New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can't set recordings from stream app

ANSWERED
New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

I've been a loyal customer for nearly 20 years and the handling of this issue is really dissapointing. Instead of notifying customers that this feature is being removed pending legal resolution, I have to waste 30 minutes trying to figure out why my app is no longer working and then another 30 minutes with tech support. Of course Tier 1 isn't even aware of the problem, so we waste 15 minutes unsintalling and reinstalling the app and trying different devices, only to learn from Tier 2 that "corporate" has pulled this feature indefinately for an unknown reason. Let's hope they figure this one out becuase I really don't want to have to start shopping for a new provider.

New Poster

Could you tell me why this feature was removed. It was very helpful to me because I am never able to watch shows and movies on the time they air because I have a busy life. I hardly ever watch them at home. Could you guys please bring it back? Not everything shows up on Xfinity stream the next day. I really want to be able to watch the things that do not after they air.

New Poster

I can understand why the record option was removed. But pay them the stupid licensing fee so your customer can use a key feature. You can make it contingent upon the result of the appeal. That's what I don't understand — you'd rather remove a feature from your customers and argue about a .01¢ per user licensing fee.
New Poster

RE-ACTIVATE THE ON-LINE RECORD FEATURE IMMEDIATELY!!!!

as well as the "B" button (picture in picture) functionality

New Poster

Xfinity TV remote app

why did you remove record option from Xfinity remote app?? This was most useful function for me.

I intend to check whether to change to Verizon .

New Poster

Re: I can no longer record shows remotely

Wow, it's part of my daily routine to set up my evening's DVR recordings on my break at work.  It worked yesterday and today it's just gone.  What a shame!

Frequent Visitor

We were definitely spoiled by this capability of setting a recording anywhere. That became virtually the only way we set a recording. Our DVR is not located in our main living area. If we forget to record sports for example there will be no searching on demand. We also did not receive notification either with DVR notification or through email so I wasted my time troubleshooting. 

I saw mentioned in a business article that Comcast might drop the features to give them leverage over TIVO. I am not sure how this this works but I hope it is not the case. I too wonder if there could have been a temporary solution while they go through appeals if they do not want to settle. 

Losing the B button function was annoying but if you use devices other then a  this is a much more basic and needed feature. 

New Poster

DVR not showing recording options

I'm trying to schedule a couple of recordings from the Xfinity Stream app, but when I select the program I want, there is no button to record the show. I have tried other shows and the button is there, but it isn't there on the show I'd like to record.
IMG_2838.PNG
Frequent Visitor

We aren't spoiled.  We were just using the service the way it was presented and sold to us.  Arbitrary removal of this feature is basically a breach of the contract we agreed to when we chose the X1 service.

This is unacceptable.

Regular Contributor

Official Employee

Re: DVR not showing recording options

Sorry, that function was removed

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Why was that function removed? Is there another way to schedule a recording if I'm not at home?
Official Employee

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Re: new online tv guide

ComcastDan,

I hope you are still monitoring this forum because I really appreciated your responsiveness in the past.

I just got off the phone with the XfinityStream tech support to report a problem I just noticed yesterday. Essentially, I am no longer able to program my DVR at all from the TV listings function. As recent as last Monday (Nov 20) I was able to schedule recordings through the end of the week prior to leaving for Thanksgiving vacation. When I came back yesterday to the website to schedule recordings for this week, I noticed that when I selected a TV program, the "Record" option was missing. I was no longer able to schedule ANY recordings for any program. Tech support told me that they were notified just yesterday that this function was being removed from the web app. Please tell me in what universe does this make any sense. Were things going too smoothly, or did the web design team just miss people screaming at them for their total lack of software engineering skills. As I noted in my previous posts when the new web design was first launched, this new website in spite of all the "improvements" they've made since its initial launch (thank you for that anyway), it is still a giant step backwards from the original website in regards to functionality.

Why they would remove one of the major reasons for using this website (i.e. scheduling future DVR recordings) is totally beyond me. According to tech support, they said that you could still stream live programs as if that would totally compensate for removing the recording scheduling options. That is like having a car with a manual transmission and having all the gears removed except for 1st gear, and then saying that it wasn't that bad since you could still "drive" the car (albeit very slowly).

In today's competitive arena of cable TV vs. satellite, I don't understand why Comcast would provide this kind of incentive for its current customers to "ditch the cable" and switch to satellite. Why would you deliberately take away such useful functionality???

In the software industry, there is a certification used to measure a software organization's level of maturity of its software development processes called CMMI (Compatibility Maturity Model Integration). This certification assigns maturity levels from a range of 1 (very immature) to 5 (very mature). Based on what I've seen of your website designers, I would assign them a maturity level of -5.

ComcastDan, please don't take this as any criticism towards you because I appreciate your willingness to respond to this forum. I'm just frustrated not only by the continued degradation of functionality of your website, but also the arbitrary nature and suddenness of these changes that totally don't make any sense!! Based on what I heard from tech support, it didn't appear to be a temporary change while they "fixed" something. I hope I am wrong.

Thank you for listening! 

New Poster

Online guide

Why can I select record a show when on the website?

Problem Solver

Primafacie wrote:

ComcastDan,

I hope you are still monitoring this forum because I really appreciated your responsiveness in the past.

I just got off the phone with the XfinityStream tech support to report a problem I just noticed yesterday. Essentially, I am no longer able to program my DVR at all from the TV listings function. As recent as last Monday (Nov 20) I was able to schedule recordings through the end of the week prior to leaving for Thanksgiving vacation. When I came back yesterday to the website to schedule recordings for this week, I noticed that when I selected a TV program, the "Record" option was missing. I was no longer able to schedule ANY recordings for any program. Tech support told me that they were notified just yesterday that this function was being removed from the web app. Please tell me in what universe does this make any sense. Were things going too smoothly, or did the web design team just miss people screaming at them for their total lack of software engineering skills. As I noted in my previous posts when the new web design was first launched, this new website in spite of all the "improvements" they've made since its initial launch (thank you for that anyway), it is still a giant step backwards from the original website in regards to functionality.

Why they would remove one of the major reasons for using this website (i.e. scheduling future DVR recordings) is totally beyond me. According to tech support, they said that you could still stream live programs as if that would totally compensate for removing the recording scheduling options. That is like having a car with a manual transmission and having all the gears removed except for 1st gear, and then saying that it wasn't that bad since you could still "drive" the car (albeit very slowly).

In today's competitive arena of cable TV vs. satellite, I don't understand why Comcast would provide this kind of incentive for its current customers to "ditch the cable" and switch to satellite. Why would you deliberately take away such useful functionality???

In the software industry, there is a certification used to measure a software organization's level of maturity of its software development processes called CMMI (Compatibility Maturity Model Integration). This certification assigns maturity levels from a range of 1 (very immature) to 5 (very mature). Based on what I've seen of your website designers, I would assign them a maturity level of -5.

ComcastDan, please don't take this as any criticism towards you because I appreciate your willingness to respond to this forum. I'm just frustrated not only by the continued degradation of functionality of your website, but also the arbitrary nature and suddenness of these changes that totally don't make any sense!! Based on what I heard from tech support, it didn't appear to be a temporary change while they "fixed" something. I hope I am wrong.

Thank you for listening! 

The record fuction was remooved due to lawsuit with tivo

More info here - http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

Frequent Visitor

My apologies regarding my tirade regarding the removal of the ability to schedule recordings from the XfinityStreaming app.  It stemmed largely from my earlier experiences when the new website was first launched and I mistakenly assumed it was just more of the same. Thank you for the link providing the explanation. That being said, I wish they would have provided a quick explanation.

I also think if they lose their appeal, they need to come up with a way to do the same thing.

Thanks (sorry, ComcastDan for my tirade)

New Poster

Xfinity Record Option Missing on Phone App

When will Comcast/Xfinity fix the missing 'RECORD' option from the iOS and Android phone apps? What's the point of having a phone app for Xfinity if you are not able to record shows?

New Poster

Exactly! What's the purpose of having an app if you can't record!

Contributor

Can't Record from Xfinity Remote App

Just yesterday when I login to the Xfinity Remote App the record button is gone.  All I have is "Watch on Tv".  I have iphone 7 and ipad and the button is gone on both.  I've uninstalled and installed the app.  I've also done a system refresh on the boxes.  I can use the app to change the changes on my boxes, but am unsure why the record button is gone.  Any thoughts?

Tags (3)
Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity Record Option Missing on Phone App

WatchTeeVee wrote:

When will Comcast/Xfinity fix the missing 'RECORD' option from the iOS and Android phone apps? What's the point of having a phone app for Xfinity if you are not able to record shows?

More info here - http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

Problem Solver

Re: Can't Record from Xfinity Remote App

Wendy730 wrote:

Just yesterday when I login to the Xfinity Remote App the record button is gone.  All I have is "Watch on Tv".  I have iphone 7 and ipad and the button is gone on both.  I've uninstalled and installed the app.  I've also done a system refresh on the boxes.  I can use the app to change the changes on my boxes, but am unsure why the record button is gone.  Any thoughts?

Service Expert

Sfs1991 wrote:
Why was that function removed? Is there another way to schedule a recording if I'm not at home?

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/tivo-notches-win-itc-patent-battle-comcast/416736

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tivo-comcast-patent/tivo-wins-set-top-box-patent-case-against-com...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

New Poster

The Xfinity TV Remote iOS app version history (currently on v3.7.0) has no indication that the ability to record a program using the app has been removed, and the Top Tips for Using the XFINITY TV Remote App page (https://www.xfinity.com/support/xfinity-apps/top-tips-for-cable-tv-app/) still states that the app can be used to schedule a recording. The lack of informing customers that this important functionality has been removed from the app is very frustrating.

New Poster

Stream App no longer lets me set recordings

The Xfinity stream app no longer lets me set recordings or delete scheduled recordings. Was working. Now it is not. I have a Android. Help!!

New Poster

I just spent 1.5 hours on support chat for this problem and the Comcast person did not have a clue.

Problem Solver

Re: Stream App no longer lets me set recordings

crreynolds1221 wrote:

The Xfinity stream app no longer lets me set recordings or delete scheduled recordings. Was working. Now it is not. I have a Android. Help!!

Problem Solver

Shingles32 wrote:

I just spent 1.5 hours on support chat for this problem and the Comcast person did not have a clue.

They often don't

New Poster

Re: No Record button on app

I am having the same issue. I dont see how to send that person a PM though.

Tags (1)
Problem Solver

overboosted wrote:

I am having the same issue. I dont see how to send that person a PM though.

The record function was remooved due to lawsuit with tivo

New Poster

wow

Comcast should just buy tivo, can't be worth anything anymore

Problem Solver

overboosted wrote:

wow

Comcast should just buy tivo, can't be worth anything anymore

Rovi was just bought by tivo not too long ago

New Poster

Re: set recording remotely

Is it just me or has the record tab been removed? I wanted to change a recording I had set to record 12-4-17 and couldn't do it on my laptop anymore. I tried again today and the record tab is still MIA.

New Poster

I just spoke with someone at Comcast and they said that the ability to record a program using the Xfinity Stream App has been removed.  I'm not happy about that because it is one of the features I like!

Frequent Visitor

The lawsuit is an excuse, not the reason. 

The ITC ruling appears to have simply banned the importation of devices containing the features put in question by the  Rovi/Tivo vs Comcast ITC hearings.  The ITC doesn't have the jurisdiction to prevent Comcast from continuing the feature for existing customers with existing devices.  At least until the federal courts rule otherwise in the various seperate lawsuits.

This is simply Comcast removing this service to cause outrage from it's customers so they will be able to play the consumer harm card in their various lawsuits.  As usual, we the consumers are pawns in a corporate game of negotiation chicken.  This is disgusting on all counts.

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity TV remote app

limey1, That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Can not even delete unwanted recordings. This total BS.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV remote app

Well Ken: get sombody to fix this situation. We pay enough for your service and it needs to be fixed.

New Poster

In the past, if I had to work late, and I was going to miss my favorite show, I'd log in to the TV Remote Xfinity app, go the guide/listings, find the show in the listings, and there was an option to record the show (or series) -- and then I could record the show while still at work, and then watch the recorded show when I got home.  Now they got rid of the option of setting a recording remotely, due to the legal issue (and they hope to get this option back at some point, but have no idea when).  It is sheer insanity to get rid of this function in the TV Remote Xfinity app, and from the Xfinity Stream app. 

QUESTION: To rectify this issue, I tried finding an old apk (an older version of the app) on the web, and did find one from Oct 2016 (over a year ago), installed it, and it also did not have this option, so I am guessing that they turned off the recording remote option at the X1 box, via a software update, so I am guessing an older version app/apk is not going to work either?  Does someone know if this is why the old APK doesn't work either??

New Poster

Re: can't set dvr

In the past, if I had to work late, and I was going to miss my favorite show, I'd log in to the TV Remote Xfinity app, go the guide/listings, find the show in the listings, and there was an option to record the show (or series) -- and then I could record the show while still at work, and then watch the recorded show when I got home.  Now they got rid of the option of setting a recording remotely, due to the legal issue (and they hope to get this option back at some point, but have no idea when).  It is sheer insanity to get rid of this function in the TV Remote Xfinity app, and from the Xfinity Stream app. 

QUESTION: To rectify this issue, I tried finding an old apk (an older version of the app) on the web, and did find one from Oct 2016 (over a year ago), installed it, and it also did not have this option, so I am guessing that they turned off the recording remote option at the X1 box, via a software update, so I am guessing an older version app/apk is not going to work either?  Does someone know if this is why the old APK doesn't work either??

Regular Contributor

Rwww wrote:

No way for Comcast to notify users that this “ functionality ” was going going away? Wasted quite a bit of time troubleshooting before finding this thread. Had a similar problem in the past that was resolved but sadly this time that does not appear to be the case. 

Of course there was a way for Comcast to notify users of this. They regularly send out e-mails touting their services, but apparently they don't want to send out bad news, so they force us to call support or search the forums to find out what the problem is. The arrogance of Comcast is stunning! I enjoyed programming my DVR when I was away from home, or even programming it at home on my laptop while watching programs on the TV. A big piece of useful functionality for the X1 system is now gone, and we will have to pay the same price anyway.

New Poster

Loss of that feature is a loss of a huge selling point for Comcast. Having to do everything from the box is extremely inconvenient in this mobile world. Hopefully, Comcast will present a solution quickly.
New Poster

What I don't understand, I read a little bit about this case and part of it includes the X1 box itself. If Comcast were to not allow people to set recordings from their X1 box, there would be a mass-exodous from Comcast until they settled with TiVo. They are appealing the decision and while they do, they basically have no choice but to continue providing their customers the ability to record their shows and customers who don't use any mobile or online features will never really know the difference but mobile app users will. They won't pay the patent royalties to tivo ...until the appeals process is finished. So they take away the record feature for streaming online and apps but removing the record feature on X1 box would be suicide.

If the decision is upheld, they will eventually have to or strike some kind of partnership deal with tivo or just pay the royalties. So what is the point disabling the online and app streaming service now? Why not continue providing it during the appeal process, because no matter the outcome, they will either have to pay a royalty or not and the only people who suffer in the meantime is us, the customers. What, will it save them a few pennies on royalties over a month or however long it takes? So bring back the record feature on streaming services, apps, online, etc. And whatever the appeal outcome, settle it at that time. 

Maybe one or more of the judges in the case have Comcast service and they are doing it solely to show that judge what their decision is doing to their service. ...to teach them a lesson. Meanwhile, we suffer. 

Frequent Visitor

terrijo8 wrote:
Loss of that feature is a loss of a huge selling point for Comcast. Having to do everything from the box is extremely inconvenient in this mobile world. Hopefully, Comcast will present a solution quickly.

Don't hold your breath.  This customer pain and outrage apparently was determined to be more useful by Comcast's lawyers in their federal lawsuits which is the real motivation behind the removal.   It's to Comcast's benefit to show how the consumers are being harmed by the Rovi/Tivo legal action. 

The recent ITC ruling only banned importation of new devices containing these features. The removal of this feature has nothing to do with the ITC ruling which doesn't have jurisdiction over what Comcast offers as a service to existing customers with existing devices.  That is left to the federal court cases which have a long way to go yet.

Frequent Visitor

PRGeno wrote:

The lawsuit is an excuse, not the reason. 

The ITC ruling appears to have simply banned the importation of devices containing the features put in question by the  Rovi/Tivo vs Comcast ITC hearings.  The ITC doesn't have the jurisdiction to prevent Comcast from continuing the feature for existing customers with existing devices.  At least until the federal courts rule otherwise in the various seperate lawsuits.

This is simply Comcast removing this service to cause outrage from it's customers so they will be able to play the consumer harm card in their various lawsuits.  As usual, we the consumers are pawns in a corporate game of negotiation chicken.  This is disgusting on all counts.

Unless I hear anything from Comcast the cynic in me believes this is the case. From what I see Comcast has 60 Days to rectify their patent issues. 

New Poster

dvr recording

No longer able to record a program from tv listing at xfinity using internet rather than remote

Problem Solver

Re: dvr recording

gvbmarch wrote:

No longer able to record a program from tv listing at xfinity using internet rather than remote

comcast removed record function, more info here:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

Frequent Visitor

Beerzz wrote:

What I don't understand, I read a little bit about this case and part of it includes the X1 box itself. If Comcast were to not allow people to set recordings from their X1 box, there would be a mass-exodous from Comcast until they settled with TiVo. They are appealing the decision and while they do, they basically have no choice but to continue providing their customers the ability to record their shows and customers who don't use any mobile or online features will never really know the difference but mobile app users will. They won't pay the patent royalties to tivo ...until the appeals process is finished. So they take away the record feature for streaming online and apps but removing the record feature on X1 box would be suicide.

If the decision is upheld, they will eventually have to or strike some kind of partnership deal with tivo or just pay the royalties. So what is the point disabling the online and app streaming service now? Why not continue providing it during the appeal process, because no matter the outcome, they will either have to pay a royalty or not and the only people who suffer in the meantime is us, the customers. What, will it save them a few pennies on royalties over a month or however long it takes? So bring back the record feature on streaming services, apps, online, etc. And whatever the appeal outcome, settle it at that time. 

Maybe one or more of the judges in the case have Comcast service and they are doing it solely to show that judge what their decision is doing to their service. ...to teach them a lesson. Meanwhile, we suffer. 

It does seem like just another example of when these companies battle the user is left underfoot. Fine....but give me notification and time to explore other options. 

New Poster

I checked with tech support regarding this issue. They thought it must be a problem with my device and had no idea what else could be causing it. They agreed to have "the highest level" of tech support call back the following day. Tech advised that the record feature was causing service outages so Comcast turned the feature off. He further advised that it may be fixed at some point in the future but could not say.
Thank you for the info since as usual no hand at comcast knows what any other hand is doing.
New Poster

Re: Stream App no longer lets me set recordings

So I too spend an hour on tech support for help regarding this issue.  How can the comcast technicians not even know this is the problem????  Tonight the app isn't even working at all!