Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

HBO GO Activation Broken

ANSWERED
New Poster

Re: HBO GO Activation Broken

@ComcastFrancisc I am having the same issue. I have had HBO for months, I was using HBO Go on my roku yesterday (and have been for months) Today I am logged out and can't get back in. As others have said, I go to hbogo.com/activate, select comcast, login, but am never directed back to HBOGo.com to enter the activation code. What is the solution for this issue? This thread has been open for over a year, I can't believe Comcast hasn't addressed this issue. Thanks for helping everyone, and thanks in advance for helping me.

New Poster

I had this exact issue (activation sign in redirects to comcast page), spent two hours with Comcast today and got it resolved! My fix came from a level two video tech. He noticed my user name (comcast email) sign in was not active with my primary account. He reset my login to make my username "active".  Not sure exactly what he did, but the login was the problem.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

New Poster

I posted a reply at the end of this thread (post 102). I got the problem resolved with a level 2 tech. He reset my login information, my user name was not "active" . Hope that helps.

New Poster

I am experiencing this same issue. My devices worked normally for months before I was given the timeout screen.  I have tried activating my AppleTV on both my phone and laptop and with multiple browsers - every time I am redirected to the xfinity HBO page. I can not even sign onto HBO Go on my laptop - this process also redicrects me to the xfinity home page. I notived this thread was created more than a year ago and this problem has still not been resolved. Please help! 

New Poster

The message at the top of the screen reads "Access Rights Validated" before redirecting me to the Xfinity site 

New Poster

Same issue. Can you please re-activate? Thank you
New Poster

I finally had time to call.  The man on the phone took forever to "investigate" even though I tried my best to tell him what was wrong based on this forum.  

He eventually told me that they were having trouble with their database and that was causing the issue.  He couldn't put me on with a tech but said that he was going to have one fix the issues, but that it might take 24-48 hours which was annoying.  I just checked as I am typing this and it already works!

I think your best bet is calling them.

New Poster

@comcastfrancisc
Can you please help me with this same issue. i am stuck in the loop.
New Poster

This just isn't true. I've had HBO Go and have had no problems accessing it via Apple Tv. now, all of a sudden, I am having the same problem as anyone else. It is telling me to reactivate it. When I go through the process on MULTIPLE web browsers, two computers, none of them work. I log in properly, but then it takes me to the Comcast page asking me if I want to add HBO as a channel. Yet I already have it as a channel. If I click add, it takes me to an error screen. I spoke with Comcast and no one knows how to help me. They just do time wasting things like resending activation codes, telling me to change my password.  Someone needs to fix this for me now. 

New Poster

SOLVED 

This worked for me. I have been struggling with this issue for over a week. Here is what I did tonight to ultimately log in. 

1st) I plugged in my cable box. i had it unplggued for some time. i only have a box for the cheaper internet, but hey, if it needs to be plugged in, whatever. 

2nd) I did the comcast chat. I asked them, based on @ComcastFrancisc's advice. to refresh my account and send a new signal to my box. they said something about my account wasn't synced. but couldn't explain it to me. i just told them to make it my current email for my comcast account. whatever. as long as everything is the same email i don't know.

3rd) **this may be the only thing you have to do, but i don't know, Im just going through what I did.** i went to just hbogo.com, NOT /activate, and logged into the website through Comcast, this worked fine, the process went well, I could watch Ballers on my computer. Then I tried the final time, AFTER being logged in through the web. I went through the hbogo.com/activate process... it worked.. I finally went to the screen where I can enter my activation number.

Whatever, comcast is shady, it's the only decent internet provider in my area, and I live in one the of the largest cities in america... they are all terrible, they are all overpriced...eff em all. i need my Ballers.

Regular Visitor

Just spent nearly an hour on the phone with 3 "techs." None of them had a freaking clue what "refeshing the account" or "username not active" meant. One of them was so lacking in clues I was telling HIM how things worked. He was convinced that since I had my comcast email forwarded to another email address, that was the issue. Even though I told him I could log in to Xfinity.com without issue. Ugh.

Anyway, I am having the exact same problem and there's no help to be had. Either on the Android app or browser, I choose Xfinity as the provider and it just goes to an Xfinity page basically advertising HBO. It's like it can't authorize me as having HBO and sends me to an ad page for HBO. It never authorizes and returns to HBO Go, no matter the platform.

Regular Visitor

I am suffering from the exact issue with log in HBOgo through comcast. It always has the dead loop, HBOgo - Sign in - Choose TV provide - Sign in Xfinility - Add Now - Back to HBOgo (not signed in) - Sign in - Choose TV Provider.....

Also I checked my Xfinity stream app, it doesn't have HBO channel on it, but I have HBO if I watch directly through TV cable.

Please help!

Frequent Visitor

I was able to solve this with a quick support chat. I explained that though I could watch HBO on TV, the xfinity on demand showed I wasn't subscribed. He said the UDB (database) was out of sync with my account and he refreshed it, and then it worked. I was able to activate HBO GO like normal.

Official Employee

Update to this thread......

Thanks for the prompt reply, I tried again but that didn't help.

However, I managed to get it working by doing what rep ComcastFrancisc suggested in a posting I quote below.  Basically I went into my account and clicked on troubleshoot my device and followed the prompts saying a channel was not working.  Next thing I knew I was able to login.  Hope that helps you help others in the future!

ComcastFrancisc wrote:

@jpnassau Sometimes it is just that your account needs a refresh signal sent. There are a lot of different things that can cause this issue and are all not related. The Email issue is due to the creation of a new email when transferring and someone still using the old one that is not linked to the new account or simply using a non Comcast email. The box issue would not apply to you, since you have cable cards and when an authorization goes out it gets to that. That problem only happens when you don't have any video equipment. I sent a refresh to your account, so please let me know if the issue has continued. 

@LRohs Can you retry this once more? I sent a refresh to see if that might help. 

@shaw25 Can you retry this as well? I sent a refresh signal to your account. 

Just in case, the XFINITY My Account app allows you to send a signal like the one I sent through the troubleshooting section of it. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I'm an Xfinity customer in Charlottesville. When I get the activation code on my TIVO screen, I go to hbogo/activate, but Comcast/Xfinity does not appear in the drop-down list (neither under C or X).

New Poster

Hello.

I am having the same problem and have had no luck resolving the problem despite repeated calls to customer support.

Please help.
New Poster

I agree with you on SSO being broken. I tried your Add to plan method, worked like a charm!

Thanks.

New Poster

Please help me with this issue - I've recently moved and can no longer acccess hbogo on any of my devices (amazon firetv, appletv, iphone).  I never had a problem before the move and comcast support doesn't seem to know how to resolve

Service Expert

floodj wrote:

Please help me with this issue - I've recently moved and can no longer acccess hbogo on any of my devices (amazon firetv, appletv, iphone).  I never had a problem before the move and comcast support doesn't seem to know how to resolve

you moved. did your account email change or move with you? did your username change to the new location? does your new location X1 equipment play the linear HBO channels?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Having the same issues. as this whole forum. Any help is appreciated. 

Service Expert

cadenced wrote:

Having the same issues. as this whole forum. Any help is appreciated. 

what device are you accessing the HBOgo? do you get a login screen?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I think the "answer" provided is very misleading. The ACCURATE answer is that Comcast can only activate HBO GO on your comcast service (eg - cable supported internet) if you have purchased HBO through Comcast. Otherwise, if you have purchased HBO through Amazon, you can only view HBO via the Amazon devices or Amazon apps. Or if you have purchased HBO through Apple TV, you can only view it on the Apple TV HBO Go App.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this seems to be the direction the water is swirling as my money goes down the drain.

New Poster

I never get a login screen. I get sent to the screen to purchase HBO but I have HBO for one year as a part of my signup package. I'm trying on a 3rd gen Apple TV. It has worked in the past but I somehow have been logged out. 

Service Expert

cadenced wrote:

I never get a login screen. I get sent to the screen to purchase HBO but I have HBO for one year as a part of my signup package. I'm trying on a 3rd gen Apple TV. It has worked in the past but I somehow have been logged out. 

that may be a question you will have to ask the TV manufacturer about since it is their device that is not working with your subscription.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

No, sorry, it's the exact same issue I've seen 80% this forum topic mention. My Apple TV gives me an activation code, and when I go online with my PC (no matter the browser), I visit HBOgo.com/activate, and it forwards me to Xfinity's "buy an HBO package" page although I already have one. Even if I try to step through those steps, it eventually realizes I already have HBO but this doesn't fix the problem. I'm still unable to authenticate to HBOgo.com that I have an active HBO subscription that should then allow me to enter my authentication code and begin streaming. 

New Poster

Got my HBOgo working. Needed a call to Xfinity and about 30 mins for them to "reactivate" my subscription. Customer service went pretty well. 

New Poster

Comcast is a ripoff. Why pay twice for something you already pay for?!?!?
Service Expert

Tommy1331 wrote:
Comcast is a ripoff. Why pay twice for something you already pay for?!?!?

Hi Tommy, how may we assist with your problem?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

@comcastfransisc i am also having the same issues. i have had HBO for some time now and then it suddenly asked me to reactivate and sends me on the loop everyone on this thread is talking about. i have been on the phone for over an hour and call center employees don't even understand the problem let alone a solution. 

PLEASE help! 

Service Expert

anava4 wrote:

@comcastfransisc i am also having the same issues. i have had HBO for some time now and then it suddenly asked me to reactivate and sends me on the loop everyone on this thread is talking about. i have been on the phone for over an hour and call center employees don't even understand the problem let alone a solution. 

PLEASE help! 

have you tried the directions in this same thread at this post? http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/HBO-GO-Activation-Broken/m-p/2993832/highlight/true#M1049...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I'm having the same problem since yesterday, talked to one service rep and chatted with three different ones being transferred from one to the other. One of the reps did an account reset but nothing worked. HBO go is still broken on all devices (phones) and hbogo.com/activate is also broken trying to activate my smart TV.
Service Expert

Sgd2z wrote:
I'm having the same problem since yesterday, talked to one service rep and chatted with three different ones being transferred from one to the other. One of the reps did an account reset but nothing worked. HBO go is still broken on all devices (phones) and hbogo.com/activate is also broken trying to activate my smart TV.

try calling 800-Comcast and select billing. ask the representative to run a deep background account refresh (can take up to an hour to complete).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Hi, jan 2nd 2018 and this is STILL a problem!! How do we fix it?
Administrator
Administrator

Jacksonreidd wrote:
Hi, jan 2nd 2018 and this is STILL a problem!! How do we fix it?

Hi Jack, as previusly mentioned this can be caused by several things. It can be a signal problem, equipment issue, authorization problem or just that a signal is needed. In most cases it tends to be that last one, that a signal is just needed for your account. You can do this through the app, by calling in, chat or any of our social media channels. I went ahead and sent a signal for you, but as I stated previusly there is a chance that it could be other things. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

This seems like a sham -- why would each individual subscriber have to jump through so many hoops to get a service for which all are paying through the nose??

I am still unable to activate my TIVO for HBO GO - as Xfinity/Comcast is not listed as a provider.  

New Poster

Hello ComcastFrancisc,

I am also stuck in the endless loop that everyone in this forum is talking about, and I have spoken to a representatives on the phone for hours and they were not able to assist.

I have tried to activate it on my ps4, my samsung tablet, my S7 edge, as well as my computer to no avail.

Can you please help me since you seem to have the fix.
New Poster

I need help to fix this issue as well. No one else seems to know how to help with this issue. Thank you!

Administrator
Administrator

@jonplarkin I was able to see that a refresh was requested right after your message here. For future reference please be aware that in some cases it can take up to 1 hour for the refresh to go through. In some extreme cases this can actually be 24 hours. 

@timtation22 I am not showing you currently subscribed to HBO, I see that you used to be subscribed to it but a recent package change removed it. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Hi @comcastfrancisc

I am having the same problem. Have tried to activate HBOGo via www.hbogo.com/activate - able to click and log into Comcast but redirects to a page and does not show me logged in and it does not allow me to activate device.

Have tried with selecting Samsung SmartTV and apple TV on google chrome

Administrator
Administrator

@stw5020 I went ahead and sent a signal for you. If it doesn't work after that please make sure you are using your comcast.net email address that is attached to the account. 

For all others, please be aware that this can be done through any of the self help options. Your account will mainly need a system refresh signal sent and usually after doing this it will resolve it.

The following steps show how to do this for an X1 box, however when this is done through the system it will usually send the signal that you need to help solve the problem. Please ensure you try this. 

• Customers with an X1 TV Box
  • Visit the Perform a System Refresh page in My Account.
  • Select the TV Box you are troubleshooting, and press Continue.
  • Three common solutions will be presented. If they do not resolve your issue, click Continue to be taken to the System Refresh page.
  • Select Refresh Now. This process can take up to 10 minutes to complete.
  • The system refresh page.
  • https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/video-support-tool

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

Guys, HBOGO is no longer supported by Comcast. They dropped the agreement they had with HBO back in april 2017 which is why you can no longer see them listed as a provider on the registration page. 

Comcast wants you do download their app and watch hbo content through them and only them. This will probably hold true for other content providers in the near future where you used to be able to login to watch streaming media. 

Administrator
Administrator

@hall.j wrote:

Guys, HBOGO is no longer supported by Comcast. They dropped the agreement they had with HBO back in april 2017 which is why you can no longer see them listed as a provider on the registration page. 

Comcast wants you do download their app and watch hbo content through them and only them. This will probably hold true for other content providers in the near future where you used to be able to login to watch streaming media. 

@hall.j we still activate with HBOGo, I am not certain were you are getting this information. When you go to their page and don't see the Xfinity option, you have to click were it says select all providers and there you will see Comcast Xfinity. HBO Comcast Xfinity.JPG

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastFrancisc

I am still having issues. I perform the system refresh for the X1 box like you described and I am able to log into the hbogo app with my comcast.net email address sucessfully. However, after ~24h I become logged off the hbo app, and have to perform the system refresh all over again. I have repeated this about 3 times.

Do you know why I keep having to perform a system refresh/why I keep getting "kicked off"? 

Regular Visitor

Re: HBO GO is not working with xfinity account

Hello apurohit, Comcast services are no longer supported by HBOGO, to view any HBO content please download our "Xfinity Stream" app. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee. 
Regular Visitor

My hbo go works I just had to pick a different device. They didn't support some of the ones I use. Go figure. So hbogo does work, but you have to have the right device. 

So on that note, I stand happily corrected. Though you might want to have a talk with that other comcast employee about his post that it's no longer supported.

Administrator
Administrator

@stw5020 wrote:

@ComcastFrancisc

I am still having issues. I perform the system refresh for the X1 box like you described and I am able to log into the hbogo app with my comcast.net email address sucessfully. However, after ~24h I become logged off the hbo app, and have to perform the system refresh all over again. I have repeated this about 3 times.

Do you know why I keep having to perform a system refresh/why I keep getting "kicked off"? 

The timeout is normal with hbo/go however you should be able to log back in without problems. Are you getting a message that you are not authorized when trying to relog back in? If that is the case, the issue might be more related to a provisioning issue or a problem with the email account itself. Can you reply back with a few extra details of the error message you get? 
Another posibility is that you might have equipment on the account that has not been properly provisioned, sometimes the devices can revert back when that happens. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Administrator
Administrator

@hall.j wrote:

My hbo go works I just had to pick a different device. They didn't support some of the ones I use. Go figure. So hbogo does work, but you have to have the right device. 

So on that note, I stand happily corrected. Though you might want to have a talk with that other comcast employee about his post that it's no longer supported.

Thank you, I will make sure the feedback reaches them and I apologize for the confusion this caused. I will also see if there might be a way to get something posted that outlines the compatible devices, although it might take some time before we do. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

Spent many hours today fussing with this and communicated with four reps.  First of all, I have been using appletv and hbo go for 16 months and have activated it multiple times including about a month ago.  No changes to primary email address, etc.  I have an xfinity box, but it has never been installed.

But for some reason today, when I went to hbogo.com/activate and it sent me to xfinity to login, it wouldn't kick me back to hbogo.com to finish the activation process, ie., it would not say "being redirected to your destination".  I was using the same laptop, same firefox version, same everything as before, but no go.  Upgraded firefox twice, tried IE 11, but still no go.

While I was killing time with the fourth rep, I tried Safari on my Ipad to activate and within minutes I had my hbo go activated.  After hanging up, I read ZeroDay40831's post on 07-27-2017 and tried going to hbogo.com, signed in to xfinity, kicked back to hbogo.com and could watch hbo.  Then I went to to hbogo.com/activate and it worked as it should even though I didn't need to activate at the time.  Don't know if the Safari session had any effect with the subsequent laptop test, but if in the same situation and it isn't one of the problems stated by Comcast Francisco, try activating through a different device or use the ZeroDay40831 method.

There clearly is some type of handshaking problem between hbogo.com/activate and xfinity, which xfinity needs to fix.  But now that I got it working, I can not recreate the problem with either firefox or IE.  So this is a problem that xfinity may have a tough time replicating and a fix down the road may not happen.

Frequent Visitor

I cannot log in without any problems. I am not getting an error message to log back in because I have to "reactivate" the device each time. When I go to rectivate the device each time I have to refresh the system.

What do you mean by equipment that has not been properly provisioned?

Administrator
Administrator

@stw5020 wrote:

I cannot log in without any problems. I am not getting an error message to log back in because I have to "reactivate" the device each time. When I go to rectivate the device each time I have to refresh the system.

What do you mean by equipment that has not been properly provisioned?

Your issue might be more specific to the device you are using then, can you create a new topic detailing all of the problems you been having with it or if you have already created one please let me know what is the link. I want to make sure this issue is addressed for you and I am starting to think that it might take several extra steps that might not be fully related to the problems others are bringing up in this thread. 

As far as provisioning goes, if you equipment that has not been fully provisioned it can cause issues with that equipment losing said provisioning and as a result causing the re-authorization signal to be sent. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More