Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Can't set recordings from stream app

ANSWERED
New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

I agree.Comcast is offering today's services at tomorrow's prices. I can turn my lights on, lock my doors, and answer my home phone from anywhere, but I can't set my DVR to record unless I'm at home. Please come into this century Comcast.

New Poster

The record feature on the app was one of the most useful things about it. Please resolve this!
Most Valued Poster

Re: how to set recordings on home computer

@xgrep wrote:

Just checked: both DirecTV and Dish Network still offer this feature. And people here have said that AT&T U-Verse does, too. Lots of competition. Make it work for you if you want this feature badly enough. They'd love to have your business. Just let us know before you go, so we can get an idea of how important it is.

Cox also offers this feature but Comcast and Cox don't operate in the same geography.  I want to know why none of these providers are having patent issues over this. Makes zero sense that its ONLY Comcast???

Contributor

Others have chosen to pay licensing fees. Comcast has calculated that loss of a few customers is less expensive. It’s up to you to prove them wrong.
Most Valued Poster

@xgrep wrote:
Others have chosen to pay licensing fees. Comcast has calculated that loss of a few customers is less expensive. It’s up to you to prove them wrong.

WOW...that is just so wrong for Comcast to take away such a widely used valuable feature and lose customers rather than paying the fees. They are a mega-corporation including owning NBC so it makes no sense to me that they would do this to customers and I bet they lose more than a few customers. I have never seen so many complaints on this forum about any other issue in years.

Frequent Visitor

I’m afraid part of it may be that many Comcast customers are unaware of the feature and don’t even use the app. I know it’s an extremely small sampling but none of our friends use the app, never mind the record feature, which I found startling.
Most Valued Poster

@persr4955 wrote:
I’m afraid part of it may be that many Comcast customers are unaware of the feature and don’t even use the app. I know it’s an extremely small sampling but none of our friends use the app, never mind the record feature, which I found startling.

Judging by the number of customers giving negative feedback and dismay over the removal of this feature just on the forums it sure seems like its widely used and loved.  I know that business travelers really use it.  I am sure that many more are calling to complain.  I remember Comcast touting the feature all over the place. I have only used it while on vacation as I am retired and home most of the time but boy was I glad I had the ability while being out of the country for more than 2 weeks as there were changes to programming that needed to be made more than once. I was so grateful!  

New Poster

X1 delete scheduled show when not at home

Have X1...on vacation...used to be able to delete scheduled recordings...do not see options any more.???

Service Expert

Re: X1 delete scheduled show when not at home

@cgilson53 wrote:

Have X1...on vacation...used to be able to delete scheduled recordings...do not see options any more.???

hi, I moved your post to the mega-thread on this issue. go to page one first post for Comcast explanation of why you can not do that function. You can however let the recording finish, and then play it back on your stream device, then slide the progress bar to the end and then select delete.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

WOW...that is just so wrong for Comcast to take away such a widely used valuable feature and lose customers rather than paying the fees. They are a mega-corporation including owning NBC so it makes no sense to me that they would do this to customers and I bet they lose more than a few customers. I have never seen so many complaints on this forum about any other issue in years.

Personally, I don't think that Comcast is wrong about the number of customers who would leave over this being fairly small. For one thing, if you want cable, it's almost always the case that there's no alternative in a given geographic market. Your choices would be a phone-company service, like AT&T U-Verse or Verizon FiOS, or a satellite service, like DirecTV or Dish Network. And most people won't leave because it's work to do so, even if you could find what you wanted at a good price.

New business is at extreme risk, though, and that's where unhappy current customers can apply pressure: by making as much noise as possible on social media. So have at it, folks.

Most Valued Poster

@xgrep wrote:

Personally, I don't think that Comcast is wrong about the number of customers who would leave over this being fairly small. For one thing, if you want cable, it's almost always the case that there's no alternative in a given geographic market. Your choices would be a phone-company service, like AT&T U-Verse or Verizon FiOS, or a satellite service, like DirecTV or Dish Network. And most people won't leave because it's work to do so, even if you could find what you wanted at a good price.

New business is at extreme risk, though, and that's where unhappy current customers can apply pressure: by making as much noise as possible on social media. So have at it, folks.

You make excellent points. I live in the Va suburbs of Wash DC and my only cable based options are Comcast and FIOS. There is no U Verse here and I wouldn't have a dish if you paid me. I don't live in a development and before Comcast bought our cable company we had to beg to get cable service brought to us and it took years. I have been a loyal Comcast customer for decades with Triple Play and now mobile and even though they have taken away many useful features  you are correct ......I have little choice. FIOS has a 'bait and switch' pricing policy and we would indeed have to start all over with the facilities to get it at my house so we are stuck. Comcast is very reliable here as far as service but there they just don't understand the needs of its customers  outside the basics.

Regular Visitor

Set recordings from app on ipad

What happened to the ability to schedule a recording from my iPad on the Xfinity Stream app?

Contributor

I’m in complete agreement with TerriB.  Our choices are limited.  Where I love the only choices are Comcast, FIOS and satellite.  The cable choices of what’s available are determined by the county, which gets kickbacks in the form of licensing fees from the companies.  It’s to the county’s advantage to lower it choices so they can charge higher fees.  In large cities, cable customers often have half a dozen, if not more, choices of providers.  Our kids cut the cable several,years ago and use on line services - they do pay for internet, but use ROKU and many other free services.  They pay for Netflix and Hulu - and are happy with that.  Companies like Comcast, FIOS and others have virtual monopolies in many areas, allowing them to overcharge, act arrogantly and ignore existing customers.

As to low usage of the remote programming feature, I have no idea what the truth is.  Unless Comcast releases actual numbers of usage, what we say is just conjecture.  Many users have no idea of the features available (or that were available). I have friends who consider it a major accomplishment when they are able to actually program a recording on their DVR.  Others, like myself, use (used) the remote programming feature several times a week.  Since I travel a lot, it’s a necessity, not just an occasionally used function.

Make no mistake - the decision to drop the feature was purely an economic one.  I have no idea if Comcast is actually pursuing an appeal or just blowing smoke.  And we will most likely never know.  I’m sure they are hoping that what little clamor there is will just fade away and only a very small number of customers will leave.  And, in all,probability, that’s what will happen.

Contributor

And, in all,probability, that’s what will happen.

As to low usage of the remote programming feature, I have no idea what the truth is.  Unless Comcast releases actual numbers of usage, what we say is just conjecture.  Many users have no idea of the features available (or that were available). I have friends who consider it a major accomplishment when they are able to actually program a recording on their DVR.  Others, like myself, use (used) the remote programming feature several times a week.  Since I travel a lot, it’s a necessity, not just an occasionally used function.

It was reported here a while back that Comcast claimed that it's a little-used feature. As you say, we have no actual numbers on which to base opinion or comment. However, it doesn't really matter, given what we've all agreed is the low probability that existing customers will leave over this (when you get more than one service from a single provider, you become even more captive and resistant to change).

But - forgive me for repeating myself - it's the loss of new business that could persuade them to pay TiVo's licensing fees and restore the feature. We all can increase the odds of that happening by posting liberally (and factually - with references) on social media. If/when sales don't meet projections, somebody's head rolls and the feature returns. That all assumes that Comcast's business managers operate rationally, which we have no way of knowing. They could just keep shooting their feet off, and, eventually, the competition will eat their lunch. I've seen it happen at bigger companies than Comcast (and there aren't many).

Regular Contributor

It might get even worse for Comcast X1. According to this article, Rovi, who bought Tivo, basically exists to make money off of lawsuits and licensing as their products become less relevant. They are now going after Comcast for the following: pausing and resuming programs on different devices, restarting live programs already in progress, DVR recording and search and voice functionality.

What is interesting to me is that Tivo's never had the ability to pause and resume programs on different devices. ReplayTV always had that ability. You can start a show on one networked unit and then go to another one and continue watching where you left off. With a Tivo, you don't watch the show that is stored on another unit, the show actually downloads to the second Tivo to be viewed there and then you have a copy on both Tivos. That is completely different  What I have discovered is that DirecTV bought ReplayTV assets, and Rovi bought DirecTV and sold them off. They must have kept the RTV patents. As crappy as Comcast can be, I disrespect the game that Rovi has been playing. They just buy and sue.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/14/tivo-sues-comcast-again-patent-infringement/

Service Expert

Re: Set recordings from app on ipad

@cruzenby21 wrote:

What happened to the ability to schedule a recording from my iPad on the Xfinity Stream app?

hi, I moved your post to the mega-thread on this issue. go to page one first post for Comcast explanation of why you can not do that function.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Most Valued Poster

@sbwinter2 wrote:

It might get even worse for Comcast X1. According to this article, Rovi, who bought Tivo, basically exists to make money off of lawsuits and licensing as their products become less relevant. They are now going after Comcast for the following: pausing and resuming programs on different devices, restarting live programs already in progress, DVR recording and search and voice functionality.

What is interesting to me is that Tivo's never had the ability to pause and resume programs on different devices. ReplayTV always had that ability. You can start a show on one networked unit and then go to another one and continue watching where you left off. With a Tivo, you don't watch the show that is stored on another unit, the show actually downloads to the second Tivo to be viewed there and then you have a copy on both Tivos. That is completely different  What I have discovered is that DirecTV bought ReplayTV assets, and Rovi bought DirecTV and sold them off. They must have kept the RTV patents. As crappy as Comcast can be, I disrespect the game that Rovi has been playing. They just buy and sue.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/14/tivo-sues-comcast-again-patent-infringement/

OMG.....those features you mentioned that Rovi is going after  will completely destroy what X1 is all about.  This is very disturbing news.

New Poster

Re: DVR REMOTE RECORDING

It has watch and info.  Neither of those gives me the option to record when I push on them.

Service Expert

@Paulgcarlson wrote:

How can I remotely set my DVR to record a program.  The Xfinity TV remote app does not give me the option even though the app writeup says it does.

That was removed because of a licensing issue.  We all have to use our DVR's to schedule recordings.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/comcast-subscribers-lose-ability-set-dvr-recordings-via-xfinity-remote...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

@RobertWy

That was removed because of a licensing issue.  We all have to use our DVR's to schedule recordings.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/comcast-subscribers-lose-ability-set-dvr-recordings-via-xfinity-remote...

Thanks for the link to the geekwire article. Fairly complete and accurate. Unfortunately, it didn't discuss other defendants in the suit and what they've done. Some of them have chosen to pay license fees, allowing them to continue to offer the feature. Some of those vendors will pick up Comcast customers who choose to migrate. Others will capture new business that Comcast won't get. Comcast will still get some new business - people who don't need the feature, or don't realize that Comcast doesn't offer it anymore.

Service Expert
Moved:

Your post has been removed to a secure, hidden area for violating Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with the Guidelines you may review them here. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

Service Expert
Moved:

Most Valued Poster

@Again wrote:
Your post has been removed to a secure, hidden area for violating Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with the Guidelines you may review them here. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

@ForeverNorthSta wrote:

Comcast is horrible, they don't tell you anything, your left having to figure it out. Such Weasels.  Cowards for not telling us we can no longer set programing from our phones or PC.

@Again wrote:

I don't see any language violations unless the words Weasels or Cowards  are now considered cursing? The violation in my opinion and I am certainly not alone is that customers were never told the remote recording app was going to be nixed rather than 'surprise'!!!....

New Poster

Stinks, has this been resolved?
Service Expert

@cjh54 wrote:
Stinks, has this been resolved?

nothing new since the first post's answer on the first page of this thread.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I agree. Best feature!!!
Frequent Visitor

When it happened I called and was on the phone for more than an hour with a “tech rep” trying to diagnose my inability to record from the streaming app. What a joke.
Contributor

@persr4955 wrote:
When it happened I called and was on the phone for more than an hour with a “tech rep” trying to diagnose my inability to record from the streaming app. What a joke.

Certainly. It's not a technical problem. It's a legal one. You should've called the 800 number for Comcast legal support. Google it.

New Poster

recording a show when away from home

how do I record a show when I am using streaming TV Go on my computer when away from home? Can I only schedule future or present recording when I'm at home?

Frequent Visitor

My point was that their “team” had absolutely no idea what had happened, never mind us foolish customers.
Contributor

@persr4955 wrote:
My point was that their “team” had absolutely no idea what had happened, never mind us foolish customers.

Don't worry, I totally understood you, and you're totally correct.

That said, Comcast reps are not always that bad (hint: it's not the reps that are the problem). Trouble is, you'd wish they were never that bad. But it costs money to have support processes that ensure that reps have the information they need to handle customer calls like this well. Mgmt has decided that that money is better used to enhance senior executive compensation. I'm not being facetious or sarcastic, here. That's exactly the way it works in most very large corporations. If you don't like it, you have two options: either buy lots of Comcast stock and attend shareholder meetings (that would assume that you're Warren Buffett or Jeff Bezos), or take your business to a competitor. They know that neither of these is as likely as lightning blowing the roof off Mar-o-Lago (see? there's reason to be optimistic)

New Poster

The honest answer would be that “xfinity customers no longer have access to this convenient feature because of xfinity’s poor business decisions that do not put customers first”

Contributor

@Keeppluto wrote:

The honest answer would be that “xfinity customers no longer have access to this convenient feature because of xfinity’s poor business decisions that do not put customers first”

Very well put. But if you think that there are a lot of big companies that put customers first, you've been smoking something better than what I've got. It could be argued that even Amazon has other priorities that are higher than customer satisfaction, but that would be an actual argument, not an easily supported opinion. But Comcast has a long and well-deserved reputation for sacrificing customers for executive compensation. And guess what: it's not illegal, immoral, or necessarily even a bad thing (except, of course, if you're a customer). It's just the way it is. Like I said: buy stock and attend shareholder meetings, or take your business elsewhere.

Contributor

By pure coincidence, an opinion piece in today's NYTimes discussed the power of convenience in the choices that we make. Comcast has, in general, done a very good job of improving the convenience of its offering over the years, and the ability to remotely set a recording is certainly very convenient for many customers. On the other hand, so is not having to switch to a different content provider. So, in this thread, we've been discussing those competing conveniences, and are faced with the choice of which one we want to lose. We can lose the remote programming convenience while we keep the convenience of not switching. Or we can choose to switch and get it back. Comcast has calculated (correctly, in my opinion) that most people will choose to not switch. But it's a fascinating thing to think about. Here's a link to the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/opinion/sunday/tyranny-convenience.html

It might make you decide to take the other fork in the road.

New Poster

So one one of the extremely helpful features for having Xfinity was removed, but yet me monthly bill increased?! Not cool, Xfinity.

Service Expert

@artistik01 wrote:

So one one of the extremely helpful features for having Xfinity was removed, but yet me monthly bill increased?! Not cool, Xfinity.

there is no monthly charge for using the Cloud DVR. It is a bonus feature of having a physical DVR or the Xfinity Instant TV subscription.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Program DVR from Mobile App

How come Comcast/Xfinity does not allow programming DVR from Mobile App?  I was able to do this before when I was a AT&T UVerse customer.  Seems to be a lower technology level with Comcast?

Contributor

Re: Program DVR from Mobile App

While it can be informative (and sometimes amusing) to read these postings, none of them, singularly or as a group,  is going to do anything to encourage Comcast to return this feature. It's over and that's that. Living in an area that has no other cable/internet options is what they live for. It's like watching the same issues discussed over and over on the cable news stations. Good to get the basic info, but it changes nothing. Negative thinking here? Of course.

Service Expert

Re: Program DVR from Mobile App

@hybucket wrote:

While it can be informative (and sometimes amusing) to read these postings, none of them, singularly or as a group,  is going to do anything to encourage Comcast to return this feature. It's over and that's that. Living in an area that has no other cable/internet options is what they live for. It's like watching the same issues discussed over and over on the cable news stations. Good to get the basic info, but it changes nothing. Negative thinking here? Of course.

in my news feed today .. https://www.fiercecable.com/cable/comcast-files-emergency-motion-to-expedite-tivo-verdict-appeal

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

cant line up shows to record on Xfinity Stream on laptop?

I can't seem to tell shows to record and delete shows before they record any more when I watch Xfinity on my laptop!  I have to go to the box hooked up to the TV in the house and do it from there... doesn't make sense!

Service Expert

Re: cant line up shows to record on Xfinity Stream on laptop?

@kiwigal wrote:

I can't seem to tell shows to record and delete shows before they record any more when I watch Xfinity on my laptop!  I have to go to the box hooked up to the TV in the house and do it from there... doesn't make sense!

the feature had to be temporarily removed. for details see page one of this thread and the answer to the very first post.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I am very disappointed in Comcast's choice to impact their most sophisticated customers. Through another means, I am still able to control my DVR when away from home to schedule recordings...

This certainly isn't the solution anyone wants; but I am able to schedule recordings when away from home by using a Slingbox. Slingbox allows you to see and control your DVR's output as if you were home. It is connected inline between your X1 DVR and TV. It then sends the image and control across the internet. You can control the DVR by using a "soft" remote which then sends the control signal to an IR blaster placed in front of the X1 DVR. It's not an inexpensive solution, costing between $199 and $329 depending upon features.

New Poster

Ok everyone .  Read the SOLVED reply at the very top from the original problem in Nov 2017.  IT is not a Comcast issue, but a legal patent issue.  Comcast had to remove it.  Hope yo feel better know that all your complaints about a company and this issue are *edited post*.  Everyone complained but did not look at the many posted explaining why it does not work. Another technical patent blocking leisure entertainment, all about the money.

New Poster

Not the problem.  IT is a legal problem and look at the original post and how it was solved.  Will answer all your questions.  Comcast was forced to remove it, not by choice.

New Poster

Read the ral solution.  Comcast was forced to remove due to a legal patent court decision.  Nothing to do with your opinion, anyones needs or customer not using it..  Was sloved last Nov but the lemmings still complain beasue they do not know or read.

New Poster

I don't know about reading, but they all typed better than you...  jeesh!

New Poster

Comcast tried to take tivo to court and avoid paying the licensing fee. Comcast lost and still refuses to pay tivo. As a result, comcast removed the feature from its customers and doesnt  pay a dime to tivo. It appears other providers have gone with paying tivo and keeping their customers happy. Keeping customers happy... what a crazy idea Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

@frogg3r wrote:

Comcast tried to take tivo to court and avoid paying the licensing fee. Comcast lost and still refuses to pay tivo. As a result, comcast removed the feature from its customers and doesnt  pay a dime to tivo. It appears other providers have gone with paying tivo and keeping their customers happy. Keeping customers happy... what a crazy idea Smiley Happy

I totally agree. Don't know what Comcast was paying in the way of licensing fees, but it would seem that since they now have some extra money it their corporate pocket, they owe me some  compensation for the feature they choose not to provide ! And yes, I can read ! It was Comcast's decision to not pay to license a feature for which they continue to charge me ! I don't care if we all just get a few pennies back. Taken as a whole, it's a very large sum of money that won't be going to some Comcast executive (no doubt the one involved in the decision) !

Contributor

@cybercord wrote:

Not the problem.  IT is a legal problem and look at the original post and how it was solved.  Will answer all your questions.  Comcast was forced to remove it, not by choice.

Comcast was not forced to remove it. They were forced to stop infringing on TiVo's patent without paying licensing.

Contributor

@cybercord wrote:

Read the ral solution.  Comcast was forced to remove due to a legal patent court decision.  Nothing to do with your opinion, anyones needs or customer not using it..  Was sloved last Nov but the lemmings still complain beasue they do not know or read.

Did you read that other services decided to pony up the license fee and still offer the feature. If not, well, pot-kettle-black, you know the drill.