Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

In Home Streaming on PC to HDTV using usb to hdmi converter

Frequent Visitor

In Home Streaming on PC to HDTV using usb to hdmi converter

Trying to stream my channels and dvr recordings using a PC in my home. The Vista desktop is connected to a Samsung tv by a Cable Creations USB to HDMI converter. It is also connected to a VGA monitor. I'm able to select a channel or dvr recording from the list under my account. My problem is that the video loads but freezes on the first frame.

I have a laptop connected by wifi to my gateway and to a tv by hdmi cable in another room where the STB is located. I was able watch all of the channels and dvr recordings with that setup.

What is causing the video to stop when it starts?

Your customer service was clueless accessing my problem.

Thanks in advance for your help

Service Expert

Re: In Home Streaming on PC to HDTV using usb to hdmi converter

jmac1776 wrote:

Trying to stream my channels and dvr recordings using a PC in my home. The Vista desktop is connected to a Samsung tv by a Cable Creations USB to HDMI converter. It is also connected to a VGA monitor. I'm able to select a channel or dvr recording from the list under my account. My problem is that the video loads but freezes on the first frame.

I have a laptop connected by wifi to my gateway and to a tv by hdmi cable in another room where the STB is located. I was able watch all of the channels and dvr recordings with that setup.

if you can watch the streaming on a regular monitor attached to that set top box then it may be a failure of the converter to pass that particular video stream format. did you see if an updated program/driver might be available for the PC?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

jmac1776 wrote:

If you mean your desktop is running windows vista os ("Vista desktop"), that may be the problem, the vista os is not supported by the streaming website.

"Supported Operating Systems

• Windows 10 (Desktop mode)
  • Windows 8 (Desktop mode)
  • Windows 7"

Source: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-website-requirements

Service Expert

if you are running windows vista a free upgrade to ios 10 is available for 2 more days. story and link at https://www.komando.com/happening-now/435708/last-chance-to-get-your-free-windows-10-upgrade-before-...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply mvenanzi,

I was able to watch this morning with the same setup(Vista OS). I can't explain how it worked this time. In the end, I decided to purchase a Roku device and hardwire it to my gateway. Hopefully the stream quality will improve.

Frequent Visitor

The windows 10 upgrade specifies that the upgrade must come from win 7 or 8. I looked at upgrading to win7 and then to win10 in the past. I met all of the hardware criteria except the video card. I don't know if was a deal breaker, however that closed that avenue in my mind. I figure that I'll purchase a cheap mini desktop with win10 already loaded and pull the old Dell Vista offline for storage use.

Frequent Visitor

Hey RB,

My reply from this morning apparently did not post. Not sure why, I guess a rookie mistake on my end.

I was successful this morning watching dvr recordings and live channels. I was using the same setup. I wish I could tell you what I changed to solve the freezing issue. The one difference to my approach was that I used an old unsupported (for Vista) version of Chrome. I was able to view on both monitors (1080P tv & analog vga). Surprised by that, I decided to load the setup from yesterday when I used Firefox (ESR Channel for Vista). Again, I was able to watch on both monitors. The settings on the usb to hdmi converter remained the same at Extended display. The Displaylink driver contained in the converter/external video card was current.

I wish I could help others in the same predicament, but I have no idea why it worked today and not yesterday.

At this point, I have decided to hardwire a Roku to the gateway. I'm hoping for a better quality A/V stream.

Thanks for your help

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation