online now

discussions

HBO GO Activation Broken

ANSWERED
Highlighted
New Poster

HBO GO Activation Broken

Hi,

Earlier this week, I was trying to use HBO GO on my Apple TV, and saw that it needed to be reactivated. This happens every few months or so, and is usually a painless process, but this time, when going to hbogo.com/activate, and choosing XFINITY, and logging in, XFINITY simply redirects me to https://www.xfinity.com/hbogo (and still shows the sign-in link in the top right corner, acting as though I'm not logged in).

If I click the sign-in link, it logs me in without having to provide a user name and password, but of course, does not redirect me back to HBO's site to use my activation code.

Anyone else seeing this? It's quite frustrating, and has continued until today (I first noticed it one night this week, and then again today).

Accepted Solution

Re: HBO GO Activation Broken

Called Comcast for a third time got a friendly lady that was able to help she sent a activation signal to my account again now hbo go works and it shows up in my channel list on the xfinity app
View answer in context
Tags (2)
New Poster

A few more observations:

* This happens with both Safari and Firefox. The behavior is exactly the same with both.

* I do have HBO, of course, and have use HBO GO plenty in the past. Account in good standing, etc.

* It is equally broken on my phone (iPhone) and for viewing on the computer.

Service Expert

elbles wrote:

A few more observations:

* This happens with both Safari and Firefox. The behavior is exactly the same with both.

* I do have HBO, of course, and have use HBO GO plenty in the past. Account in good standing, etc.

* It is equally broken on my phone (iPhone) and for viewing on the computer.

on my iphone, launched the HBOgo app, browsed for Christmas favorites, Miracle on 34th St, then the app asked me to login, I did and the movie began playing. Using Chrome, I logged in on HBOgo.com and got autoauthenticated (on home wife/ethernet). full access. 

browser? cookies? not sure the problem you are experiencing.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I've tried different browsers, with all cookies cleared in both of them, repeatedly. No change whatsoever.

Regular Visitor

I also have this exact problem. I can't get it working on any devices. This is annoying. Support was useless. It will just randomly start working again too. 

New Poster

Sorry to hear that. At least it will start working for you again on occasion. It has been a miserable failure for me every time I've attempted it. I'm going to try chatting with support, but I'm not holding my breath.

Regular Visitor

At this point I cannot get it activated. If i'm lucky enough, it will work for 1 day then all devices get signed out again. Support just sends be to HBO Go who sends me to Comcast...

Visitor

Same problem here. I can not move forward on this new create a USER ID for HBOGO. The SAVE CHANGES button is broke. This is really annoying because its the 3rd time in two days Ive had to re-verify on my XBOX ONE and this time, this new USER ID page pops up and does not work in ANY BROWSER. Please fix the link to the SAVE CHANGES button so we can move past this step. 

New Poster

This is still an issue when trying to activate HBOGo on a Roku. Using multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer) as well as trying from a phone, the Comcast XFINITY login forwards to https://www.xfinity.com/hbo instead of going back to the HBOGo activation page to enter the code from the Roku.

Please help!

New Poster

Is there a fix for this???? I have the same problem and tier 2 customer tech support with comcast has not been able to be of any help.

Service Expert

HBOgo works on my iphones/ipads (all on ios10), and all my android phones/tablets. I use the HBOgo to chromecast to a TV without a set top box.

Older versions of android (probably Jellybean and before) may not work with earlier than Lollipop (5.0) well.  (google search shows 4.1 is minimum but I have some older android stuff that does not offer the HBOgo in the Play Store.

HBOgo came out with a new version I installed on 1/25/2017.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I have the same issue. Evertime I try to activate I am taken to https://www.xfinity.com/hbo after signing in.

I tried with mutiple browsers, customer spport could not help. HBO does work in the xfinty tv app.

New Poster

This issue is still occuring as of March 11, 2017. Anyone had any luck?

HBOGo on Amazon Fire TV tells me to visit hbgo.com/activate/ 

No problem choosing a device.

Click on Xfinity as TV Provider and redirected to xfinity.com/hbo

Any other TV provider stays on the HBOGo page and a window drops down with that TV Providers' login page.

There is also a very quick redirect before reaching xfinity.com/hbo:

https://profile.hbogo.com/apps/profile/rest/samlService/authnRequest/COMCAST?serviceCode=HBO&platfor...

New Poster

Suffering with same thing... it brings me to a page that asks me to buy HBO instead of redirecting to an HBOGo activating page for where I put in my activation code...

New Poster

Same thing happening to me on Android phone. Any fix yet? Sounds like it's a comcast bug.

New Poster

Exact same thing is happening for me. I've tried logging in on my phone, laptop and ipad. Did anyone figure out a fix?

Thanks a lot. 

Official Employee

Hi All, we have confirmed that this is an issue and I was able to duplicate your error on my end. I will forward this to our engineers for further support. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
New Poster

Is there any update to this? I'm facing the same issue and have been for months.

New Poster

Any update on this issue?
Service Expert

Rbailz wrote:
Any update on this issue?

none so far from Comcast. It appears that HBO is not letting us use the HBO app for free while having HBO from Comcast/Xfinity (perhaps a contract change is pending?)

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Same problem here. I can not watch HBO Go. Please fix!

Admin1

Hello All. This issue has been reviewed and is now not being found to be a consistent or known issue. We will need to address each case individually. Please respond back if you are still experiencing this same issue. Please include what device(s) you are using when accessing HBO Go. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Service Expert

ComcastZach wrote:

Hello All. This issue has been reviewed and is now not being found to be a consistent or known issue. We will need to address each case individually. Please respond back if you are still experiencing this same issue. Please include what device(s) you are using when accessing HBO Go. 

it is interesting that it is not wide spread as the HBO GO and HBO Now app are single version in USA. no matter what you try to view it gives yhou a signin screen that you might search for Comcast or Xfinity but won't find the Cable provider. I've included the image. You should be able to load the HBO Go app with or without a subscription to HBO and see the same menus. I've had both apps working for years (and previous versions) without issues until when it was pointed out in this forum thread- at that point I tried it and found that I had no access either.

hboGoFail-1.jpg

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

adding... thougth about trying hbo.com on my desktop (I previously watched on my laptop in rooms without a set top box) and found the site no longer recognizes comcast nor allows login. I was on this screen as it has no Comcast/Xfinity verify link. https://www.hbonow.com/register

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Admin1

Rustyben -- I tried this myself with no issue. Menu showed Comcast XFINITY as an eligible provider and allowed sign in with no issue. Any program that was viewed worked as intended. This shows the app and web portal do work as intended. Anyone having this sign in issue will need to have their account investigated and supported on an individual basis so we can identify why their sign in is unable to access content. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Service Expert

ComcastZach wrote:

Rustyben -- I tried this myself with no issue. Menu showed Comcast XFINITY as an eligible provider and allowed sign in with no issue. Any program that was viewed worked as intended. This shows the app and web portal do work as intended. Anyone having this sign in issue will need to have their account investigated and supported on an individual basis so we can identify why their sign in is unable to access content. 

i found out I was running the HBO Now app. Not sure how I installed it. Originally it was the HBO app. The HBO Go does have xfinity login (android on first screen of providers, iOS on 'other' screen under "Comcast". Issue is resolved for me now.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Admin1

Rustyben -- Thank you for the update. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Hi Zach,

I have been experiencing this same issue. When I go to activate HBOGo it redirects to the https://www.xfinity.com/hbo?lang=en page. I previously used HBOGo with no issues , but it required re-activation and now I am not able to re-activate.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Service Expert

kristintg wrote:

Hi Zach,

I have been experiencing this same issue. When I go to activate HBOGo it redirects to the https://www.xfinity.com/hbo?lang=en page. I previously used HBOGo with no issues , but it required re-activation and now I am not able to re-activate.

Please advise.

Thank you.

did you reactivate it on your home network? The HBO-Now app won't authenticate with Xfinity but the HBO-Go will validate for Xfinity. After logging in on home network, I turned off wifi and watched part of an episode on HBO-Go and it worked fine. maybe uninstall the app and reinstall?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

We are still experiencing.
TiVo Bolt
Samsung smart tv
Mac os Chrome and Samsung android phone
Both redirect to an upsell page for HBO on Comcast instead of activation page.
Service Expert

Tbilisi wrote:
We are still experiencing.
TiVo Bolt
Samsung smart tv
Mac os Chrome and Samsung android phone
Both redirect to an upsell page for HBO on Comcast instead of activation page.

try the samsung phone while not connected to a TV (just the screen on the phone). does that work? if not what android system are you running and is it rooted or 'imaged'?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Same problem for me.  can't activate.  Lovely.  This has been a problem for some time now.

Service Expert

CaptainPeeJ wrote:

Same problem for me.  can't activate.  Lovely.  This has been a problem for some time now.

what is your specific problem with HBO Go app?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Also experiencing this problem. Problem persists in desktop Chrome, Edge, and incognito mode for both. Problem also persists in Chrome on Android 6, as well as HBO Go Android app.

If I had to guess possible causes, it seems that there's a new Comcast account management interface that will appear for a few seconds before the old interface shows up. Possibly some oauth mishandling during that transition.

If I had to guess possible causes specific to my account, I've had an old address linked to my account since I moved about a year ago. It's possible that the oauth is picking up on my old address and seeing no service, thus redirecting me to the upsell page. However, when I click the "Add Now" button, the page checks my account and finds HBO service included, telling me that I should be good to go. I don't know how widespread users with defunct addresses are, but given that other users are experiencing this problem, I doubt this cause.

Frequent Visitor

I am having this problem on Apple TV. I go to hbogo.com/activate. Select xfinity. It takes me to a Comcast sign-in page. I sign in and it takes me to a page trying to sell me HBO (which I already have, works on my TV and verified after 30 minutes of phone "support"). It should take me back to HBO to enter the code from my Apple TV but it never does, just the upsell page. Please help

Frequent Visitor

Comcast Zach,

Can you give us some magic words to say to tech support or PM us or something. It looks like you have a solution but the people manning the phones have no idea what the issue (much less the solution) is.

Thanx

New Poster

I am still experiencing this issue. The same thing happens for me on almost any browser (Safari on iOS, Chrome on iOS, Safari on macOS, and Chrome on macOS).

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Regular Visitor

I am having the same issues -  unable to activate HBO Go on any device.  I called customer service and I was escalated/transferred to a tech who advised it has been a known problem since June 1st.  Apparently it started out on Apple TV but is now an issue with pretty much all devices.  He said there is no current ETA on a fix but they are working on it.  

Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problem when i try to sign in for apple tv on comcast I go to hbogo.com/activate i then type in my comcast user name and password. The window will glitch back to sign up for hbo I have signed in on my iphone ipad firefox and edge trying to get it to work 

New Poster

I have the same issue with all of my devices now.  I can't use my phone or apple tv.

Regular Visitor

*Update* I  spoke with another rep, I think they were from the advanced application department or something like that, and he advised that they are still working on it with no ETA.  

New Poster

I am having the same issue, can you help?

Email Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

any word on if this is fixed yet I really want to watch hbo go I can't login still and comcast phone support has no clue what to do . when i go to the hbogo.com/activate click my device click comcast It bering up a webpage to log into.i click login and it pops up my.xfinity.com in place of logging into hbogo

Service Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

It would be nice if some one could comment from Comcast
Frequent Visitor

Called Comcast for a third time got a friendly lady that was able to help she sent a activation signal to my account again now hbo go works and it shows up in my channel list on the xfinity app
New Poster

I am stuck in the same loop of opening the HBO GO app, logging in, selecting Comcast-Xfinity, being directed to Comcast's page, and never getting access to HBO.

Apparently I have not reached the support person who can fix this via phone or chat.  

Please help.

IMG_0059.JPG
Service Expert

Srbspacey wrote:

I am stuck in the same loop of opening the HBO GO app, logging in, selecting Comcast-Xfinity, being directed to Comcast's page, and never getting access to HBO.

Apparently I have not reached the support person who can fix this via phone or chat.  

Please help.

change your default browser to safari then retry.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

This problem is still not solve even though it says "Solved". The solution provided does not work. I have called Customer Support and they also said they sent an activation signal but it does not help the fact that I cannot activate of my devices. To reiterate the issue:

When trying to activate ANY device, whether be it an Xbox, Playstation 4, Apple TV, Fire TV, etc, when asked to "Select your HBO® TV Provider", every time I select Comcast xfinity, it redirects me to this page, https://www.xfinity.com/hbo?lang=en, and thus does not allow me to authenticate anything.

This has happened with all of the following methods using these devices:

• my phone using chrome (also trying incognito mode on my phone)
    • also tried outside of my wifi network and used LTE in case it was the internet
  • my computer using chrome (also trying incognito mode)
  • my computer using internet explorer (also trying private browsing)
  • my iPad using chrome (and trying incogito mode)
  • my iPad using safari (also with private browsing)
  • my work computer at WORK away from my home (trying chrome, I.E., and private browsing modes)

All of those options do not work. I still get the same exact redirect to here https://www.xfinity.com/hbo?lang=en.

I contacted HBO GO support and they sent me the following email:

I have receieved absolutely no valid solution to this issue and it appears that people on this forum are also experiencing the same problem.