Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Can't set recordings from stream app

ANSWERED
Contributor

Recording remotely

I saw the statutory prohibition against recording from a device or computer.  

Thi is absurd and in my view puts Xfinity/Comcast as a real disadvantage.  Is there an estimate as to when this feature will be restored.  I will likely switch in 6 months if it is not.  

Sometime if I'm watching something on a device in one room, I want to record.  I do not have that option.

Again, any estimate on restoration?

New Poster

Re: recording tv shows

So done 

New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Comcast!  Why don't you proactively alert your customers to these changes instead of letting us waste our time trying to figure out why something that we used to use is no longer there?  <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">

Regular Visitor

Not happy about this at all!!  This was such a simple way to record programs in advance and now you take it away, so keep increasing my bill to make me wonder what I am paying for.

New Poster

Xfinity Stream

I can’t delete scheduled recordings. There is no delete button.  Customer service did not have a clue.  Deleting programs already recorded is not a problem but deleting “scheduled recordimgs” does not seem possible.  There in no delete button.  I tried deleting from my cable box.  No success.  Tried on both iPhone and iPad scheduled recording won’t delete.  Anyone please help

New Poster

Could you please provide the source for this legal ruling? I'd like to review it.

Frequent Visitor

Can’t record from tv app

I don’t know when this started, but I noticed it just a couple of days ago. When I go to the guide and click on a program, it no longer gives me an option to record.
What’s up?
Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

Setting up Xfinity stream remote recording

What happened to the ability to do remote recording a show? Not able to set recording remotely, using the Xfinity stream app.
New Poster

Re: program dvr from a computer

Phone app it’s gone also.
Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity Stream

I have the same problem, but also cannot record current and future show by using my home computer or smartphone. I can record using the TV listing on my TV, but not remotely. 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Setting up Xfinity stream remote recording

New Poster

Re: Can’t record from tv app

I have noticed the same thing. I used to bring up a show on xfinity tv app and have an option to record. I do not see that option anymore. This was very helpful functionality. Not sure why it would be removed ??
New Poster

Recording remotely

Not only can I not record remotely, but not even when I am inhome on my ipad. What is your solution? Why don't yopu set up a nu,mber for us to call when we want something recorded and you do it until you get a deal with Tivo. Or let us connect directlky to our DVR and no remote app is needed.

New Poster

setting tv recordings from computer

why can't i set a recording on my dvr from my computer?

New Poster

thanks for the reply comcastjessie - yes please restore this functionality as soon as possible - this is a very valuable feature that I use often to record sporting events or other programs that are not available on demand.   .

Service Expert

reminder available (link here) to first page first post for best answer to questions about the record function.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Record function on Xfinity DVR is disabled for remote devices i.e. PC

More reasons to hope for the a FIOS option instead of this monopoly in our area

Contributor

Will you be offering an alternative?  Maybe a remote/keyboard to make scheduling recordings using the TV not so tedious?  

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV remote app

So the app is pretty much worthless without the record option. Pretty irate that a notification wasn't sent out regarding this. Now I've missed out recording MLS Cup final.
New Poster

App abilities changed??

For the last two weeks I can no longer schedule, modify or delete upcoming shows using the app? Did this change for Everyone? Made my experience with the app go from 5 star to 3 star instantly!
New Poster

I used to be able to set a recording from my android phone away from home. I can't do it now - why?

I used to be able to set a recording from my android phone when away from home - I can't do it now - why?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: I used to be able to set a recording from my android phone away from home. I can't do it now - w

michael5229 wrote: I used to be able to set a recording from my android phone when away from home - I can't do it now - why?

Please see http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/m-p/3006332#M10827.

New Poster

X1 stream app android

Why is there no record button on my app anymore? It used to be on there, now i can't record anything if i forget when i leave.
Thanks
New Poster

No record button on app

The record function on my xfinity app is no longer available. How has everyone fixed this?
New Poster

Re: X1 stream app android

One thing to think about is that any other competitive provider will have the same issue given the lawsuit, and that the real issue isn't Comcast but these stupid patent trolls like Rovi who think a basic software feature is patentable to let them hold everyone hostage while they extract fees for something basic and non-innovative they built 10 years ago.

Official Employee

Re: Recording remotely

Hello epurman, unfortunately at this time we do not. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Service Expert

reminder:  (link here) to first page first post for best answer to questions about the record function.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

What? Legal rulings? 🤬

New Poster

DVR

Would’ve been nice if you sent a message out about removing the RECORD option from xfinity app
Regular Visitor

This removes THE most important feature of the app!! When somebody mentioned a new show to me I could schedule it, no matter where I was - even from my boat. The app is worth very little w/o that feature.

New Poster

Since you are no longer able to offer the ability to record future programs in Xfinity Stream TV, a feature that I found quite convenient, how about reducing the cost of renting the recording device?

Frequent Visitor

ComcastJessie wrote:

All,

Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. We apologize for the inconvenience, we are actively pursuing an appeal of the ruling.

If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it's available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize again for the inconvenience.

Was it Comcast’s decision to remove this function after the ruling or was it legally required?

Bronze Problem Solver

Rwsrws wrote:

ComcastJessie wrote:

All,

Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. We apologize for the inconvenience, we are actively pursuing an appeal of the ruling.

If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it's available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize again for the inconvenience.

Was it Comcast’s decision to remove this function after the ruling or was it legally required?

Comcast didn't really claim that the ITC ruling is the cause for removing the record function. Their official statement to CNBC is:

"We respectfully disagree with the ITC's decision in this matter. In fact, Rovi has never disputed that Comcast or its predecessors independently developed our X1 platform and our cloud- and app-based technology. While we believe the ITC reached the wrong decision, we will remove this feature from those offered to our subscribers while we pursue an appeal."

They may be doing it to stop future legal action.

Source:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/22/tivo-shares-jump-on-patent-ruling-victory-over-comcast.html

Frequent Visitor

Set up recording on app?

Not sure if this is the right place for this but hopefully someone could help. If i was away from home and i forgot to set up a recording...i was always able to go to the streaming app and go to the guide and select the program(even if it had already started) and set up a recording. I just tried to do this today...but i could not set up a recording. All i could do is stream the show. So my question is...now if I am away from home and want to set up a recording...how do i do it? Is it still in the streaming app? Is it somewhere else now? Anything you could do yo help me out would be appreciated
Service Expert

Re: Set up recording on app?

reminder:  (link here) to first page first post for best answer to questions about the record function.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert
Moved:

Official Employee

Re: Tv show priority list has disappeared

Hello @dvdjck. Here is a link to the instructions on how to manage recording priorities via your in-home X1 DVR: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-manage-the-priority-of-a-program

I’m wondering if with the recent changes related to the lawsuit has caused additional issues other than just no longer being able to record on the DVR remotely. 

I have just noticed (it may have been missing longer) that the third option on the TV Remote app -Priority List is gone. I then went to the DVR itself, and I can’t find it there either. 

What has happened. How do we know what shows we have set to record other than the scheduled to record option. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Tv remote app

Why did the record function on Xfinity tv remote app disappear?
Frequent Visitor

Can't set recordings from stream app

Xfininity subscribers suddenly found that we could no longer add, modify, or delete  DVR schedules by mobile app or the Xfinity/TV website. Unbelievably, no explanation was send out to customers. Even the tech support people at Comcast have not been informed of the change.

Some searching on the internet revealed that Comcast was ordered to shut down this feature by a court order because of an ongoing lawsuit with TiVo. I hope that Comcast will realize what a loss this is to their customers before they start fleeing. I suggest that the company make an agreement to pay a royalty to TiVo, so that the feature can be restored. 

See

"Here’s Why You Can No Longer Program Your Comcast DVR From Your Smartphone"  

See http://brick.shorebeat.com/2017/12/heres-why-you-can-no-longer-program-your-comcast-dvr-from-your-sm...

New Poster

Set recordings from laptop

Can we not set recordings when away from home anymore? I used to be able to set and manage recordings from my laptop, but now that option doesn’t seem to be in place anymore.
Official Employee

Re: Setting up Xfinity stream remote recording

Hi caseqtr, the link that (BruceW) shared is a good place to find an answer to your question. Please go there and review any of the post from official Comcast employees, if you have any further questions please reach out to me here. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

DVR

I have a DVR but there seems to be no way to set up the DVR in advance anymore.  I look ahead and find shows I want to "tape" and the app on the phone or even online on the computer there is no way to record.  It only will offer to change my channel for me.  

New Poster

how od schedule a dvr recording with your phone. I do not want to stream

CAn you schedule a recording on your dvr with your phone? A pretty simple question, but not for xfinity. Very easy on directv.

Regular Visitor

Recording option missing from shows

I am missing the Record option, when reviewing each show.  For instance the current football game, and yesterday's games, I wasn't able to choose to record from the web interface.  This just started recently.

Modification after original post:  Here is the answer to this issue, that I missed;  http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/m-p/3006430#M10834

RecordIssue-ex.jpg
New Poster

Record from my iPhone

How do I set my DVR to record something with my iPhone when I'm away from home?

New Poster

Re: Missing "Record" option on individual programs

I don't get it.  I want to record the program to the X1 in my home, like I've been doing for years.  Has this feature been removed?

It is, honestly, how I use my X1 95% if the time.  Without it, I might as well switch to an OTT service and drop Comcast altogether.

Service Expert

Re: Missing "Record" option on individual programs

Chaboudsf wrote:

I don't get it.  I want to record the program to the X1 in my home, like I've been doing for years.  Has this feature been removed?

It is, honestly, how I use my X1 95% if the time.  Without it, I might as well switch to an OTT service and drop Comcast altogether.

moved to mega-thread.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Record from "Live TV".

Why has the "Record" option disappeared from the Xfinitystream channel menu? It now only has "Watch Channel" and "Movie Info". Is there now a different way to set up to record a program?

Service Expert

Re: Record from "Live TV".

jfdoyle wrote:

Why has the "Record" option disappeared from the Xfinitystream channel menu? It now only has "Watch Channel" and "Movie Info". Is there now a different way to set up to record a program?

for those of us that have home X1 equipment, the only way to set a recording now is using the home set top box equipment. page one of this thread - first post has the best answer attached to the post.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon