New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can't set recordings from stream app

ANSWERED
Official Employee

Re: No Record function on Stream App since update 2 days ago

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

This is horrible. Comcast needs to figure out another way to set recordings remotely as alot of us customers travel and can't be in front of our TV at home to constantly set recordings.

New Poster

TV stream app not showing the option to record, just watch??

For some reason the app is not giving me the option to record a program.  Both live and in the future??

I have done this before so don't know what happened.....

Help

Service Expert

Re: TV stream app not showing the option to record, just watch??

MarcA1 wrote:

For some reason the app is not giving me the option to record a program.  Both live and in the future??

I have done this before so don't know what happened.....

Help

it was due to a patent decision in court. Comcast is appealing. in previous posts Comcast reminded that on-demand for many shows is available if away from home.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

New Poster

what are the details of the ruling and why weren’t subscribers notified of this significant reduction in paid service functionality
Service Expert

stevepolinski03 wrote:
what are the details of the ruling and why weren’t subscribers notified of this significant reduction in paid service functionality

the first post notes the issue as a best answer. above on this page and previous page many customers have posted links to news articles.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I wasn’t aware of the licensing fee issue and I agree, the whole benefit of X1 is to manage your programming online...from anywhere. I’m sure we all pay a premium for X1 over any competitive alternative so Comcast, please give us the features we expect!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Stream TV iOS no longer has record option as of last few days

Does anyone have any inside suggestions for migrating to DirecTV or any other provider? Unfortunately we have no competing cable service here. Comcast has enjoyed monopolistic living for decades in the Seattle area. I would also appreciate any thoughts about alternatives for broadband. Right now, I just want to leave Comcast after some 30 years. The guillotine-like dropping of remote managing of the DVR has pushed me over the line. I have already initiated the process of trying to get out of my contract. Furious beyond description over rotten customer relations and absolutely uncaring corporate behavior. The only saving grace in all of this is that I don’t own stock in this company. I wouldn’t want to suffer further loss because of this company, and I believe this will be coming back to bite them in several unpleasant spots. 

New Poster

By taking away the ability to record programs remotely, Comcast has also taken away my reason for having cable tv service!  

Service Expert
Moved:

New Poster

Hi official support.

Please post the exact ruling, with exact specific language, and and all the specific details in writiing so I can reearch your answer more thoroughly and perhaps help you resolve this issue.  Thank you.

New Poster

You say I can't use my iPhone app to record shows on my DVR due to a "legal ruling". Can you tell me more about this ruling?

New Poster

Recording with remote and/or streaming app

Record option does not show up in program details in either app for iPhone or iPad 

Service Expert

Re: Recording with remote and/or streaming app

RobertNixon1443 wrote:

Record option does not show up in program details in either app for iPhone or iPad 

That feature has been removed from all remote apps due to a recent ruling.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

Recording

I have the tv remote app on my ipad. I use to be able to record a program until a few days ago. The record button does not appear now nor on my Desktop.

New Poster

Programming TV DVR from computer

I can no longer program my home TV from my computer.  WHY?

New Poster

Removal of Recording Feature on Xfinity Streaming App

I called in to Comcast when I discovered I was no longer able to Record from my devices, through the streaming app.  That was one of my favorite features, since i travel a lot and access my shows remotely.  What bothers me most of all is that Comcast removed the feature with NO communication to people telling them what was going on.   This is a deal-breaker to me and a reason that I, among many others, I’m sure, would switch service to another provider.  This is based mostly on the non-communication from Comcast explaining the situation.  I am positive that the call center personnel are not appreciating the calls coming in from dissatisfied and disappointed customers either.  If they would have explained what is going on, I would be having an entirely different attitude.  

New Poster

Why did Comcast discontinue recording tv programs onto DVR from my PC?

Why did Comcast discontinue recording tv programs onto DVR from my PC? This was a convenient feature and unhappy with its removal!

New Poster

I am a long time customer and big fan of the x1 system. I pay a lot of money to have these features. Comcast states this inconvenience is indefinite. This is not an acceptable answer. The ability to remotely set recordings has revolutionized how we can watch tv. As far as I know, competitors still provide this feature. Comcast needs to solve this issue immediately or all that money I'm dropping to them every month may go elsewhere.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Recording

I am having the same problem.  I chatted with an agent and was told 'sorry for the inconvenience but due to legal issues we have stopped supporting that feature.  This was one of the features that made me choose Xfinity.

Frequent Visitor

This is HUGE, and I am livid that Comcast let this happen, made no effort to alert their customers, and apparently isn't offereing any compensation.  Seriously, how hard is it to develop your own tech that allows your customers this feature?

I have been a strong advocate for Comcast for years.  They were always attentive to my service needs, even once sending a tech out promptly in 15 inches of snow to rehang my line.  Were always willing to work with me when my montly bill jumped; usually knocking it back down where it was and giving me more services.  My bill went up 20% recently due to a retired promotion and increased charges.  The best they can offer me now is a 4% discount off my current rate.  When I asked about the loss of remote DVR setting, it was clear they have not authorized their CS reps to offer any compensation 'since the service wasn't somethnig I was paying extra for.'

I declined the modest discount offer and will re-weigh my options.  Without the ability to set my DVR remotely, I no longer feel my service is worth the cost, and Comcast may be losing a longtime devoted customer.

New Poster

Re: Removal of Recording Feature on Xfinity Streaming App

I was looking for the same feature last night on my phone and then this morning on my computer at work (just in case it was moved and I couldn't find it).

It's good to know I'm not going crazy, but just one more thing to add to the list of reasons to leave Comcast.

Perhaps we need to start a thread listing our favorite feautres so that Comcast can refer to this list and delete the most pospular ones!

Frequent Visitor

tupa56 wrote:

Hi official support.

Please post the exact ruling, with exact specific language, and and all the specific details in writiing so I can reearch your answer more thoroughly and perhaps help you resolve this issue.  Thank you.

Here you go: https://www.usitc.gov/secretary/fed_reg_notices/337/337-1001_notice11212017sgl.pdf

Also, according to a JP Morgan alalyst per CNBC:

"We view this ruling as a significant positive for TiVo and a major step in what we expect to be a process of the two companies working toward final resolution," JPMorgan analyst Sterling Auty wrote in a note to clients Tuesday. 

"We would expect Comcast to appeal the ruling, but the importation ban will remain in effect during that process. Other potential workarounds, in our opinion, would only provide temporary relief, and we see this ban as being a strong motivator to help drive the two sides toward a new IP licensing agreement."

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/22/tivo-shares-jump-on-patent-ruling-victory-over-comcast.html

So it sounds like what is ultimately going to happen is, Comcast is going to write a big fat check to Tivo, then we'll get our DVR functionality back.

New Poster

Come on folks. Comcast has only had a Net Income of $7.7 Billion USD for the first none months of 2017! They obviously cannot afford to pay for this functionality. Expect your bill to go up once they settle this in Federal court!

And why are you whining that they didn't send out an email to all of their customers informing them of this ruling and their decision to cut the funcionality while they pursue their legal options? You actually expect them to do the right thing for their customers? Oh silly customer. Oh, wait. I'm a customer too. Bummer!

New Poster

So surely we can expect a decrease in our monthly bill?

Frequent Visitor

I have a very easy work around with my Slingbox that works perfectly..  I can set the recordings using my Slingbox on my computer or tablet..  Then afer recording, I can dowload to computert or tablet to watch off line on a plane like I did the other day..   

People can complain all they want but it was a neat new feature that Xfinity provided at no extra cost than what was being charged anyway..  It is a shame it ran into  problems with legal issues.  I figure these little companies that hold patents will be paid off and it'll be back..   Happens all the time in the tech world..

New Poster

I thought I was going crazy, because just a week or two ago I was able to schedule recordings and today I couldn't figure it out. Holy cow, why would Comcast remove this feature??

Frequent Visitor

What I find most interesting about this is that comcast didn't bother to communicate with its customers about this.  For the amount of money that I spend on Comcast services ($300/month), one would think notification would be in order. 

I use DirectTv in my vacation home - probably time to switch.

New Poster

That's how I watch tv usually. I record the shows while I'm busy with work or errands and I have my show recorded when I am ready to watch it. I'm super irritated about the lack of communication by Xfinity when they got rid of this option.

New Poster

Re: Can't Record from Xfinity Remote App

This is a very important feature for me. I used it all the time. Please settle this lawsuit ASAP
Contributor

Stream TV no longer has a Record option

In the Stream TV App I go to Live TV  -> All Channels

From the grid I can click on any program and it will open up a window.   As well as "watch" and "info", there used to be a "record" button to record a show.  This option seems to be gone.

I can see my recorded programs and scheduled recordings, so the app knows about my DVR.   

Did this option move somewhere else??   Is there some setting I can tweak??

thanks for any help

Contributor

Re: Stream TV no longer has a Record option

Comcast removed this option for the time being as they are currently embroiled in a legal battle over the technology. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.
New Poster

App recording feature = Zero Communication?

How the Hades can Comcast not inform their customers that such as vital function as app recording is disabled? I have to scour Forums to find out? Total Buffalo Bisquits! 😡
New Poster

Lost recording capabilities

I suddenly lost my ability to set recordings in Stream TV /Remote Control apps and TV.xfinity.com. Seems to have occurred after the last Apple software update.  Anyone else?

Service Expert

Re: Lost recording capabilities

Morecisc9 wrote:

I suddenly lost my ability to set recordings in Stream TV /Remote Control apps and TV.xfinity.com. Seems to have occurred after the last Apple software update.  Anyone else?

the first post on the first page of this mega-thread has the answer. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Re: Lost recording capabilities

Everyone else. It's currently a legal issue for Comcast and they working on resolving it.
New Poster

Removing record feature stinks. I will switch to FIOS
New Poster

Why didn’t Comcast notify users about the removal of the record feature. I just spent an hour trying to get the record button back. I thought the app didn’t download correctly on my new iPhone X. 

New Poster

DVR service not available

The DVR recording function is not available via the web or through the app.  The Comcast support person I talked to in a chat session told me that that feature has been turned off company wide due to a lawsuit or injuntion and that it wasn't known when it would be resolved.   Is this true?  I'm starting to wonder becuase I am not seeing any press on the subject, banner on the xfinity site pages or comments in the forum.  What is the truth?  How do you get the DVR record feature back?

Service Expert
Moved:

Re: DVR service not available

Service Expert

Re: DVR service not available

lineagekeeper wrote:

The DVR recording function is not available via the web or through the app.  The Comcast support person I talked to in a chat session told me that that feature has been turned off company wide due to a lawsuit or injuntion and that it wasn't known when it would be resolved.   Is this true?  I'm starting to wonder becuase I am not seeing any press on the subject, banner on the xfinity site pages or comments in the forum.  What is the truth?  How do you get the DVR record feature back?

The support person is correct.  Google loss of DVR functions as there is plenty of press out there on this recent development.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I agree that they should have informed their paying customers.  I switched to X1 just to have that functionality - which cost more than the normal service.  I'm traveling and cannot record my shows now.  That just stinks.  I chatted with Comcast the other night to find out why I couldn't record.  The tech tried to fix it for me and then he comes back and says, oh, sorry they removed that function due to a legal issue.  

I'm sure our rate won't go down but will increase once they settle with TiVo in order to cover the royalty costs.

New Poster

Uhg!!!  I am just as shocked about the mobil app feature removal.  I suspect it is no coincidence this has happened about the same time xfinity has a mobile device.  I wonder if this is a feature they are now providing for only the xfinity mobile phones.  I can't immagine any scenario that would allow xfinity to withhold this feature from their mobil customers.  Just seems like another way to squeeze the loyalty customer in search of new customers.  This type of activity only proves to me that internet providers will definitly start to throttle back internet speed and content, once the Net-Nutrality is repealed.  We must alll stand up for our freedoms to surf quickly, with open content not regulated by providers or government.

New Poster

I have been a 18yr long customer as well and feel bamboozled. I just entered another 3yr agreement based on he products and services I assumed would be available after reviewing other providers. I should be able to get out of my contract without a breach because of the false advertising. I hate getting the run around especially while paying a lot of money to a dying industry. I may as well do like the millenials and cut the cord... SMH.
New Poster

Mobile TV Remote App

I used to be able to record a program from the TV Remote app?  That does not seem to be possible anymore.  Did that function disappear or move to a more obscure location?

New Poster

Remote DVR Control

In case you didn't know, Comcast customers can no longer schedule TV programs on their home DVRs from remote computer devices.  This functionality has been removed and all recordings now must be set up in-home only.  There has been no notice put out by Comcast Mangement on this change.  This is a severe issue for the thousands (maybe more) of Comcast customers (PAYING CUSTOMERS) who have had a critical functionality taken away without warning and still no communication on from Comcast as to why.  The only reason I know about it is I called customer support to find out why I could no longer schedule future recordings of shows/events from my computer while I am on the road for the next four weeks.  Great support person (she was also upset about the situation) informed me there was a lawsuit and the functionality was removed without notice to anyone.  The details were sketchy and made no sense.

COMCAST MANAGEMENT - notify your paying customers about this situation.  Also explain why we are still paying for services promised that you have now cancelled unannounced.

New Poster

Contributor

Xfinity TV remote app for iPhone

Xfinity tv remote app for iPhone is not letting you record, the  only option is to watch shows.  I deleted and reinstalled the app and it is still showing only watch show.  Is anyone else having this issue?   Please help me with a fix, thank you

Service Expert

Re: Xfinity TV remote app for iPhone

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/tivo-notches-win-itc-patent-battle-comcast/416736

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tivo-comcast-patent/tivo-wins-set-top-box-patent-case-against-com...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I agree with all the posts, this may be a deal killer for me. It was a great option to be able to record from anywhere AND I am not overly thrilled with the speed of our internet. I think it’s time for a change.