online now

discussions

Charges for use

New Poster

Charges for use

Is there a fee for Xfinity stream tv ?

Problem Solver

Re: Charges for use

No, it's available as part of your Xfinity subscription. The channels and OnDemand content available in the app are all "free to me," meaning that you're only presented with content you subscribe to. And of course, if you have Cloud DVR service, your cloud recordings will show up in the app as well.

LHC

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

barbaralovett2 wrote: Is there a fee for Xfinity stream tv ?

If you stream using Comcast's Internet service in an area where the 1TB data cap is in force, be aware that streaming counts against that cap. See https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/data-usage-plan/, especially "Is my household included in the Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan?" and "What counts towards my data plan?".

Service Expert

adding... streaming of linear channels (numbered) and on-demand and recordings do not count toward your streaming cap (zero-rated).

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: adding... streaming of linear channels (numbered) and on-demand and recordings do not count toward your streaming cap (zero-rated).

Cite?

Note that https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan/ says:

... all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through www.xfinity.com/stream and XFINITY apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage. ...
Service Expert

BruceW wrote:

Rustyben wrote: adding... streaming of linear channels (numbered) and on-demand and recordings do not count toward your streaming cap (zero-rated).

Cite?

Note that https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan/ says:

... all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through www.xfinity.com/stream and XFINITY apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage. ...

it is not my job to cite but to relay information. that said the 2nd post on the bobile stream app has many FAQs and abo9ut the 5th 'point' down says..

Does the XFINITY Stream app use data from my XFINITY Internet monthly data usage allowance?

When you are in your home connected to your in-home XFINITY network, content delivered to the XFINITY Stream app is an in-home cable service delivered over Comcast's managed cable network, not over the Internet, and will not be counted towards your XFINITY Internet monthly data usage. If you watch any TV Everywhere programming through the XFINITY Stream app, out of your home, that programming is delivered over an Internet or mobile connection and would count towards any usage thresholds that might apply.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

BruceW wrote:

Cite?

it is not my job to cite but to relay information. that said the 2nd post on the bobile stream app has many FAQs and abo9ut the 5th 'point' down says..

Does the XFINITY Stream app use data from my XFINITY Internet monthly data usage allowance?

When you are in your home connected to your in-home XFINITY network, content delivered to the XFINITY Stream app is an in-home cable service delivered over Comcast's managed cable network, not over the Internet, and will not be counted towards your XFINITY Internet monthly data usage. If you watch any TV Everywhere programming through the XFINITY Stream app, out of your home, that programming is delivered over an Internet or mobile connection and would count towards any usage thresholds that might apply.

First: the two comcast statements contradict each other because one doesn't differentiate between in home and away from home usage:

"For example, all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through www.xfinity.com/stream and XFINITY apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage."

"When you are in your home connected to your in-home XFINITY network, content delivered to the XFINITY Stream app is an in-home cable service delivered over Comcast's managed cable network, not over the Internet, and will not be counted towards your XFINITY Internet monthly data usage. If you watch any TV Everywhere programming through the XFINITY Stream app, out of your home, that programming is delivered over an Internet or mobile connection and would count towards any usage thresholds that might apply."

Second: Rustben's post "adding... streaming of linear channels (numbered) and on-demand and recordings do not count toward your streaming cap (zero-rated)" did not state that only in home will not count.

Service Expert

...adding 

the use of outside connections like cell phone data, hotel/hospital data, etc to stream what can be streamed remotely (the tvgo channels and on demand and recordings) doesn't count at all. I intermittently travel for weeks at a time and use lots of xfinitywifi connections as well has hotel connections as well as cell data (T-"carrier unlimited) and Comcast does not charge my home internet for the data to my account at all. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

...adding 

the use of outside connections like cell phone data, hotel/hospital data, etc to stream what can be streamed remotely (the tvgo channels and on demand and recordings) doesn't count at all. I intermittently travel for weeks at a time and use lots of xfinitywifi connections as well has hotel connections as well as cell data (T-"carrier unlimited) and Comcast does not charge my home internet for the data to my account at all. 

Of course, in the case of cellphone, you're using your cell phone data and have to pay for it (one way or another) or if hotel/hospital you're using their internet data. That is what is meant by the last sentence in the FAQ:

"When you are in your home connected to your in-home XFINITY network, content delivered to the XFINITY Stream app is an in-home cable service delivered over Comcast's managed cable network, not over the Internet, and will not be counted towards your XFINITY Internet monthly data usage. If you watch any TV Everywhere programming through the XFINITY Stream app, out of your home, that programming is delivered over an Internet or mobile connection and would count towards any usage thresholds that might apply."

Service Expert

mvenanzi wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

...adding 

Of course, in the case of cellphone, you're using your cell phone data and have to pay for it (one way or another) or if hotel/hospital you're using their internet data. That is what is meant by the last sentence in the FAQ:

that last part in red I was really worried about but found out by experience and a question to level 2 internet that Comcast doesn't charge for any use other than 'internet' external to comcast and delivered over my own wifi/wired connection and the set top boxes use of 'internet-external' via apps using their own DOCSIS modems.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

Rustyben wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

...adding 

that last part in red I was really worried about but found out by experience and a question to level 2 internet that Comcast doesn't charge for any use other than 'internet' external to comcast and delivered over my own wifi/wired connection and the set top boxes use of 'internet-external' via apps using their own DOCSIS modems.

I am VERY confused.  

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: ... it is not my job to cite but to relay information. that said the 2nd post on the bobile stream app has many FAQs ...

As you "relay information", why not post the source, especially if you are quoting Comcast policy? And instead of posting gibberish, why not post the URL?  "2nd post on the bobile stream app" appears to be a reference to the Forum article at http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Xfinity-Stream-TV/m-p/2874439#M6109.

Why not post it??? How hard is it to post a web address??? Copy, paste, done!

A similar policy statement is located at https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/live-tv-streaming/ :

Will live TV and/or XFINITY On Demand streaming on the XFINITY Stream app or XFINITY Stream portal count against my XFINITY Internet data usage plan?

When you are in your home and connected to your in-home XFINITY network, streaming video to the XFINITY Stream app and portal is an in-home cable service delivered over Comcast's managed cable network, not over the Internet, so it will not count towards your XFINITY Internet monthly data usage. If you watch any TV Everywhere programming through the XFINITY Stream app, that programming is delivered over an Internet or mobile connection and will count towards any usage thresholds that may apply.

Unfortunately, those policy statements are in direct contradiction to the one at https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan/, which says

All data usage delivered over your home XFINITY Internet service, both downloaded and uploaded, is counted towards your data plan, regardless of the source.

For example, all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through www.xfinity.com/stream and XFINITY apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage.

One policy statement says streaming Comcast content counts, the other says it does not count. Since these cannot both be correct, Comcast should fix the erroneous one.

I wonder how many years that will take?

Problem Solver

Hi all

I think the confusion lies in the difference between "Internet-based" and "managed network."

As mentioned in previous replies, "TV everywhere" (aka TV Go) content is considered "Internet-based," as it can be watched anywhere on the public Internet. It counts against your data cap whether you watch it in your home or out, as noted in the message below the transport bar at the bottom of the video playback screen in XFINITY Stream when you start any TV Go channel or OnDemand content. In home-only content, as the name implies, can only be watched on the Comcast-mananged network in your home. It's considered equivalent to your cable TV service and does not go over the public Internet, so it does not count against your data cap.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

ComcastLoriHC wrote:

Hi all

I think the confusion lies in the difference between "Internet-based" and "managed network."

As mentioned in previous replies, "TV everywhere" (aka TV Go) content is considered "Internet-based," as it can be watched anywhere on the public Internet. It counts against your data cap whether you watch it in your home or out, as noted in the message below the transport bar at the bottom of the video playback screen in XFINITY Stream when you start any TV Go channel or OnDemand content. In home-only content, as the name implies, can only be watched on the Comcast-mananged network in your home. It's considered equivalent to your cable TV service and does not go over the public Internet, so it does not count against your data cap.

Then the statement on this page should be revised: https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan/

Data Usage

All data usage delivered over your home XFINITY Internet service, both downloaded and uploaded, is counted towards your data plan, regardless of the source.

For example, all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through www.xfinity.com/stream and XFINITY apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage.
Gold Problem Solver

ComcastLoriHC wrote: ... I think the confusion lies in the difference between "Internet-based" and "managed network." ...

I can find no indication on any https://tv.xfinity.com/ pages whether the content is "TV everywhere" or not when viewed in a browser on a PC.

Does all of that content count? None of it? Some of it???

Bronze Problem Solver

BruceW wrote:

ComcastLoriHC wrote: ... I think the confusion lies in the difference between "Internet-based" and "managed network." ...

I can find no indication on any https://tv.xfinity.com/ pages whether the content is "TV everywhere" or not when viewed in a browser on a PC.

The only indication I see below the trasport bar is the TV GO replacing the channel number when you start playing a source.

Fox news channel in home:

Untitled1.png

Fox news channel tv go:

Untitled.png:

Service Expert

With my T-<name brand> cell phone's unlimited service I use TVgo a lot. It does not count toward my cap since the data is off xfinity's network (not on my router's DOCSIS modem).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

mvenanzi wrote:

BruceW wrote:

The only indication I see below the trasport bar is the TV GO replacing the channel number when you start playing a source.

Fox news channel in home:

Untitled1.png

Fox news channel tv go:

Untitled.png:

If you turn it upright (portrait mode) there is information under the video window that says "Accessing the internet. Data charges may apply'.. It has the 'tvgo' icon in front of it.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: ... If you turn it upright (portrait mode) ...

How would one do that when, as stated, "viewing in a browser on a PC"???

Service Expert

BruceW wrote:

Rustyben wrote: ... If you turn it upright (portrait mode) ...

How would one do that when, as stated, "viewing in a browser on a PC"???

bruce it looked like a smart device screen capture of an app. On the web page there is a notice that appears for about 5 seconds under the video.

charges1.jpg

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

If you are going to use the terms "Internet-based", "managed network", "TV everywhere", and "TV Go", why can't you incorporate them in https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan/? Why does that page say "All data ... is counted towards your data plan, regardless of the source"? Why doesn't it list any exceptions? Why does it explicitly say "regardless of the source"? Why does it explicitly say "... all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through www.xfinity.com/stream and XFINITY apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage"? Why isn't the phrase "Internet-based" defined here? Why aren't "managed network", "TV everywhere", and "TV Go" even mentioned here???

Customers are not psychics. Comcast needs to be much, much clearer here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation