Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Dear Gifted Comcast Executives

New Poster

Dear Gifted Comcast Executives

Dear Rock Wall (aka - Comcast executives who decided I can't use my account if I'm not at my house), 

I had to run into the office to do some late work. I opened xfinity in my browser to catch the end of THE LAST GAME OF THE WORLD SERIES. I was presented with a cornucopia of stupid options that didn't include THE LAST GAME OF THE WORLD SERIES. This happens all the time when I come into work on a weekend and want to watch my favorite football team (go Utes!). 

Retro certainly has some appeal. For example, Brylcreem, Postum, Commodore 64s, and Grass Oil all had their heyday. Maybe you'll pull off a Vaseline and be on millions of shelves, but with an expiration date of ten years ago. It'll start with people like me buying other services that are relevant. Then, as our prison terms with Comcast expire, we won't renew. The Gifted Comcast Execs will seem surprised and try a big marketing push to preserve market share. They'll give away cheap service (priced like the new guys) for a year, then jack prices up again. That's when people will leave for good. 

Harvard Smart Guy, Theodore Levitt called it Marketing Myopia. Here's a great summary of his article. It might feel like you're looking in a mirror. https://hbr.org/2004/07/marketing-myopia.

I know. I know. You're way smarter than me. You're captains of the Titanic. Hmmm. Maybe you should start investing in YouTube Live or Hulu or other services that seem to understand what customers want. They don't want to be teathered to their houses. My 72 year old dad loves your service. He also isn't very mobile these days. 

THE FINAL GAME OF THE WORLD SERIES and I'm typing this dumb complaint to a Rock Wall that won't listen instead of being able to watch it using the service I pay $130 a month to have. Wow. 

Google Fiber is already doing experiments in the cities around me. Hallelujah. Soon I'll have some choice and Comcast will not only lack the leverage you currently have with your pseudo-monopoly on the Salt Lake market, but you'll also have people dancing in the streets when they can leave you. Like a person released from being locked in someone's basement for decades. 

I'll feel bad for the people who lose their jobs as Comcast dies. You have a big office near my home. But I'm sure they'll land at the new companies that take your place. 

Maybe I'll go home and catch the ninth inning. 

Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation