Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Full screen on Xfinity TV app

New Poster

Full screen on Xfinity TV app

How do you expand the video to full screen? Tried watching a live tv channel on my iPhone se and the inset screen size was only about 1/2 as big as my phone screen. Needless to say it was difficult to see because it was so small . My friend has direct tv and he can watch live tv on a full screen. I didn't see an option to expand the screen. Can it be done?
Official Employee

Re: Full screen on Xfinity TV app

mrchacon wrote:
How do you expand the video to full screen? Tried watching a live tv channel on my iPhone se and the inset screen size was only about 1/2 as big as my phone screen. Needless to say it was difficult to see because it was so small . My friend has direct tv and he can watch live tv on a full screen. I didn't see an option to expand the screen. Can it be done?

Sorry you're having trouble. Select the Filter option for "High Definition" which can be found near the top of the Live TV listings. That should fill your screen edge to edge with video (possibly some letterboxing on the top/bottom depending on the aspect ratio).

Also, on mobile devices, you'll want to turn the phone or tablet into landscape mode (sideways) and ensure that your device settings don't prevent this reorientation (instructions vary by operating system).

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Service Expert

ComcastDan wrote:

mrchacon wrote:

Sorry you're having trouble. Select the Filter option for "High Definition" which can be found near the top of the Live TV listings. That should fill your screen edge to edge with video (possibly some letterboxing on the top/bottom depending on the aspect ratio).

Also, on mobile devices, you'll want to turn the phone or tablet into landscape mode (sideways) and ensure that your device settings don't prevent this reorientation (instructions vary by operating system).

The app and the tv.xfinity.com web site are not handling AFD macro stream instructions that are honored by the set top boxes. the effect of the AFD instructions is to show SD in 14:9 or 16:9 (stretched) format without compromising station id/icon, EAS messages, chyrons, etc. The 'look' is as if the SD is actually in (near) 16:9 format even though it is SD. 

the app displays the safe area as a postage stamp (curtains all around) instead of filling the viewing area. Any hope to soon have the AFD directions honored by the app and web page?

example: MeTV, Antenna TV. It would be great if comcast could speed up the AFD pass through command stream for most of the SD channels they take off of satellite too so we would see the content in (near) full screen as the provider has arranged.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Rustyben wrote:

ComcastDan wrote:

mrchacon wrote:

The app and the tv.xfinity.com web site are not handling AFD macro stream instructions that are honored by the set top boxes. the effect of the AFD instructions is to show SD in 14:9 or 16:9 (stretched) format without compromising station id/icon, EAS messages, chyrons, etc. The 'look' is as if the SD is actually in (near) 16:9 format even though it is SD. 

the app displays the safe area as a postage stamp (curtains all around) instead of filling the viewing area. Any hope to soon have the AFD directions honored by the app and web page?

example: MeTV, Antenna TV. It would be great if comcast could speed up the AFD pass through command stream for most of the SD channels they take off of satellite too so we would see the content in (near) full screen as the provider has arranged.

You continue to impress me, Rustyben. I'll pass this to our video player team and get it resolved ASAP. Thanks for being such a strong and helpful contributor on the forums. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Thanks. I applied the HD filter and I get full screen now. I would have never figured that one out without help.
Official Employee

mrchacon wrote:
Thanks. I applied the HD filter and I get full screen now. I would have never figured that one out without help.

Glad you got it working and happy to help. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Except that when the HD filter is applied the only chanels I can see are the HD and not all channels are in HD! Is there a way around this or am I doing something wrong?

Service Expert

Ravynrose wrote:

Except that when the HD filter is applied the only chanels I can see are the HD and not all channels are in HD! Is there a way around this or am I doing something wrong?

no, that is how the feature works. It literally means "show me only HD channels"

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I have the same problem! Did you ever get an answer as to how to get the app on the full screen of our phone like we could with the old app? Please let me know if you got an answer what that is. Thanks!
Official Employee

jordeb wrote:
I have the same problem! Did you ever get an answer as to how to get the app on the full screen of our phone like we could with the old app? Please let me know if you got an answer what that is. Thanks!

Yes, please see my previous posts above and let me know if you continue to have any trouble with this.

Thanks!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

None of the suggestions I've seen on a couple of threads here have fixed this for me, I still can't see full screen when using the TV app on my Android. I've tried setting the filter to only HD and that didn't help. My rotation is not locked as it works fine using other video apps like Netflix, Amazon, even the old TVGO app still works fine in full screen and with rotation. Wish I could keep using the TVGO app but more and more shows seem to not be getting new episodes on demand anymore on that app. Any other ideas how to get the TV app to display in full screen?

Problem Solver

maifun wrote:

None of the suggestions I've seen on a couple of threads here have fixed this for me, I still can't see full screen when using the TV app on my Android. I've tried setting the filter to only HD and that didn't help. My rotation is not locked as it works fine using other video apps like Netflix, Amazon, even the old TVGO app still works fine in full screen and with rotation. Wish I could keep using the TVGO app but more and more shows seem to not be getting new episodes on demand anymore on that app. Any other ideas how to get the TV app to display in full screen?

What type of Android device are you having an issue with? What version of Android is on the device? Maybe you can provide a screenshot or a picture of what you are seeing. That might be helpful.

Regular Visitor

Samsung Galaxy S5, Android version 6.0.1.  It won't allow me to take a screenshot while I'm on one of the 'watch' screens, it says it's prevented by security policy. The viewer fills about the top 1/3 of the screen (in portrait) with the description, episode #, details,etc. filling the bottom 2/3 of the screen. Tapping on the viewer gives options for pause, CC/SAP, channel up/down, rewind? and the 3x3 grid which is I guess channel numbers? Nothing like arrows to change screen size, and when I flip the phone to landscape nothing happens.

Regular Visitor

You can disregard my question Smiley Happy it is working now. I changed the phone's 'screen rotation' setting to the opposite of what it already was and now the orientation to full screen is working in the TV app when I flip the phone sideways. Weird that however it was set before (I think it was off and now it's on), the screen rotation would work for every other video app I use except this one; anyway, now I know that I might just have to toggle that setting off or on depending on which video app I'm using. Thanks!

New Poster

None of that works.  This is very frustrating!  Old app works perfectly, this new app isnt very good!

New Poster

I agree, this new app is horrible. It is slow, not as friendly to navigate, and won't rotate to full screen. What was wrong with the old app? Why do you feel you have to change something just for the sake of changing? Old app took have the space as well. So thanks for bogging down my phone for a sub-par system. This is approaching the healthcare.gov website in bad performance.
New Poster

I just installed the app today and it has the same problem....all of the SD stations have large black borders around them. My cable box doesn't do this, so why does the APP do this??

I have an Android smart tv box. This does NOT have a setting for landscape/portrait because the unit is NOT a mobile device so it does NOT move.

Also, the HD filter does NOT fill the screen for standard definition stations.

Any resolution to this yet??

I'd like to use the Smart TV box to get Live TV in our kitchen tv instead of renting another cable box.

This app is terrible so far with SD stations... and not to mention SLOWWWWWWW with buffering...  even with my 150mps WIRED internet. Navigation is terrible too. Not as fluent as a cable box.

New Poster

Thank you
Service Expert
Moved:

Your post has been removed to a secure, hidden area for violating Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with the Guidelines you may review them here.

New Poster

I used to be able to just turn my iphone and get the full screen and now nothing I do is working to get it on full screen.

Service Expert

blueeyes629 wrote:

I used to be able to just turn my iphone and get the full screen and now nothing I do is working to get it on full screen.

try the youtube app. does rotating a video change it from narrow to wide?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I was trying to view movies on laptop from xfinity app and I face the same issue. No option to view movie in full screen
Service Expert

Sumee wrote:
I was trying to view movies on laptop from xfinity app and I face the same issue. No option to view movie in full screen

did you press the diagonal arrow full screen option button in lower right of the screen?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I was having the same problem on a fully-updated Google Pixel XL.  The Xfinity Stream app would not switch to full screen when the device is rotated to landscape.

It seems that the switch to "Auto-rotate screen" in the Android settings had been toggled to "Off". This is a bit bizarre, as the Auto-rotate function is required for a few apps that I use, it it most definitely was "On" before I installed the Xfinity Stream app.  Please report this to your programmers.  They are apparently trying to make sure that it is "On" and are inadvertently turning it off (or toggling it, with the result that it ends up "Off").

(NOTE: cannot make a screen shot because the Xfinity app does not allow it.  "Taking screen shots is not allowed by the app...")

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats