Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Cannot Download TV or Movies on Xfinity app

New Poster

Cannot Download TV or Movies on Xfinity app

I have used the TV GO app with great success downloading content for when I travel. Now that I have been forces over to the xfinity tv app I can no longer do this. I have xfinity 1 but for some reason the download option does not appear when I select a tv show or a movie - even though I filter for downloadability. I contacted customer service and spent 40 minutes with someone that really didnt know anything about the app. I also tried the chat feature. No one can seem to answer. I believe it must be a simple setting issue or something. Yes I have deleted the app and reloaded it a few times. Does anyone else have this issue?

Problem Solver

Re: Cannot Download TV or Movies on Xfinity app

likemando6 wrote:

I have used the TV GO app with great success downloading content for when I travel. Now that I have been forces over to the xfinity tv app I can no longer do this. I have xfinity 1 but for some reason the download option does not appear when I select a tv show or a movie - even though I filter for downloadability. I contacted customer service and spent 40 minutes with someone that really didnt know anything about the app. I also tried the chat feature. No one can seem to answer. I believe it must be a simple setting issue or something. Yes I have deleted the app and reloaded it a few times. Does anyone else have this issue?

What TV show or movie are you trying to download? Not everything is downloadable.

I set my On Demand TV filter to just "Available for Download", and picked a bunch of shows in the list, picking the "More Episodes" button, and all the ones I picked had a "Download" option.  The only things that didn't have a download option was the things under the Featured catagory.

Also, what OS are you running the app on?

New Poster

Yes I filtered for downlaodable tv shows and movies just as I used to do with the old and better TV Go app. And just like before , the tv content available is from starz and showtime.

I did discover the issue. However I am not sure why the support person I spent 40 minutes with on the phone or the live chat person didnt tell me this. With this new app you need to be on your home network in order to download the tv shows and movies. This was not the case with the old app and indeed it is not clear in the on line directions that this is the case. It is clear that for streaming content you need to be on your home network but that point is not highlighted for downloads.

So I will only be able to download enough tv episodes for one way travel.

Service Expert

likemando6 wrote:

Yes I filtered for downlaodable tv shows and movies just as I used to do with the old and better TV Go app. And just like before , the tv content available is from starz and showtime.

I did discover the issue. However I am not sure why the support person I spent 40 minutes with on the phone or the live chat person didnt tell me this. With this new app you need to be on your home network in order to download the tv shows and movies. This was not the case with the old app and indeed it is not clear in the on line directions that this is the case. It is clear that for streaming content you need to be on your home network but that point is not highlighted for downloads.

I download on the road on hotel and hospital and restaurant wifi and xfinitywifi hotspots. A recent thread said that the app must be in the foreground to 'continue' downloads since iOS apparently stops activity of the app after some time when the app is not in the foreground. (a bug that they are working on).

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Official Employee

likemando6 wrote:

You can download content from anywhere within the United States. You do not need to be in your home.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
New Poster

I already had about 5 old movies downloaded but after upgrade they are no longer showing.

1.  Is there a way to access them through new app without re download 

2.  Are they unlinked and now taking up room on my iPad with no way to delete them?

New Poster

With the new app I can no longer download any movie for offline viewing.  Even with the filter selected for download, no download icon appears on any movie. Old tv on the go worked great, but new app will not work. At least it will not work on my IPad 

Official Employee

maitaieddie wrote:

With the new app I can no longer download any movie for offline viewing.  Even with the filter selected for download, no download icon appears on any movie. Old tv on the go worked great, but new app will not work. At least it will not work on my IPad 

Please select "Movie Info" which should take you to the main movie page. From there you should see a "Download" option.

Note that there is currently a bug that doesn't filter the "Featured" items (larger sized images) in the very top row when filters are applied. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Service Expert

maitaieddie wrote:

had the time limit of 30 days passed? (auto check in). Can you now play the old movies on the DVR?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Frequent Visitor

It needs to be made clear that you have to click on movie info to find the download button.  I don't know why they can't just put it below the watch button. This would clear up a lot of questions.

New Poster

Yes the issue is that your DVR box is not set to the cloud, call the IT department and tell them to link your DVR to the cloud then the recordings will show up on your phone. I went throught this for months.  Until they show you have a cloud account set you won't be able to access.

New Poster

I can't find any movies to download either. I'm using the Xfinity Stream TV app on iOS.  My expectation is that if I've filtered for downloadable, I should be able to download everything it gives me, just like if I'm on Amazon and filter for only OLED TV sets, everything listed should be OLED.  I've clicked on a dozen movies and none had the download symbol.

I think the catch is that the filter doesn't check which channels you have access to, but it sure as heck does before letting you download.  It lists tons of Starz stuff when I don't get Starz.  Sure, it may be possible to download IF I had that channel, but I don't.  If that's the case, it's bad design and clearly doesn't behave as expected.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation