Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Even on my home wifi

New Poster

Even on my home wifi

Why does the app sometimes let me watch all the channels and other times only a few. This is even at home on my wifi connection?
Official Employee

Re: Even on my home wifi

Jworley1 wrote:
Why does the app sometimes let me watch all the channels and other times only a few. This is even at home on my wifi connection?

The rights to stream content in the home (called "Title 6" rights) are entirely separate from the TV Everywhere (anywhere in the USA) rights. Comcast secures those rights from the programmers but some content isn't available as TVE (labeled as "TV Go") and some isn't available as Title 6 (in-home). This is also the reason that some content has an "in-home only" badge (where we can't get the TVE rights). We'd very much like a one-to-one match if it were possible.

The main question is why does that app sometimes not recognize that you are on your home XFINITY network.  Here are a few possibilities:

1. Some customers own their own cable modems and they haven't been properly registered to an "outlet" in the house so our systems don't recognize the MAC address as being "in-home".  Can be fixed by calling 800-XFINITY and speaking with Internet tech support.
  2. Some customer have a VPN (Virtual Private Network) running on their device which obfuscates the IP address.
  3. Modems renew their "IP Lease" from time-to-time and there can be a delay in this new address getting updated in all our systems..
  4. The "DAH" (Device At Home) service, an internal Comcast system, could fail to return a timely response during peak periods or during outages.  This is very rare these days - was worse 1-2 years ago. 

One tip to help overcome this if it happens... the app will check your "in-home" status each time there is a network change.  So, if it thinks you're not in-home but you are, you can flip off/on wifi which will cause it to check again - quicker than quitting the app or restarting your device.

Hope this helps!

-ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

Comcast TV/internet customer here using a Comcast supplied modem/router. I have repeatedly had the Xfinity TV app for Android insist i'm out of the home on occasion, when i'm at home, and it's getting old, and your explaination is of no help. Right now i'm watching CNN via TVGO because the app won't let me watch live TV in my own home on my Comcast supplied modem/router. This has been going on intermitently ever since i signed up nearly a year ago. How about fix it once and for all rather then make excuses for the random bouts of poor service?

BTW my experience is the problem is always NUMBER 4 on the list. I'm using a comcast modem, not using a VPN and my IP is unchanged.

"Hope this helps!"

No, it doesn't. The only thing that will help is Comcast finally fixing the problem on the head end.

Service Expert

Imreallymad wrote:

Comcast TV/internet customer here using a Comcast supplied modem/router. I have repeatedly had the Xfinity TV app for Android insist i'm out of the home on occasion, when i'm at home, and it's getting old, and your explaination is of no help. Right now i'm watching CNN via TVGO because the app won't let me watch live TV in my own home on my Comcast supplied modem/router. This has been going on intermitently ever since i signed up nearly a year ago. How about fix it once and for all rather then make excuses for the random bouts of poor service?

BTW my experience is the problem is always NUMBER 4 on the list. I'm using a comcast modem, not using a VPN and my IP is unchanged.

"Hope this helps!"

No, it doesn't. The only thing that will help is Comcast finally fixing the problem on the head end.

on your device what is the wifi SSID name you are connected? (can't be xfinitywifi and should match name on your wireless router label). Also, using the my Account app, go to the internet tab and check to be sure your modem's serial number is listed in the internet equipment field.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation