Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can't watch local channels unless I'm connected to home network

New Poster

Can't watch local channels unless I'm connected to home network

Whenever I try to watch the local TV affiliates from my iPhone when I'm not connected to Wi-Fi, I get the message that I must be connected to my home Wi-Fi network. That kind of defeats the purpose of a mobile app. I'm wondering if this is a licensing or a technical issue. Seems odd that it would be licensing issue because when I had DISH network, I could watch all of the local channels remotely using only cellular data. Is there a way to resolve this using the Xfinity TV app?
Problem Solver

Re: Can't watch local channels unless I'm connected to home network

PRczar wrote:
Whenever I try to watch the local TV affiliates from my iPhone when I'm not connected to Wi-Fi, I get the message that I must be connected to my home Wi-Fi network. That kind of defeats the purpose of a mobile app. I'm wondering if this is a licensing or a technical issue. Seems odd that it would be licensing issue because when I had DISH network, I could watch all of the local channels remotely using only cellular data. Is there a way to resolve this using the Xfinity TV app?

Assuming you are talking about watching live local TV out of home, there is nothing you can do to change this. This is how the app is designed due to streaming rights that Comcast has setup with networks. The only channels you can watch live outside of your home network are the TVGO channels, and I have never seen a local channel marked as TVGO. Why Dish let this work, who knows, but Comcast definitely doesn't work that way.

See explanation here: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/live-tv-streaming/

Official Employee

Re: Can't watch local channels unless I'm connected to home network

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

PRczar wrote:

Assuming you are talking about watching live local TV out of home, there is nothing you can do to change this. This is how the app is designed due to streaming rights that Comcast has setup with networks. The only channels you can watch live outside of your home network are the TVGO channels, and I have never seen a local channel marked as TVGO. Why Dish let this work, who knows, but Comcast definitely doesn't work that way.

See explanation here: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/live-tv-streaming/

Comcast offers the ability to stream TV Go versions of ABC and NBC in select markets when out of home. The only markets where these rights are currently available are those where those local stations are owned by the parent networks (i.e. ABC and NBC). Each network also has about 100 stations that are owned by affiliates across the country and those rights are not yet secured.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation