur with specific channels? Wouldn't it be happening with all the channels? How can the tuned channel not matter, but still matter?

I fully agree it makes no sense either. speculating that possibly signal is so low that the decryption process is getting too much bad data and fails detecting a security issue shuts down the stream (the DRM error). but that is just speculation. Comcast has announced it is moving to all IP delivery so that may fix the issue since the data will be encapsulated in packets that can 'be' corrected when an error occurs. Time will tell. Coming DOCSIS 3.1 is a major change and required for use with non-IP delivery of HD levels above 1080p. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 14 of 25

Rustyben wrote:

I fully agree it makes no sense either. speculating that possibly signal is so low that the decryption process is getting too much bad data and fails detecting a security issue shuts down the stream (the DRM error). but that is just speculation. Comcast has announced it is moving to all IP delivery so that may fix the issue since the data will be encapsulated in packets that can 'be' corrected when an error occurs. Time will tell. Coming DOCSIS 3.1 is a major change and required for use with non-IP delivery of HD levels above 1080p. 

So we agree that even though the channel should not matter, it does matter with this particular problem. Therefore, there must be something causing that problem.

We have established that data is sent from Comcast's side to do the handshake on a Roku. Where does that data come from? And could something on Comcast's side be causing that data to send incorrect information for the handshake? Whatever it is, it has to be something that is specific to certain channels or a certain "set" of channels (i.e., local channels).

Where does the handshake data on Comcast's side originate? And keep in mind, if these DRM-1 errors are in fact connected to the 102100.29 errors, as Comcast's engineers claim, then whatever the cause, it must be present when both, a computer (website) or a Roku (?), requests the data. So it would seem the cause is already there when each device (computer, Roku) attempts to acquire the data. (Not sure I explained that well; I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.)

At one point, one of the level 3 techs told me the problem had to do with Cloud TV. Perhaps this is the common link between the two different errors received from two sources (website/computer, Roku). Perhaps the problem exists with Cloud TV which then cause different errors, depending on which device is making the request.

Thank you for persisting to offer the knowledge you have, especially since I was responding defensively in the beginning. I'd really like to understand the problem. I know I can't know the intricate technical details of what's gone wrong, but I would like to have at least some basic understanding of it.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 15 of 25

Complexity2 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

So we agree that even though the channel should not matter, it does matter with this particular problem. Therefore, there must be something causing that problem.

We have established that data is sent from Comcast's side to do the handshake on a Ruko. Where does that data come from? And could something on Comcast's side be causing that data to send incorrect information for the handshake? Whatever it is, it has to be something that is specific to certain channels or a certain "set" of channels (i.e., local channels).

Where does the handshake data on Comcast's side originate? And keep in mind, if these DRM-1 errors are in fact connected to the 102100.29 errors, as Comcast's engineers claim, then whatever the cause, it must be present when both, a computer (website) or a Ruko (?), requests the data. So it would seem the cause is already there when each device (computer, Ruko) attempts to acquire the data. (Not sure I explained that well; I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.)

At one point, one of the level 3 techs told me the problem had to do with Cloud TV. Perhaps this is the common link between the two different errors received from two sources (website/computer, Ruko). Perhaps the problem exists with Cloud TV which then cause different errors, depending on which device is making the request.

Thank you for persisting to offer the knowledge you have, especially since I was responding defensively in the beginning. I'd really like to understand the problem. I know I can't know the intricate technical details of what's gone wrong, but I would like to have at least some basic understanding of it.

Comcast is providing IPTV to the Roku using some variation of IP multi-casting of the mpeg4 (normally) stream. Comcast takes one feed (currently changing to HEVC h.265) and puts it out to SD and HD channels downconverting on the fly just in time. It is that stream of mpeg2 or mpeg4 encrypted data streams that the Roku is receiving. the DRM is between devices (TV/Roku) as opposed to software (the Xfinity app). The DRM shutoff is fixable with an unplug/plugin cycle of the Roku or power down of the TV's HDMI receiver jack. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 16 of 25

Rustyben wrote:

Comcast is providing IPTV to the Roku using some variation of IP multi-casting of the mpeg4 (normally) stream. Comcast takes one feed (currently changing to HEVC h.265) and puts it out to SD and HD channels downconverting on the fly just in time. It is that stream of mpeg2 or mpeg4 encrypted data streams that the Roku is receiving. the DRM is between devices (TV/Roku) as opposed to software (the Xfinity app). The DRM shutoff is fixable with an unplug/plugin cycle of the Roku or power down of the TV's HDMI receiver jack. 

The question I have is where does the handshake data from Comcast to the TV first originate? Doesn't the TV need to have the correct data from Comcast to do a DRM handshake? What if something is causing that data to be corrupted (or just wrong)?

I got another update on the issue I've been talking about. I'll copy/paste part of the update here. The full post has more information which can be seen by clicking this link.

• The ticket for this problem is: SI-021459007 ← this is the ticket for what some techs have called the "national outage"
  • The problem appears to be only for the Houston area at this time (even though some techs call it a "national" outage)
  • Notes on SI ticket
    • Cloud TV team -- still investigating
    • Pilar Bug ← pilar needs to be corrected
      • (something) pointing to it
      • does not support the media
      • format software / media player
      • not writing fragments for all profiles
      • upstream okay, but downstream not getting to us

What I'm understanding is that they are working on the problem; it seems they have pinpointed the general area of the problem, but can't figure out the specific cause. They know it has something to do with Cloud TV and the "pilar" (if someone knows what that is, please tell me). It seems that something about the pilar is causing the downstream to not reach us (it's not writing all fragments for all profiles). It has to do with the software not working with the media player.

So with that information, Rustyben, do you think it is impossible for a DRM-1 error to occur?

Also, can you shed some light on what a pilar is and how it works with the software, media player, and downstreaming? I would really appreciate it. I invite you to post in the other thread if you think it doesn't apply to this thread.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 17 of 25

Complexity2 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

The question I have is where does the handshake data from Comcast to the TV first originate? Doesn't the TV need to have the correct data from Comcast to do a DRM handshake? What if something is causing that data to be corrupted (or just wrong)?

I got another update on the issue I've been talking about. I'll copy/paste part of the update here. The full post has more information which can be seen by clicking this link.

• The ticket for this problem is: SI-021459007 ← this is the ticket for what some techs have called the "national outage"
  • The problem appears to be only for the Houston area at this time (even though some techs call it a "national" outage)
  • Notes on SI ticket
    • Cloud TV team -- still investigating
    • Pilar Bug ← pilar needs to be corrected
      • (something) pointing to it
      • does not support the media
      • format software / media player
      • not writing fragments for all profiles
      • upstream okay, but downstream not getting to us

What I'm understanding is that they are working on the problem; it seems they have pinpointed the general area of the problem, but can't figure out the specific cause. They know it has something to do with Cloud TV and the "pilar" (if someone knows what that is, please tell me). It seems that something about the pilar is causing the downstream to not reach us (it's not writing all fragments for all profiles). It has to do with the software not working with the media player.

So with that information, Rustyben, do you think it is impossible for a DRM-1 error to occur?

Also, can you shed some light on what a pilar is and how it works with the software, media player, and downstreaming? I would really appreciate it. I invite you to post in the other thread if you think it doesn't apply to this thread.

handshake is between 2 devices that are currently trusted to keep the signal fully encrypted. It is hardware (firmware) based. I have no reference to 'pilar'.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 18 of 25

Rustyben wrote:

handshake is between 2 devices that are currently trusted to keep the signal fully encrypted. It is hardware (firmware) based. I have no reference to 'pilar'.

Okay, so it is hardware related. It is not done on the fly with each show.

But how does it know which shows to allow (user is paying for channel) and which to not allow (user is not paying for channel)?

I can't find anything for pilar either. I even confirmed the spelling when talking to the tech.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 19 of 25

Complexity2 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Okay, so it is hardware related. It is not done on the fly with each show.

But how does it know which shows to allow (user is paying for channel) and which to not allow (user is not paying for channel)?

I can't find anything for pilar either. I even confirmed the spelling when talking to the tech.

DRM is handled at the hardware level it is 'only' communion communication related. An example would be a android tablet hooked up to a TV via HDMI. The connection can work fine until material that is DRM restricted from using that HDMI connection from the tablet. The tablet might 'throw' an error with 'DRMxx' (xx = number) but it is a reference for the content was not allowed per the content owner. The point is the hardware won't communicate if the path is not 'permitted'. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 20 of 25

Rustyben wrote:

DRM is handled at the hardware level it is 'only' communion related. An example would be a android tablet hooked up to a TV via HDMI. The connection can work fine until material that is DRM restricted from using that HDMI connection from the tablet. The tablet might 'throw' an error with 'DRMxx' (xx = number) but it is a reference for the content was not allowed per the content owner. The point is the hardware won't communicate if the path is not 'permitted'. 

You keep saying it's all "handled at the hardware level." Yet, that does not answer my question. So let me try another way.

Let's say my neighbor (I'll call him Tom) and I go to the store and buy identical TV sets. While shopping, we both pick up identical Roku players. We each go to our respective homes and hook up our brand new identical TVs and Rokus. Tom is paying for HBO. I am not. Tom tries to watch a show on HBO with success. I try to play the same show, but fail.

How did each of our identical brand new TVs and Rokus (the hardware) know what we were each paying for? I don't believe the TVs and/or Rokus were magically manufactured already knowing what we were each paying for.  SOMETHING had to transmit that data from Comcast to our hardware. What is that SOMETHING?

This requires the person answering the question knows how Comcast transmits that information to the hardware. If you don't know, that's okay; just say so. I have greater respect for someone who says they don't know something than I have for someone who tries to offer an answer that does not actually answer the question.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 21 of 25

Complexity2 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

DRM is handled at the hardware level it is 'only' communion related. An example would be a android tablet hooked up to a TV via HDMI. The connection can work fine until material that is DRM restricted from using that HDMI connection from the tablet. The tablet might 'throw' an error with 'DRMxx' (xx = number) but it is a reference for the content was not allowed per the content owner. The point is the hardware won't communicate if the path is not 'permitted'. 

You keep saying it'll all "handled at the hardware level." Yet, that does not answer my question. So let me try another way.

Let's say my neighbor (I'll call him Tom) and I go to the store and buy identical TV sets. While shopping, we both pick up identical Roku players. We each go to our respective homes and hook up our brand new identical TVs and Rokus. Tom is paying for HBO. I am not. Tom tries to watch a show on HBO with success. I try to play the same show, but fail.

How did each of our identical brand new TVs and Rokus (the hardware) know what we were each paying for? I don't believe the TVs and/or Rokus were magically manufactured already knowing what we were each paying for.  SOMETHING had to transmit that data from Comcast to our hardware. What is that SOMETHING?

This requires the person answering the question knows how Comcast transmits that information to the hardware. If you don't know, that's okay; just say so. I have greater respect for someone who says they don't know something than I have for someone who tries to offer an answer that does not actually answer the question.

I can't think of another way to say that the hardware is enforcing the owner's (of the particular) stream restrictions.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 22 of 25

Rustyben wrote:

I can't think of another way to say that the hardware is enforcing the owner's (of the particular) stream restrictions.

Okay, so you know it happens, but not how it happens. Thanks for offering what you could.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 23 of 25
I'm dealing with this same problem on my Roku tv. Can't watch my Astros while smoking my cigar in my garage or KHOU. I wish they would hurry and fix this. Your correct about most of the techs being clueless on this issue. I've been dealing with them.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 24 of 25

g35man wrote:
I'm dealing with this same problem on my Roku tv. Can't watch my Astros while smoking my cigar in my garage or KHOU. I wish they would hurry and fix this. Your correct about most of the techs being clueless on this issue. I've been dealing with them.

Are you using the beta app?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 25 of 25

The probem reported in the other thread has finally been fixed. If this problem was indeed connected, then it might also be fixed. So check to see if it's working now or if this problem is still broken. I'm hoping it's fixed for us all.