New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can't set recordings from stream app

ANSWERED
New Poster

Re: Stream TV iOS no longer has record option as of last few days

Thanks to all of you for the explanation. I used the record feature about a week ago and was unable to do so yesterday. I assumed it was “operator error” and wasted all kinds of time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Glad to know it wasn’t me. It is a very useful tool, I hope it returns.
New Poster

Re: Can't Record from Xfinity Remote App

Agreed. I just re-upped but will consider cancelling within my window if this si not resolved. Pay the licensing fee already!
Regular Visitor

Recoding

Unable to record tv shows from my iPhone.
I was informed that this is no longer available due to licensing and that they are working on it?
I have been a costumer for 30 years and Comcast is my largest bill.
I am on a fixed income but I am willing to pay this expense due to the convenience of watching my favorite shows.
Why was this convenience done away with?
Also, why not provide the obvious when it comes to costumer service. Provide clear speaking English communicators. It’s hard on both sides.
Thank you and I’m hoping to hear from you.
New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

I sent this thread to engagdet. They previously reported on the patent suit. I encourage others to spread the word and put the pressure on comcast to resolve this.
Regular Contributor

Sorry but I cannot believe the 1000+ posts on this. Comcast doesn’t care!! It’s over no more scheduling from the app. Ok my opinion is now blocked !! 👹
Frequent Visitor

Doug-H wrote:

I have a very easy work around with my Slingbox that works perfectly..  I can set the recordings using my Slingbox on my computer or tablet..  Then afer recording, I can dowload to computert or tablet to watch off line on a plane like I did the other day..   

People can complain all they want but it was a neat new feature that Xfinity provided at no extra cost than what was being charged anyway..  It is a shame it ran into  problems with legal issues.  I figure these little companies that hold patents will be paid off and it'll be back..   Happens all the time in the tech world..

So I should spend MORE money and add Slingbox so I can do what I used to be able to do?  We CAN complain all we want, these features are not provided at no extra cost, they are provided as part of our promotion or monthly charge. 

Want to see Comcast explain why they had to take this step. I’m looking for ruling that said this feature had to be immediately removed. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Lost recording capabilities

jmar76 wrote:
Everyone else. It's currently a legal issue for Comcast and they working on resolving it.

Can you please post the legal information where we can see that the feature had to be removed?

Service Expert

Re: Lost recording capabilities

Rwsrws wrote:

jmar76 wrote:
Everyone else. It's currently a legal issue for Comcast and they working on resolving it.

Can you please post the legal information where we can see that the feature had to be removed?

a post on this page above yours has a link to a pdf file. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/m-p/3009325/highligh...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Ridiculous..What legal basis would prohibit from setting a recording on a DVR? Comcast does it again.

Official Employee

Re: Programming TV DVR from computer

That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
New Poster

X1 record elimination

I can’t believe Xfinity would remove the Record option from the TV Remote capability.

I often travel and depend on that capability to record programs not available at my location.

To allow e to spend valuable time trying to get your Customer support people to troubleshoot the absence of the Record option which they were totally ignored of the issue,

One of the primary resons I contract and pay the very high price for this service is for this option.

Don’t make you customers be punished for your Corpret officers violating patent rights.

You lost. Take the hit and restore what you should never have removed

Service Expert

Re: X1 record elimination

BH85 wrote:

I can’t believe Xfinity would remove the Record option from the TV Remote capability.

I often travel and depend on that capability to record programs not available at my location.

To allow e to spend valuable time trying to get your Customer support people to troubleshoot the absence of the Record option which they were totally ignored of the issue,

One of the primary resons I contract and pay the very high price for this service is for this option.

Don’t make you customers be punished for your Corpret officers violating patent rights.

You lost. Take the hit and restore what you should never have removed

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/tivo-notches-win-itc-patent-battle-comcast/416736

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tivo-comcast-patent/tivo-wins-set-top-box-patent-case-against-com...

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Can't Program DVR from PC

I can no longer program my DVR from the TV Grid on my PC.  I used to be able to click on a program title in the Grid, the field would expand and give me the option to record the show.  Now when the cell expands the only options I am given are: "Watch" and "More Information".  I have tried two differnt computers and several differnt browsers.  The results are the same.

Why did this change?

How can I program my DVR from my PC?

Frequent Visitor

Can't set recordings from tv.xfinity.com/listings page

I am able to set recordings from the X1 listings on my TV screen. However, I am not always able to set them from the tv.xfinity.com/listings page because the record function intermittently disappears.

This is true from both a Windows 7 and a Windows 10 computer and from both Firefox and Internet Explorer. All computers and browsers have the latest updates and plug-ins.

Service Expert

Re: Can't set recordings from tv.xfinity.com/listings page

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/tivo-notches-win-itc-patent-battle-comcast/416736

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tivo-comcast-patent/tivo-wins-set-top-box-patent-case-against-com...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

Re: Can't Program DVR from PC

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

i phone xinfity remote app does not show record option

I phone remote control app suddenly does show record option .... help

New Poster

When will Comcast return the ability to record with xfinity remote

When will Comcast return the ability to record from xfinity remote
Tags (2)
New Poster

App no longer allows me to set recording?

I can no longer use the app to set a recording. The record this program option does not come up?..

Contributor

Xfinity Apps-legal debacle

So I've read all of the posts about the legal issue and the removal of the remote recording function from the Comcast apps and desktop computers.  It seems the mods all suggest using On Demand (which is their answer for everything).  Can someone from Comcast please respond if they plan on putting all of the live sports on demand then?  It's a tedious process to use the set top box to set recordings, and the fact I could start recording a live sports event remotely was one of the primary selling points for me to stick with cable anyway since I'm mainly a sports viewer.  At the very least house all of the live sports On Demand and at least that would solve this temporarily.  

New Poster

Recording Programs

Took a half hour to discover that due to a legal proceeding, the ability to record a program from my iPad to watch later on TV, or to priortize a program to be recorded has ended on Nov 30, 2017.  All I can say is Hiss Boo!!!! 😏

Service Expert

Re: Xfinity Apps-legal debacle

TreCool883 wrote:

So I've read all of the posts about the legal issue and the removal of the remote recording function from the Comcast apps and desktop computers.  It seems the mods all suggest using On Demand (which is their answer for everything).  Can someone from Comcast please respond if they plan on putting all of the live sports on demand then?  It's a tedious process to use the set top box to set recordings, and the fact I could start recording a live sports event remotely was one of the primary selling points for me to stick with cable anyway since I'm mainly a sports viewer.  At the very least house all of the live sports On Demand and at least that would solve this temporarily.  

no. Set up recordings while at home or have someone at home do them. recordings can be set up to 2 weeks in the future.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

Re: App no longer allows me to set recording?

bginn4 wrote:

I can no longer use the app to set a recording. The record this program option does not come up?..

see page one of this thread, the first app shows the best answer.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

Re: When will Comcast return the ability to record with xfinity remote

ganesh5555 wrote:
When will Comcast return the ability to record from xfinity remote

see the first post of page one of this thread for the best answer.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

Re: Recording Programs

Hi LKW2, That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience. Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Service Expert
Moved:

What are the services that we thought we paid Comcast for but they actually give us for free?

Your post has been removed to a secure, hidden area for violating Forum Guidelines [spamming the forums with the same message]. If you are not familiar with the Guidelines you may review them here. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

New Poster

I’ve been trying for days to set up some recordings on my iPad and finally decided to look up why it wasn’t working. It’s pretty annoying since I was under the impression this was part of our package. Comcast/Xfinity is not cheap! What’s more frustrating is that we didn’t receive any notification about this and had to figure it out on our own. I’d really appreciate them figuring this out so we can get this option back!

Service Expert

Shoop720 wrote:

I’ve been trying for days to set up some recordings on my iPad and finally decided to look up why it wasn’t working. It’s pretty annoying since I was under the impression this was part of our package. Comcast/Xfinity is not cheap! What’s more frustrating is that we didn’t receive any notification about this and had to figure it out on our own. I’d really appreciate them figuring this out so we can get this option back!

please go to the top of page one of this thread and see the 'best answer'.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Schedule recording from app

Can I schedule a recording from my iPhone with the app?
Service Expert
Moved:

Re: Stream TV iOS no longer has record option as of last few days

New Poster

Give us on demand option on stream app
New Poster

This is an important feature of your service. Waiting for an appellate ruling? That will be a year or more. How about paying a license fee to TiVo? How about refunding some of our monthly fees. I will begin researching other competitors to see if they offer this feature. 

Service Expert

Totalpro wrote:
Give us on demand option on stream app

on demand is available with your browse menu. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Xfinity Streaming and recording from devices

I have a question to Xfinity. Since the service was terminated on being able to record on devices like iPads and iPhones will our rates go down for this inconvenience? This is very frustrating especially paying a bill payment of $209 a month. Thinking of switching over to DISH and using their Hopper System.
Service Expert
Moved:

Re: Xfinity TV remote app

New Poster

TV record from cell

How do you set a tv recording on an X1 DVR from a cell phone. I used to be able to do through the xfinity stream app but this may have been before I switched to the X1?

Service Expert

Re: TV record from cell

Jud4 wrote:

How do you set a tv recording on an X1 DVR from a cell phone. I used to be able to do through the xfinity stream app but this may have been before I switched to the X1?

if you go to the first post on this thread the best answer gives the Comcast response.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

recording tv shows from remote locations

I usually set up my DVR to record tv shows from my laptop at work.  I would browse through the TV listing on xfinity.com on my work laptop.  When I click on a TV show in the listings I used to get an option to set recording.  I no longer get that option.

Frequent Visitor

Re: recording tv shows from remote locations

Major inconvenience.

I could set remote recordings from the DirecTV website in 2007.

TEN YEARS AGO.

Regular Visitor

Re: Why did Comcast discontinue recording tv programs onto DVR from my PC?

I wish they would tell us something, burns my but. I use to get caller ID on my PC but they stoped that without telling us.

New Poster

Stream App and remote app does not allow recording!

The removal of the remote DVR recording capabilities; has many of us looking for other choices/alternatives.  I have spent five different phone calls today - explaining to Comcast how this effects the customer.  Comcast does not want to discuss the results of the lawsuit with the Tivo Folks.  Comcast does not want to recognize the fact of how many customers set and managed their DVR remotely.  Comcast will not give anybody credit for having to purchase a Tivo box and sign up for service. I was one of the first customers to sign up for X1.  At the time; we were charged to upgrade equipment. We all signed contracts.  Evidently Comcast doesn't care if they did not inform us of the App change.  Many of us spent hours; thinking it was our devices problem.  Guess what would happen if I tried to get out of a contract early.  Please share any of your thoughts that I didn't cover.  Thanks for listening!

New Poster

The removal of the remote DVR recording capabilities; has many of us looking for other choices/alternatives.  I have spent five different phone calls today - explaining to Comcast how this effects the customer.  Comcast does not want to discuss the results of the lawsuit with the Tivo Folks.  Comcast does not want to recognize the fact of how many customers set and managed their DVR remotely.  Comcast will not give anybody credit for having to purchase a Tivo box and sign up for service. I was one of the first customers to sign up for X1.  At the time; we were charged to upgrade equipment. We all signed contracts.  Evidently Comcast doesn't care if they did not inform us of the App change.  Many of us spent hours; thinking it was our devices problem.  Guess what would happen if I tried to get out of a contract early.  Please share any of your thoughts that I didn't cover.  Thanks for listening!

New Poster

Anyone checked out other providers?

This is really annoying - we have TV, internet, and phone all with comcast - but this was an important feature they took away - has anyone found another provider with any signup incentives - I'm just south of San Francisco

New Poster

On Demand is NOT the same as watching a recording.  First of all, the DVR recording is available immediately (even while the recording is in-progress), whereas On Demand is not.  Second, On Demand is not necessarily available for all shows/channels.  Third, and this may be the biggest anoyance, you often have to sit through promos and/or ads in order to watch a show On Demand, and you cannot fast-forward through them or even through the show itself.  Many times when my DVR recording is flawed (as it often is - the recording only plays part way through - sometimes 4 minutes, sometimes 40), when you try to watch the remainder of the show On Demand, you have to watch the entire show over again because you can't fast-forward to the part you want to see.

You sold  this service (which doesn't always work well in the first place) on the assumption that you could control the DVR remotely. He!!, even before the X1 service was available, we were able to set the recordings remotely.  It's a huge selling point.  Removing this option amounts to nothing more than bait and switch.  From what I've read, Comcast is simply trying to avoid paying licensing fees related to the EPG and this is why you had to remove the functionality.  If that's the case, then SHAME ON YOU. At the very least, put a notice on the app (web and android/iphone) that recording option is no longer available so that we don't have to spend an hour waiting for tech support to determine why we can no longer record.  Beyond that, fix the problem or you will lose customers, myself included.

Official Employee

Re: Can't cancel scheduled recordings from the web site

Hello all, due to a judicial ruling, we have disabled this feature while we pursue an appeal. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Re: Can't cancel scheduled recordings from the web site

So pay Tivo to use their patent and give us the functionality back! NOW!

But don't you dare raise our rates and try to make the customer pay for your mistake. If you were dumb enough to a) ignore their patent   b) fail to research existing patents  c) thought you could 'just get away with it'   then you deserve to take the financial hit. OWN YOUR MISTAKE XFINITY!

Official Employee

Re: X1 record elimination

Hello BH85, please read my or ComcastShanes post on this thread for more information regarding the recording feature being removed from our app. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Visitor

Re: program dvr from a computer

Same issue here.  What a set back.  At least Comcast could let us know proactively they’re moved it so we aren’t searching for something we used to have!

New Poster

Setting recordings online

I don't have the option to set recordings online anymore. What happened?

Frequent Visitor

Romote Stream App & ITC Ruling

The recent ITC ruling orders Comcast to stop importing any cable boxes which include the capability to use the remote streaming and recording feature the allegedly infringed patent protects. Comcast’s response was to eliminate the feature. Why? Why not let us with existing boxes continue using the the apps full capabilities.