Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Fees for Roku Xfinity App Streaming

New Poster

Fees for Roku Xfinity App Streaming

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I'm trying to consider the economics of replacing an HD box and a couple DVA boxes with Roku devices, and want to make an educated decision about it.  Is there any information available as to what fees will be charged, once the app goes out of Beta?  If I'm not going to save any money, I may just stick with the rentals (even though it hurts to do so).  Thanks!

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Fees for Roku Xfinity App Streaming

bwolven wrote:

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I'm trying to consider the economics of replacing an HD box and a couple DVA boxes with Roku devices, and want to make an educated decision about it.  Is there any information available as to what fees will be charged, once the app goes out of Beta?  If I'm not going to save any money, I may just stick with the rentals (even though it hurts to do so).  Thanks!

No word yet. Not even sure if app will graduate out of beta.

New Poster

Never understood the reasoning behind any fees for using the app other than greed. You can stream to computers, phones, tablets, etc using an app with no fees. It is not like you are "renting" equipment. I wouldn't invest a lot in roku devices until it is out of beta. Currently I use old computers and wireless keyboards with the tv as the display and theres no planned fees ....until someone at xfinity reads this I am sure. Xfinity needs to wake up and find ways to make their service more affordable and not nickle and dime their customers to death with fees. The more they do this kind of stuff the more their customers will find alternatives and drop the service. Just look at the competition, they are now starting a la carte where you only pay for the channels you want not for 500 and watch 6 or 7. Hope they think long and hard about adding more fees.
Service Expert

User6565 wrote:
Never understood the reasoning behind any fees for using the app other than greed. You can stream to computers, phones, tablets, etc using an app with no fees. It is not like you are "renting" equipment. I wouldn't invest a lot in roku devices until it is out of beta. Currently I use old computers and wireless keyboards with the tv as the display and theres no planned fees ....until someone at xfinity reads this I am sure. Xfinity needs to wake up and find ways to make their service more affordable and not nickle and dime their customers to death with fees. The more they do this kind of stuff the more their customers will find alternatives and drop the service. Just look at the competition, they are now starting a la carte where you only pay for the channels you want not for 500 and watch 6 or 7. Hope they think long and hard about adding more fees.

MSO contracts with providers pay the providers based on outlets for customers connected to TV (equivalent screen). Since the Roku is not a PC (grandfathered) then Comcast will be paying the providers per your Roku TV via an outlet charge. The monthly rate for Roku will be less since Comcast does not provide the equipment. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Service Expert
Moved:

Service Expert
Moved:

Special Events