New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can't set recordings from stream app

ANSWERED
Contributor

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

No problem. Yeah unfortunately not all of the employees are up to date on this issue yet but hopefully they will be as of this week. It was in the news this is all due to a legal issue between Comcast and TiVo (Rovi) regarding patents, but it's nothing to do with service outages of any kind or anyone's individual devices. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.
Contributor

Re: Stream App no longer lets me set recordings

Not sure why the app itself isn't working, but yeah the set recording function won't be working indefinitely as this is due to a legal issue between Comcast and TiVo (Rovi) regarding patents, it was in the news. Hopefully it will be resolved soon
Problem Solver

Re: Stream App no longer lets me set recordings

jmar76 wrote:
Not sure why the app itself isn't working, but yeah the set recording function won't be working indefinitely as this is due to a legal issue between Comcast and TiVo (Rovi) regarding patents, it was in the news. Hopefully it will be resolved soon

Had problems with web site and app earlier, random errors: not on home network, retrying, etc etc. Logged out off each then back in and that cleared up problems.

New Poster

Re: New Xfinity TV Remote Android App Won't Allow Record Scheduling

Won't record anymore. Me thinks since Xfinity lost the lawsuit to TIVO, its been tunred off. Goodbye Cable service.

KO

New Poster

TV Remote IPad Application

What happened to the ability to record using th TV Remote IPad application?  It appears this is no longer a capability since the only option now is "Watch".  The ability to record was a very useful for users who are sight-impaired and cannot read the guide on the TV. 

Official Employee
Moved:

TV Remote IPad Application

New Poster

Dear Comcast, please just pay the royalty to use the technology in the interim while the case is pending.  I'm confident the company can come up with the funds in the event the appeal is decided against the company.  Or build a break into customers' rates if there are no immediate plans to restore the functionality.  

An appeal in federal court like this can easily take a year or more to resolve.  

New Poster

Lost ability to set recordings remotely

Will Comcast be lowering customers' bills since Comcast has removed the promised feature to remotely record using a computer app or phone?

New Poster

Re: program dvr from a computer

I agree with you 100 percent!!  I tried to record from my phone just now like everyone else said that you still can....but nope the "record" option isnt there either.....so I did it from my TV....hopefully i can still WATCH from my Computer?!?!?!  Thanks Again Comcast!!  Although it isnt something that they could have helped as we are told.....I just have to believe that many times we are told things that are "Out of Comcasts hands" so they can just be free of the aggravation of "Making things work correctly".....!  Just my thoughts for whatever they are worth....lol

New Poster

scheduling recordings

Whereas, I've always been able to schedule recordings to my DVR from the website or app in the past, I noticed today that the record option is no longer available to me on either platform. Anyone else having this problem?

Contributor

Re: scheduling recordings

Comcast removed this functionality due to an ongoing legal issue between them and TiVo (Rovi). Hopefully it will be resolved soon.
New Poster

recording programs from iPhone or iPad

I have always been able to record upcoming programs from my iphone or ipad by accessing the TV Remote ap, going to TV listings, choosing the program I want to record and touching the red record button to record an upcoming program.  Now the red button is gone, and the only option I see is "Watch Channel".  Help!

Regular Visitor

The ironic part of this is I can delete a recording, I just cannot record a recording! ;(

Official Employee

Re: Record function on Xfinity DVR is disabled for remote devices i.e. PC

The information jmar76 provided is correct. Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Re: recording programs from iPhone or iPad

I’m experiencing the same issue.

Frequent Visitor

Stream TV iOS no longer has record option as of last few days

Suddenly in the past couple of days the Stream TV apps on my iPad and iPhone no longer have a record option. What's up with that? This is a feature I use a lot and am now sorely missing. 

On a related issue, and something I've been meaning to ask about forever, is why is the storage for my cloud recordings is half or less than half the amount I have in my DVR? I'm always running out of space in the cloud (and it seems to cut recordings short there when they are full length in my DVR) when Inhave 50% or more on the DVR.

Not feeling like a happy customer because once again things aren't working as they should (especially for the $$$ I pay each month.

New Poster

Re: Stream TV iOS no longer has record option as of last few days

II'm having the same problem!! What happened to the record optio on my streaming app for tv on my I- Pad please fix it as I COUNT ON THE ability to re od stuff from my I Pad thanks!

Service Expert

Re: Stream TV iOS no longer has record option as of last few days

Paloam wrote:

Suddenly in the past couple of days the Stream TV apps on my iPad and iPhone no longer have a record option. What's up with that? This is a feature I use a lot and am now sorely missing. 

On a related issue, and something I've been meaning to ask about forever, is why is the storage for my cloud recordings is half or less than half the amount I have in my DVR? I'm always running out of space in the cloud (and it seems to cut recordings short there when they are full length in my DVR) when Inhave 50% or more on the DVR.

Not feeling like a happy customer because once again things aren't working as they should (especially for the $$$ I pay each month.

on the related issue, please open a new message thread on the X1 forum area when you have the next problem where the recording is short. Be sure to not delete it at all (a restore from deleted won't work it seems). When you post give the show name, recording channel, date, time, episode season & number.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Regular Contributor

Can't cancel scheduled recordings from the web site

I've just discovered that in addition to not being able to set DVR recordings from the web site, I also can't cancel scheduled recordings. This is often necessary because of another flaw in the X1 system - when you have series recordings set to record only new shows, shows which are not new often show up and I need to cancel them. This whole fiasco has made the website much less useful.

Regular Visitor

Remote app record option

I am regretting updating the Remote app recently. The record option is no longer available and I've read tons of customer complaints on this site. One comment cited legal issues with the app. What is the purpose of a remote app if there are limited functions? We pay a premium price for this service and it's aggravating that features are removed without notice. 

Service Expert

Re: Remote app record option

Grumpy2011 wrote:

I am regretting updating the Remote app recently. The record option is no longer available and I've read tons of customer complaints on this site. One comment cited legal issues with the app. What is the purpose of a remote app if there are limited functions? We pay a premium price for this service and it's aggravating that features are removed without notice. 

to ensure compliance during appeal process the function was removed from the back end. the app no matter which version would not access the 'record' button feature.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Problem Solver

Re: Can't cancel scheduled recordings from the web site

swanda wrote:

I've just discovered that in addition to not being able to set DVR recordings from the web site, I also can't cancel scheduled recordings. This is often necessary because of another flaw in the X1 system - when you have series recordings set to record only new shows, shows which are not new often show up and I need to cancel them. This whole fiasco has made the website much less useful.

I agree, since the change to the streaming web site from the tvgo site that was here a couple of years ago, the only use I had for it was setting/modifying recordings. With the record function gone, the site is useless to me.

New Poster

Can’t record remotely using Xfinity Stream or Xfinity Remote

Can’t remotely record from Stream or Xfinity Remote.
Problem Solver

Re: Can’t record remotely using Xfinity Stream or Xfinity Remote

rlkahney wrote:
Can’t remotely record from Stream or Xfinity Remote.

Record function has been removed. More info here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

New Poster

Customer compensation for non record option via stream app....

So....what is Comcast going to do for all of us customers who pay for the ability to access our X1 sets remotely and can't set a recording due to a legal issue that is out of our hands? I am 2300 miles away from home for an extended period and have been using the stream app religiously. New season of one of my fave shows starts tonight and I can't set it to record. 

Hopefully I will be able to see it on demand while "away" from home.

New Poster

remote DVR

Is anyone else upset that they can no longer remotely record programs using the TV remote app?  I really enjoyed this feature, being able to record programs while away from home.  On Nov 28, tried to record a program only to find that I was not able to do so anymore.  Not only that, my scheduled recordings were gone.  I have only the programs that have already been recorded.  I called Xfinity and spent 30 minutes with a rep who was unable to explain or figure out why I can no longer remotely record programs.  She had me delete the app and reinstall it.  Didn't work.  Then she had me power off my phone and turn it back on.  Didn't work.  She finally transferred me to a tech.  After much discussion, he told me that as of noon, the ability to remotely record programs was deleted.  The rep did not know that.  The tech did not know that.  When he talked to his supervisor, that's what he was told.  No notice was sent out that I am aware of.  Just BOOM, all of a sudden I can no longer have a feature on my Xfinity app that I truly enjoyed and got a lot of use of.  I am royally upset and hope that many, many others complain about this and that Xfinity restores the ability to remotely program my DVR.

New Poster

Loss of Function with TV Remote App

There is no board for the remote app so I hope someone here can help me.

2 days ago my app lost the function of being able to set or modify recordings; it can still change channels and tell recordings to play on TV but when selecting a show the option for "record episode" and "record series" are no longer visible. Similarly when I select a "scheduled recording" there is no longer an option to modify the settings. The app is the most recent version; I have tried deleting it and reinstalling it.

The only recent change on the phone has been an update from iOS 11.1.1 to 11.1.2.

Is anyone else having this problem? 

New Poster

Re: Where is the "Record" option when using a computer's Browser?

Why is there no straight answers the RECORD OPTION HAS DISAPPEARED FROM THE xfinity stream tv app.  Where is it!!!,

New Poster

Loss of function in TV Remote App

2 days ago my app lost the function of being able to set or modify recordings; it can still change channels and tell recordings to play on TV but when selecting a show the option for "record episode" and "record series" are no longer visible. Similarly when I select a "scheduled recording" there is no longer an option to modify the settings. The app is the most recent version; I have tried deleting it and reinstalling it.

The only recent change on the phone has been an update from iOS 11.1.1 to 11.1.2.

New Poster

Thank you so much for posting an accurate answer from Comcast. Now I don't have to waste any more time trying to figure out what happened! I hope you are able to restore it because it sure comes in handy.
New Poster

appeals will take 6-10 weeks to just file & then reply, ruling could take months longer.  

New Poster

respectfully, it is more than an inconvenience, it makes your product much less desireable for people who travel.  

I switched to you guys because I travel about a week every 8 weeks for work plus vacations etc & work late so the ability to manage my DVR remotely is vital.

I am not saying thousands will leave, but I am saying that I will leave & leave with an incredibly bitter taste in my mouth because you are charging me a $240 early termination fee.  So I guess Im going back to TIVO & RCN or to a new provider because appeals take months, sometimes years.

jack aimone

ComcastJessie wrote:

All,

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

New Poster

Re: remote DVR

dafodil42 wrote:

Is anyone else upset that they can no longer remotely record programs using the TV remote app?  I really enjoyed this feature, being able to record programs while away from home.  On Nov 28, tried to record a program only to find that I was not able to do so anymore.  Not only that, my scheduled recordings were gone.  I have only the programs that have already been recorded.  I called Xfinity and spent 30 minutes with a rep who was unable to explain or figure out why I can no longer remotely record programs.  She had me delete the app and reinstall it.  Didn't work.  Then she had me power off my phone and turn it back on.  Didn't work.  She finally transferred me to a tech.  After much discussion, he told me that as of noon, the ability to remotely record programs was deleted.  The rep did not know that.  The tech did not know that.  When he talked to his supervisor, that's what he was told.  No notice was sent out that I am aware of.  Just BOOM, all of a sudden I can no longer have a feature on my Xfinity app that I truly enjoyed and got a lot of use of.  I am royally upset and hope that many, many others complain about this and that Xfinity restores the ability to remotely program my DVR.

The rep I spoke to seemed very knowledgeable & said most of the calls she had today were asking about this & upset.

However, the rep I spoke to in their cancellation department had no knowledge of the entire situation tho when I called to see how much it would cost to cancel service 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Where is the "Record" option when using a computer's Browser?

jjudette wrote:

Why is there no straight answers the RECORD OPTION HAS DISAPPEARED FROM THE xfinity stream tv app.  Where is it!!!,

There is a straight answer.  The Comcast legal team decided to artificially remove this feature to cause customer outrage that they believe will somehow help them in their ongoing legal battle with Rovi/Tivo. 

They claim they did this to comply with a legal ruling, but that simply isn't the case.  The only ruling regarding this so far has been from the ITC which has banned importation of new devices that contain this feature.  The ITC did not ban Comcast from coninuing to offer this feature to existing customers with existing devices, and in fact doesn't even have the jurisdiction to do so.

This removal is a slap in the face of Comcast customers and is intended to cause us pain so we scream loud enough that the courts will rule in their favor.  Seems like both a bad legal and market strategy to me.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Loss of function in TV Remote App

ASHarrow wrote:

Did you even read this thread that you posted in?

Frequent Visitor

nonopenono wrote:

appeals will take 6-10 weeks to just file & then reply, ruling could take months longer.  

There is no reason for Comcast to wait for any appeal.  The only ruling has been from the ITC which banned importation of devices that have features claimed to have patent protection by Rovi/Tivo.

The ITC ruling doesn't prevent Comcast from continuing to offer this feature to existing customers with existing devices, or even new customers with new devices already in this country.  This is a calculated and artificial maneuver by Comcast to cause enough user pain to in their hope validate their claims of consumer protection in the various federal court cases that haven't ruled, or even been fully tried yet.

The ITC has no jurisdiction to force Comcast to remove this feature.  Comcast chose to do this to their customers. 

New Poster

I just wasted 1 hour on the phone with support for this DVR issue and none of the telephone support reps know about this legal problem. I also wasted time deleting and reinstalled the Apps.  Everyone should have been notified via email of this problem.  But this is typical of the lousy customer service from Xfinity.

New Poster

This is not an answer, it is a lame excuse.  Also there is no excuse for why your CUSTOMERS were not notified of this issue. Very very poor customer service.

New Poster

Recording from stream app to dvr at home

Why can I no longer set something to record from my app to my dvr at home? I used to be able to do it all the time.
Problem Solver

PRGeno wrote:

ASHarrow wrote:

PRGen, this is a post from another new thread, ComcastAndrew is taking all other threads that are started and moving them to this one. So at the time of writing,  ASHarrow did no see this thread

Contributor

Re: Recording from stream app to dvr at home

Comcast removed this functionality due to an ongoing legal issue regarding patents with TiVo (Rovi) in which an ITC judge ruled in favor of Rovi. The feature is inactive while they pursue an appeal.
New Poster

TV remote app not working

Why hasn't comcast notified its customers that the TV Remote App is no longer able to record shows. I understand it was recently disabled. I spent nearly 2 hours trying to fix this problem. a simple email notification would have and is appropriate

Frequent Visitor

mvenanzi wrote:

PRGeno wrote:

ASHarrow wrote:

PRGen, this is a post from another new thread, ComcastAndrew is taking all other threads that are started and moving them to this one. So at the time of writing,  ASHarrow did no see this thread

Ahhhh, That makes sense.  I apologize for my snippy reply.  That shows how upset this issue has made me, that I'm not acting like my normal laid back online self in this forum.  

I'm most upset because the Comcast claim that the ITC ruling is the cause for all this is completely bogus.  The ITC has nothing to do with it and in fact can't legally force this action as it has no jurisdiction to do so. 

Instead this is a calculated Comcast legal decision intended to use customers anger to their legal advantage in the Federal court cases, which have jurisdiction to force this removal.  But the Federal court haven't done so yet and those cases aren't even close to doing so yet.

New Poster

Well that's not good!! I certainly hope they're working diligently to bring that option back. Until that happens I'll be deleting the app from my phone. Oh, and I hope you plan on sending notification out to your customers. It took me a good half hour searching Google to find this.
Problem Solver

PRGeno wrote:

mvenanzi wrote:

PRGeno wrote:

ASHarrow wrote:

Ahhhh, That makes sense.  I apologize for my snippy reply.  That shows how upset this issue has made me, that I'm not acting like my normal laid back online self in this forum.  

I'm most upset because the Comcast claim that the ITC ruling is the cause for all this is completely bogus.  The ITC has nothing to do with it and in fact can't legally force this action as it has no jurisdiction to do so. 

Instead this is a calculated Comcast legal decision intended to use customers anger to their legal advantage in the Federal court cases, which have jurisdiction to force this removal.  But the Federal court haven't done so yet and those cases aren't even close to doing so yet.

Comcast didn't really claim that the ITC ruling is the cause for removing the record function. Their official statement to CNBC is:

"We respectfully disagree with the ITC's decision in this matter. In fact, Rovi has never disputed that Comcast or its predecessors independently developed our X1 platform and our cloud- and app-based technology. While we believe the ITC reached the wrong decision, we will remove this feature from those offered to our subscribers while we pursue an appeal."

They may be doing it to stop furture legal action.

Source:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/22/tivo-shares-jump-on-patent-ruling-victory-over-comcast.html

Contributor

I get what you're saying, but that's kinda really playing with semantics because if not for the ITC ruling they would not have feared future legal action. So based solely on Comcast's statement taken in context, they removed the feature because of the ITC ruling and because of fear of future legal action. All ties together.
Problem Solver

jmar76 wrote:
I get what you're saying, but that's kinda really playing with semantics because if not for the ITC ruling they would not have feared future legal action. So based solely on Comcast's statement taken in context, they removed the feature because of the ITC ruling and because of fear of future legal action. All ties together.

Sure, but if comcast is actually using patented technology without paying the licence fee, then its no different than stealing. If someone was using comcast cable without paying, don't you think comcast would go after them. I kind of believe comcast is using the technology due to the past when they were using a Rovi tech after the licence agreement expired. comcast replaced the tech with another's.

Contributor

Oh yeah I totally get what you're saying and I agree. I just meant specifically regarding the fact that they didn't claim the ITC ruling was the reason they removed it, it was almost implied in the way they worded their statement. They say they disagree with the ruling and immediately follow up with saying they'll remove the features while pursuing an appeal. I agree with you the company is trying to prevent any further legal liability by doing this, just saying that I believe the way they worded their statement indicates the ITC ruling precipitated this action.
New Poster

Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful response. Yes I read the thread; I found 100% of the references were to the streaming app. There was one reference to the remote app where the problem was solved by xfinity staff adjusting a setting. Hence my question specifically relating to experience with the remote app.
Frequent Visitor

mvenanzi wrote:

jmar76 wrote:

Sure, but if comcast is actually using patented technology without paying the licence fee, then its no different than stealing. If someone was using comcast cable without paying, don't you think comcast would go after them. I kind of believe comcast is using the technology due to the past when they were using a Rovi tech after the licence agreement expired. comcast replaced the tech with another's.

Actually, that is in dispute, not a definitive legal ruling.  Comcast claims their current technology was indepenently developed, while Rovi/Tivo claims they own intellectual rights to all online TV guides and remote DVR functions regardless of if it uses any part of their code base or not.  Based upon that assumption I would expect Ford to be able to sue every other car manufacturer that makes their cars on an assembly line.

Again, the ITC does not have jurisdiction over Comcast offering this service.  That falls under Federal patent law requiring a Federal court to agree with Rovi.  The ITC isn't even a court, it's a government commission intended to manage trade imports.  In this case the ITC is probably overstepping it's charter, but all they ruled is that Comcast cannot import devices with this capability.  In theory Comcast could use a US manufacturer to build their boxes and continue not only offering the service, but deploy new non-imported boxes too.

This is without a doubt, Comcast Legal playing a legal game using their customer's pain as fodder to influence the Federal courts.  It isn't to avoid future legal action, that is already in play.  It is to help prove their Federal case point that this patent is invalid and harms consumers, hence their need to artificially cause their customers this pain.