Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Download content resolution

Frequent Visitor

Download content resolution

Resolution is great when watching streaming on demand or dvr shows. I've noticed when I download to my device resolution seems to be lower. Is there away to maintain 1080 res with downloaded content?
Expert

Re: Download content resolution

JAL513 wrote:
Resolution is great when watching streaming on demand or dvr shows. I've noticed when I download to my device resolution seems to be lower. Is there away to maintain 1080 res with downloaded content?

are you downloading on cell data or home data? 

Frequent Visitor

Downloaded on home data via wifi at 75mbps download speed.
Expert

JAL513 wrote:
Downloaded on home data via wifi at 75mbps download speed.

did you check to see if what you are recording says it is 'HD'?

Frequent Visitor

Of course. Definitely hd content that I recorded and then downloaded to my device. The downloaded content also says hd.
I've ever tried changing the setting where the app determines the best quality, in case it thought it "best" to reduce quality. Still the same result.
Direct from on demand or my dvr has better resolution than if I download the same content.
Bronze Problem Solver

JAL513 wrote:
Of course. Definitely hd content that I recorded and then downloaded to my device. The downloaded content also says hd.
I've ever tried changing the setting where the app determines the best quality, in case it thought it "best" to reduce quality. Still the same result.
Direct from on demand or my dvr has better resolution than if I download the same content.

What device are you downloading to (make/model)?

Expert

JAL513 wrote:

I download and watch on an iphone 7+ (previously iphone 6+) and an iPad mini2 and they both look great with downloads. my android phone and android tablet are cheaper ones and the dispalys are definitely not of the same quality. Wish I could give some advice to help.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for trying all.
I've been downloading to an iPhone 6. It's capable of good picture, but only when I have stable internet and can stream. My commute has dead spots so I download...
My choice is to watch with buffering issues in 1080p or no buffering issues with 720i (if I had to guess)
Bronze Problem Solver

JAL513 wrote:
Thanks for trying all.
I've been downloading to an iPhone 6. It's capable of good picture, but only when I have stable internet and can stream. My commute has dead spots so I download...
My choice is to watch with buffering issues in 1080p or no buffering issues with 720i (if I had to guess)

If I remember what I read on the X1 forum a while back, comcast delivers the content at 720.

Expert

adding.. no 'streaming' is in interlace. 720p exists where 720i does not (in USA). The streaming might be less than you would want if the stream rate is limited due to network. Some unlimited cell networks are truly suffering since they started offering unlimited). But if you download and watch you should get full maximum quality since you are receiving the entire file before playback.

Frequent Visitor

I figured the same thing. If I download then I'll get best quality. I have tested over and over with different content and sources (on demand vs dvr), it always looks better streaming. Not sure what the quality is in terms of progressive or interlaced 720 or 1080, just that is definitively better when I don't download which makes no sense..
Comcast? You reading this?
Expert

adding... streaming is always progressive format (mpeg). original has to be converted to progressive to stream.