New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Chromecast and TV Go

Posted by
New Poster

Message 1 of 18

How do I use Chromecast to view TV Go video on my TV?

Up until very recently (just a few weeks ago), I could watch Comcast video on my Android device using the Chrome browser and the Xfinity web site. I could then use Chromecast to view it on my TV.  Now, however, the video will no longer play in Chrome - it tells you to use the App.  The video plays in the App, but I cannot find a way to cast it to the TV.

Help!  Am I not finding something, or did Comcast just take this ability away from us??

17 REPLIES
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 2 of 18

Anon5051 wrote:

How do I use Chromecast to view TV Go video on my TV?

Up until very recently (just a few weeks ago), I could watch Comcast video on my Android device using the Chrome browser and the Xfinity web site. I could then use Chromecast to view it on my TV.  Now, however, the video will no longer play in Chrome - it tells you to use the App.  The video plays in the App, but I cannot find a way to cast it to the TV.

Help!  Am I not finding something, or did Comcast just take this ability away from us??

using both my lap/desktop windows 10 and chrome browser ran xtv.comcast.net and it cast just fine. are the two devices on the same network? you would need a router for the computer and chromecast to connect to or would have to put your chromecast onto your device via tether (for example using iphone personal hotspot function.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 3 of 18

I can still cast it using Chrome in Win 7 & Win 10.  It is Android that I am having an issue with.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 4 of 18

Comcast stopped letting you cast from the Xfinity TV app awhile back.  Guess you found a loophole by using the Xfinity TV portal through the browser on Android, but I guess they finally plugged that hole as well. It's so stupid why you can't cast from Android or Apple phones/tablets, but you really can't argue with stupid.  Just doesn't work.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 5 of 18

Anon5051 wrote:

I can still cast it using Chrome in Win 7 & Win 10.  It is Android that I am having an issue with.

when you load up web page on the android device to xtv.comcast.net does it send you to a page to load/run the app or a login page?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 6 of 18

Actually using Chrome on my PC, it will let me cast. But from the App itself it won't. Haven't tried the chrome browser on Android yet. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 7 of 18

yatman60 wrote:

Actually using Chrome on my PC, it will let me cast. But from the App itself it won't. Haven't tried the chrome browser on Android yet. 

tablets etc won't cast from the xfinity app. The desk/laptops are allowed as the HDMI port is another designed 'screen' for the device.

you can currently use a Roku device for free while in beta.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster
Message 8 of 18
Yes it take you there
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 9 of 18
Comcast is absolutely ridiculous and I can't wait to switch from them. It makes no sense why you can't stream from your phone on your home network. What a bunch of idiots.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 10 of 18

gruen33 wrote:
Comcast is absolutely ridiculous and I can't wait to switch from them. It makes no sense why you can't stream from your phone on your home network. What a bunch of idiots.

if you mean stream 'to' a TV from your device then try to understand that Comcast receives revenue from you for connections ("outlets") to set top boxes and has to pay the providers of the entertainment per set top box connection. No free lunch except for the current Roku beta trail (free connections to your in-home TV via Roku device during beta test).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 11 of 18

Rustyben wrote:

gruen33 wrote:

if you mean stream 'to' a TV from your device then try to understand that Comcast receives revenue from you for connections ("outlets") to set top boxes and has to pay the providers of the entertainment per set top box connection. No free lunch except for the current Roku beta trail (free connections to your in-home TV via Roku device during beta test).

That doesn't make sense since you could use the web site and a PC/laptop connected to a tv to stream

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 12 of 18

mvenanzi wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

gruen33 wrote:

That doesn't make sense since you could use the web site and a PC/laptop connected to a tv to stream

It is currently an exception and is limited to 1080 max and no sound as the 'premise' is that the tV is 'just' a monitor. It is entirely possible that Comcast or other MSO will get a court ruling that they do not 'have' to allow a free connection via a desk/laptop. the normal term is 'grandfathered' in but since the technology continues to be in use not sure how that term can even still apply.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 13 of 18

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

gruen33 wrote:

It is currently an exception and is limited to 1080 max and no sound as the 'premise' is that the tV is 'just' a monitor. It is entirely possible that Comcast or other MSO will get a court ruling that they do not 'have' to allow a free connection via a desk/laptop. the normal term is 'grandfathered' in but since the technology continues to be in use not sure how that term can even still apply.

I don't know where you get this from. When I connect one of my laptops to my tv and use the web site I can watch anything from the web site WITH SOUND and whatever res I have my computer set for (as long as my tv supports it).

Posted by
New Poster

Message 14 of 18

Up until 2 days ago I was able to cast from my laptop to my TV. And from what I understand there is no fix for the Flash Player error. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 15 of 18

Catzback wrote:

Up until 2 days ago I was able to cast from my laptop to my TV. And from what I understand there is no fix for the Flash Player error. 

I updated too and the play would not start with an error about flash. I googled it and found out that Chrome turned off flash automatically and it gave directions how to turn it back on. It then worked fine for me again.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 16 of 18

Catzback wrote:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/Xfinity-Stream-Live-TV-On-Demand-no-longer-works...

Posted by
New Poster

Message 17 of 18
Well I was just sold Xfinity Stream today and was specifically told I could stream from my phone to the Chromecast.

Now I see I can't and wish I hadn't 'upgraded'. Total bait and switch. I should've known dealing with Comcast.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 18 of 18

PSOUT wrote:
Well I was just sold Xfinity Stream today and was specifically told I could stream from my phone to the Chromecast.

Now I see I can't and wish I hadn't 'upgraded'. Total bait and switch. I should've known dealing with Comcast.

you can use chromecast from a PC (grandfathered use of TV as computer monitor). is that what you are asking about?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon