New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can't set recordings from stream app

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

The recent ITC ruling orders Comcast to stop importing any cable boxes which include the capability to use the remote streaming and recording feature the allegedly infringed patent protects. Comcast’s response was to eliminate the feature. Why? Why not let us with existing boxes continue using the the apps full capabilities.

Silver Problem Solver

Tivo sues Comcast over X1

Is this true? Comcast can no longer sell the X1?

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/11/23/tivo-wins-comcast-xfinity-case/

Regular Visitor

Is this ruling only against Comcast?

Would switching to Direct TV give me back the ability to set DVR to record shows for dthe upcoming couple of weeks like Comcast used to have?

Comcast commented about watching the shows you used to set to record by going to On Demand.

Doesn't that mean I can no longer fast forward through commercials?

New Poster

record from app

i am no longer giving a option to record a show from my app! i can watch the show.
New Poster

Nice Comcast: you finally gave me a big enough kick to downgrade my service to limited basic and just rely on streaming for movies.

New Poster

Recording on the Go

Why is it that the xfinity stream app will not let you record shows anymore from your phone or computer?

Service Expert

Re: Recording on the Go

Kat1127 wrote:

Why is it that the xfinity stream app will not let you record shows anymore from your phone or computer?

please go to the first post on the first page of this thread for the answer.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

I got the same message from a Comcast rep, The option to recordfrom the PC browser or the stream app is gonem for now at least trying to get it back though she said. 

New Poster

Oh wow!  Thank you for the information.  Hopefully they can get that back because it was so convenient!!!

New Poster

Remote DVR Access

I just discovered that with Xfinity you cannot now set a recording from a device (pc/phone/tablet).  I don't recall any notice of this, and I feel that it is unfair since, when I signed up for my plan, this was a feature that I wanted.

New Poster

WOW!  Big loss of functionality and convenience.

jmar76 wrote:
So this has happened to me before on occasion but not lately, but today I tried to set recordings for several different things using the xfinity stream app and for some reason today the option just isn't there. Over the weekend I also just happened to read that Comcast just lost a decision by the ITC in favor of Rovi in a patent suit saying that Comcast is infringing on Rovi's patent for the technology in the app that is used to set recordings on mobile devices for X1 set top boxes. So I'm just wondering is it just a coincidence that it's not even an option for me today and perhaps due to maintenance of some kind on the app, or did Comcast temporarily pull this technology from the app as a result of the ruling by the ITC? Thanks very much to anyone who can shed some light on this.

New Poster

Re: DVR not showing recording options

Looks like to me that Comcast needs to disable my charges for a few months, too, then. Not a lot of reason to have a DVR box if you can't set recordings. 

Official Employee
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

Rustyben wrote:

Kat1127 wrote:

please go to the first post on the first page of this thread for the answer.

This is not the answer. Just a boilerplate response. You are not an employee so what gives you the right to send the same information over and over? The first page says something about a lawsuit, not that details of the lawsuit or whether Comcast could have retained this feature in the short term. 

Was Comcast required to immediately remove this functionality to their paying customers? Yes or No?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Recording Programs

ComcastAmir wrote:

Hi LKW2, That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience. Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

To an official employee once again I am asking did the lawsuit require Comcast to immediately remove this functionality?

New Poster

That’s very disappointing! I will be contacting Comcast to renegotiate my monthly bill. They take away something from me,and I will take my business elsewhere
Service Expert
Moved:

New Poster

search and record

i used to be able to search a program from my computer while at work and hit record and now the record series button isn't there, it just wants me to watch online.

New Poster

Re: I can no longer record shows remotely

Thanks. I have spent endless time and frustration trying to figure out what happened. Would have been nice if Xfinity would have told us with our bills. 

Can't imagine this company and the other big players when net neutrality goes away. They run ruffshod over the very customers who pay the bills. In Denver we have no choice of cable providers. They have an exclusive contract for a long time so no competition to keep them responsive. 

Service Expert

RL41 wrote:

Thanks. I have spent endless time and frustration trying to figure out what happened. Would have been nice if Xfinity would have told us with our bills. 

Can't imagine this company and the other big players when net neutrality goes away. They run ruffshod over the very customers who pay the bills. In Denver we have no choice of cable providers. They have an exclusive contract for a long time so no competition to keep them responsive. 

I'm a customer just like you. Comcast was forced into this by a court order, it has nothing to do with anything else. Comcast has appealed. see first page first post of this thread for 'best answer'. 

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Why? In detail. This makes the app almost useless. The recordings on my DVR appear on my recordings list in the app so what possible difference could it make whether the command for recording comes from the app or DVR? This is one very unhappy customer.

New Poster

What was the legal ruling that is preventing me from recording from my xfinity stream app? Is there a Web link to the ruling? Under rules for utilities it is an unlawful interruption of services. And certainly the FCC doesnot have the authority to make such actions under the law.

So if at all possible could you please send me a link to the court rulings in question please.

Thank you.

New Poster

Re: how to record when i'm not home

Hi Joe,
I recently noticed that this functionality is no longer available in my app (Android). When I tap on a show, record is no longer an option that is listed. The instructions you listed below for the app now leads to an unavailable page (404 error).

Was this functionality removed from the app? How can I schedule a recording from the Xfinity steam app?
New Poster

Then Comcast should give us the ability to watch all remotely on a regular TV via Apple TV or similar until they get this fixed.  Or, the ability to download all shows remotely.

Frequent Visitor

Dvr and smartphone app

Why can’t I set my dvr with xfinity smartphone app?
Service Expert

Re: Dvr and smartphone app

wwallace4 wrote:
Why can’t I set my dvr with xfinity smartphone app?

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/tivo-notches-win-itc-patent-battle-comcast/416736

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tivo-comcast-patent/tivo-wins-set-top-box-patent-case-against-com...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

This is majorly annoying and diminishes the value of the service, which I already pay more than $300/month for.  There's other competitor options out there, and short a fix for this valuable function in the weeks to come, I'm going to find a better one.  LAME!!

New Poster

Regardless of the reason, this is a shoddy example of customer service. This is part of the service that I pay for and have commited to for 2 years. Comcast should have sent out an explanation to customers and offered some geature for the truoble this might represent. This is an aspect of the product that heavily contributed to me keeping this very expensive service. I am a very disapointed customer

New Poster

What's the legal ruling?  Who were the parties? Who sought to end this utlity?  Consumers should be informed so we can raise our voices in objection, or on appeal.  You customers should have been informed about this.

Most Valued Poster

Re: program dvr from a computer

As stated in the first few posts, Comcast lost a law suit they feel they should have won and are now appealing said decision.  This is not an issue that most likely will be resolved over night.  My best guess the time frame would be measured in years unless Comcast relents, admits guilt, pays damages and then starts paying royalties.  

Or, one can do what I have done and just move on, accept it as a first world problem and find something else to complain about, like the outrageous prices on Avacodos these days.  Smiley Happy

New Poster

This is a serious issue for me. I am disabled and my hands don’t function well enough to use the remote. I can tap with my thumb on my iPhone to make changes. Maybe your legal team can use ADA as one argument when they appeal.
New Poster

Recording from iOS app via I Pad or I Phone

I wanted to activate the DVR to record a program while I was away from Home.  I fired up the Remote App on both my I Phone and I Pad but the Rec icon was gone, only tune to channel was visible.  Anyone else have this happen to them?

Service Expert

Re: Recording from iOS app via I Pad or I Phone

wizardtruestar wrote:

I wanted to activate the DVR to record a program while I was away from Home.  I fired up the Remote App on both my I Phone and I Pad but the Rec icon was gone, only tune to channel was visible.  Anyone else have this happen to them?

hi, yes we are all in the same boat. at the top or bottom of the page click on page 1 of this thread and note the 'best answer' in the first post. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

program future upcoming programs to my infinity recorder from my lap top

can't program my xfinity 1 recorder from my computer as before of upcoming shows

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV remote app

Dear KenF -

I get that this is a tough issue but agree with others here that the lack of communication (in the right places) is disrepectful of valued (?) customers' time. 

Frequent Visitor

Tv show priority list has disappeared

I’m wondering if with the recent changes related to the lawsuit has caused additional issues other than just no longer being able to record on the DVR remotely. 

I have just noticed (it may have been missing longer) that the third option on the TV Remote app -Priority List is gone. I then went to the DVR itself, and I can’t find it there either. 

What has happened. How do we know what shows we have set to record other than the scheduled to record option. 

New Poster

Re: record button has disappeared in last 24 hours

Certainly, not anything proprietary anymore.  As much as we pay for Comcast the least they could do is pay some of that money to cover whatever it is that TiVo wants to take care of this! I'm even more upset that they didn't even think we had the right to know.  So, Comcast pulled the customer centered almost rebrand and then customer service went to the birds.

Service Expert

Re: program future upcoming programs to my infinity recorder from my lap top

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/tivo-notches-win-itc-patent-battle-comcast/416736

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tivo-comcast-patent/tivo-wins-set-top-box-patent-case-against-com...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Recording shows while not in the local area

I used to be able to record upcoming shows on any channel no matter where I was. Now I cannot record networks while I am not in the local area?  Is it still possible to do this?

New Poster

how do I set a recording when I'm not home?

I for got to set a recording how can I do it from another computer or phone. I have tried logging and found the program on the TV guide but there is no option to set a recording. I have done this in the past but it no longer seems to work.

New Poster

Why was it removed? It was very handy if needing to record and not at home! Very disappointing!
Service Expert
Moved:

Re: program future upcoming programs to my infinity recorder from my lap top

Your post has been removed to a secure, hidden area for violating Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with the Guidelines you may review them here. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

New Poster

Online Record Functionality

Will online record function return, if so when?

New Poster

record a show

how do i remotely schedule a recording?

Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tivo sues Comcast over X1

barbie123 wrote:

Is this true? Comcast can no longer sell the X1?

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/11/23/tivo-wins-comcast-xfinity-case/

Barbie123,

The X1 platform is still available to any customer who wants that service. Please watch this forum for the latest updates/changes. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Was your question answered? Please mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Please post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Service Expert

Re: record a show

bartman94585 wrote:

how do i remotely schedule a recording?

Hi, please use the page selector in this thread and pick page 1 and the reason and best answer is included with the first post on that page. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Recording Programs

Rwsrws wrote:

ComcastAmir wrote:

Hi LKW2, That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience. Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

To an official employee once again I am asking did the lawsuit require Comcast to immediately remove this functionality?

Not an official employee but I can answer the question from the perspective of a customer, with knowledge I've gained after extensively researching the issue.  First of all, this was not a lawsuit at all, it was an ITC complaint ruling.  The rulling from the ITC went against Comcast's position and in favor of the current Tivo patent holder. 

The ITC has no jurisdiction to legally prevent Comcast from offering this service to it's customers.  The ITC really has very limited jurisdiction over US based companies, but in this case they ruled Comcast could no longer import devices that supported this, and several other features in dispute.

There was no legal requirement, or reason for that matter, for Comcast to unnecessarily cut off it's customers.  In the unrelated Federal court cases that haven't even been heard yet, let alone ruled upon, the argument they are trying to claim is that consumers would be harmed if they were to lose the real patent infringement case.  So they apparently developed this misguided legal strategy of cutting us off, to demonstrate just how harmed and angry consumers would be if they lost the real lawsuit.

This is nothing more than a lawyer's powerplay with customers getting caught up in the crossfire.  There is no legal reason for Comcast to have done this, but yet they have.

Frequent Visitor

Rustyben wrote:

RL41 wrote:

I'm a customer just like you. Comcast was forced into this by a court order, it has nothing to do with anything else. Comcast has appealed. see first page first post of this thread for 'best answer'. 

There was NO COURT ORDER.  There was an ITC ruling to ban importation of devices having this, and other features in question.  There is no legal restriction on Comcast offering this service to users with existing, or US manufactured equipment.  The ITC has no legal jurisdiction over this.

New Poster

Re: recording tv shows

Is Comcast going to offer a rebate for its customers because we can no longer use this function. This was one of the only great things about Comcast. I am gone a lot and constantly used this function to record shows to my dvr, and delete them, and watch from afar. I believe we should be compensated.

Contributor

Recording remotely

I saw the statutory prohibition against recording from a device or computer.  

Thi is absurd and in my view puts Xfinity/Comcast as a real disadvantage.  Is there an estimate as to when this feature will be restored.  I will likely switch in 6 months if it is not.  

Sometime if I'm watching something on a device in one room, I want to record.  I do not have that option.

Again, any estimate on restoration?