Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Can't set recordings from stream app

ANSWERED
Contributor

Re: Can't set channel to RECORD

Given that Xfinity lost the lawsuit and pulled the feature, I'd call it patent infringement.  It could take years to appeal.  The real question ins - what are they gonna do about it for us?

Contributor

Re: Recording when away from home

"I don't believe that the network or producers have anything to do with the decision.... If so why is it when I log in to History to go app... Everything is there (i.e... All shows, all episodes, free) ? And I have to use my xfinity credentials to even get into the app... Kinda makes me wonder!"

The inability to record remotely has nothing to do with what you previouly recorded or can currently see.  We have already been denied the ability to "see" more than 60 hours of recordings we have made remotely.  As Xfinity loses it's functionality. there is less and less reareason to stay with them.

Service Expert

Garyferguson73 wrote:
I don't believe that the network or producers have anything to do with the decision.... If so why is it when I log in to History to go app... Everything is there (i.e... All shows, all episodes, free) ? And I have to use my xfinity credentials to even get into the app... Kinda makes me wonder!

when you reply and don't quote the post to which you are replying, it makes it confusing to understand your post.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Rustyben-

Who are you addressing in your post?

”when you reply and don't quote the post to which you are replying, it makes it confusing to understand your post.”

Service Expert

orfartenbuehl wrote:

Rustyben-

Who are you addressing in your post?

”when you reply and don't quote the post to which you are replying, it makes it confusing to understand your post.”

if you check the quote area it shows "Garyferguson73 wrote:" that is to whom I was replying. just as it shows that my post is in reply to your post.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

I REALLY miss the recording capability from the TV Remote app.  I understand it’s a legal issue. But please get it fixed.  It’s a major feature for me and part of the reason we switched to Xfinity from AT&T

New Poster

Okay, well at least I found out why the record button is missing from the TV Stream app.  Wouldn't it be nice if Comcast sent an email informing customers of this change and why?  I checked my Comcast email and saw nothing about this! 

Comcast you lost the lawsuit, now just pay for the patented technology so you can put the recording remotely functionality back into your app, instead of waiting on appeal after appeal to be lost or won.   

Frequent Visitor

Comcast/Xfinity: Please promise to notify subscribers when the RECORD function is restored !

OK, so the RECORD function from the app has been disabled.  Whenever it is eventually restored, will Comcast pledge to send it's subscribers an email notifying us of the restoration?  We are talking basic customer service which should have occurred when the RECORD function was first disabled. 

Service Expert
Moved:

Re: Comcast/Xfinity: Please promise to notify subscribers when the RECORD function is restored !

New Poster

record tv remotely

How can I set up a recording remotely? 

New Poster

Re: program dvr from a computer

I'm not sure if anyone answered this but no you can't just checked from desktop at work🙁
New Poster

schedule dvr recording

can i set my home dvr from my computer or ipad

Official Employee

Re: schedule dvr recording

Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. We apologize for the inconvenience, we are actively pursuing an appeal of the ruling.

If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it's available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize again for the inconvenience.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

Re: schedule dvr recording

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. We apologize for the inconvenience, we are actively pursuing an appeal of the ruling.

If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it's available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize again for the inconvenience.

And your point is?  It’s been over a month since this functionality was removed and we still don’t have an email from Xfinity explaining what is going to be done to resolve this issue.  Posting info on a board that very few subscribers know about, let alone use, is hardly the way to handle this.  

Appeals take months and can take years.  I, and hopefully hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of Xfinity customers will change providers to protest the gross incompetence of Xfinity, its management and its employees.  Yes, you are all complicit in this.  Wallow in it.

Official Employee

Hello Lucyvanpelt, the information that (Rustyben) shared is correct and I understand you wanting to watch shows on demand that are listed as paid content. We don’t determine what is listed as paid content on demand, only the networks that airs the series have the option to post for free or at a cost. If you would like to see this content free on demand please reach out to the network and request it. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

A friend with Dish can still schedule recordings and watch live. Why jdoes just comcast have this "LEGAL JUDGEMENT'?

New Poster

Not avalible on any device if you are away from your home wi-fi. 

Frequent Visitor

HBrownlee wrote:

Not avalible on any device if you are away from your home wi-fi. 

Wi-Fi network doesn’t matter.  It’s completely blocked.

New Poster

Re: Can't Record from Xfinity Remote App

I had the same problem  Called customer service and I was told some numbskull executive removed that feature. She said many people have been upset by this.  I asked for email address for corporate and they didnt have any I tried for hours to find a way to express my opinion and resentment of this and was told I could TWEET (which I dont do) orI could go on FB or I could go to this forum.  I want to tell the higher up in corporate my thoughts.  Any idea where I can get email addresses?

Most Valued Poster

gjdjeff wrote:

I had the same problem  Called customer service and I was told some numbskull executive removed that feature. She said many people have been upset by this.  I asked for email address for corporate and they didnt have any I tried for hours to find a way to express my opinion and resentment of this and was told I could TWEET (which I dont do) orI could go on FB or I could go to this forum.  I want to tell the higher up in corporate my thoughts.  Any idea where I can get email addresses?

This got me a phone call from someone who could actually help me a few months ago. Not on this subject but its a great place to start. It reaches Tom Karinshak ....exec VP of customer service.

https://support.xfinity.com/svp-contact-form

Comcast likes to refer us to  @comcastcares on Twitter so I guess they think we all use it....NOT.

If you search on Facebook for Comcast there are places to post feedback/opinions. Hope they don't remove your post as being against the rules as they tend to do when we complain and they might remove mine too for even replying to you on this subject.  I have been punished before for pushing back so be careful.

I called Cust Svc about the remote  programming feature being removed and they had ZERO idea of what I was talking about  even though I went into detail and the rep wanted to start a ticket OR send a tech to my house.  I hung up and tried again.....same result.

Contributor

There is no point in try to call or email this guy.  You can try writing him, though he will probably never see the letter.  The only thing they understand is bad publicity and dropping subscriber numbers.   Complaining and doing nothing further is a waste of time.   I’m not the person to do this, but someone with the time and knowledge could form a group of unhappy subscribers and go public to newspapers and TV.  Or, let’s all just switch providers.  I know they all are crooks, but Xfinity is getting to the the worst of the worst.

David N. Watson, CEO

One Comcast Center

Philadelphia, PA 19103

gjdjeff wrote:

New Poster

If you want the individual email addressess for Comcast executives this website has them all.  http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/comcast/

Official Employee

Re: Why can't I record tv programs using tv remote anymore? I used to be able to do tat from my i...

BoShmo wrote: Why can't I record tv programs from my iPhone using tv remote or tv streaming? I used to be able to do that.

Please view my post on this thread posted 1/4/18.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Service Expert

Comcast has already appealed the court ruling. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert
Moved:

Your post has been removed to a secure, hidden area for violating Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with the Guidelines you may review them here. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

New Poster

Totally have wasted HOURS trying to set recordings as I travel every week and pay an exuberant amount of money to Xfinity yet hardly use it.  Seriously, you just pull the plug on the best feature and do not notify anyone?  Great business ethic...NOT

Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

Comcast has already appealed the court ruling. 

Where's the brass band?  Where's the applause?  Big deal - they appealed the loss.  Could take years to resolve.  And in the meantime we are stuck without a major pice of functionality.  Stop being such an apologist for them.  It demeans you.

Regular Visitor

This should be posted on your ios app where the feature used to be located.  A lot of time wasted trying to do something that "I just know I've done this before.

New Poster

Upgrade of Xfinity Stream app = less control

Why did you remove the ability to schedule, modify recordings or cancel recordings from the Xfinity app?  Being able to do that when away from home was one of your biggest differientiators in service.

New Poster

Recording shows on my MacBook

How do I dvr (record) tv shows from my MacBook?

Thanks,

Service Expert
Moved:

Regular Visitor

set a recording

The record button is missing from the TV listings program details area. How do I set a recording on my computer, now? 

New Poster

Xfinity can stream but not record over the internet

When will the "legal' issue be resolved so we can set recordings on our X1 DVRs remotely via the remote app

And what is the issue anyway?

This is so bogus
New Poster

Re: Announcement and feedback thread : TV Go is now part of Xfinity TV Online portal

How do I set dvr from my phone???
Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity can stream but not record over the internet

The whole thing seems to be about Tivo holding the patent to recording remotely. Thing is, ReplayTV, the superior DVR that lost the battle, was doing it first, so not sure when Tivo ended up with the patent. Comcast had a relationship with Tivo for years, so everything must have been allowable during that time. Now they are no longer friends, I guess, thus, lawsuit.

Meanwhile, get a slingbox. Then you can set recordings and watch TV remotely.

New Poster

Why doesn’t comcast do this?  If the recording options weren’t taken away, we would not need on demand. Assist with something Comcast. 

New Poster

I am with you. As soon as my contract is up. I am out. Even the service reps that come to my home tell me to go to other providers. 

Most Valued Poster

sbwinter2 wrote:

The whole thing seems to be about Tivo holding the patent to recording remotely. Thing is, ReplayTV, the superior DVR that lost the battle, was doing it first, so not sure when Tivo ended up with the patent. Comcast had a relationship with Tivo for years, so everything must have been allowable during that time. Now they are no longer friends, I guess, thus, lawsuit.

Meanwhile, get a slingbox. Then you can set recordings and watch TV remotely.

===

Slingbox is an option and I bet there are others but I pay over $200 for Comcast service and darned if any of us should have to buy an extra service  to take the place of something we have have been paying Comcast for that they took away and apparently we are still going to be p aying for it. Just like the recording buffer/TIVO issue we lost.

Regular Contributor

Slingbox is an option and I bet there are others but I pay over $200 for Comcast service and darned if any of us should have to buy an extra service  to take the place of something we have have been paying Comcast for that they took away and apparently we are still going to be p aying for it. Just like the recording buffer/TIVO issue we lost.

I hear you. I also pay over $200 for Comcast. I never got their DVRs and still use my ReplayTVs, even though they are SD, because Comcast DVRs have always had too many limitations. I wont't get X1 either since it s also too limiting, like having only one favorites list and poorly designed navigation. Comcast has been taking away services that people love, regardless of court cases, for years, including watchlists, ability to make streamlined favorites lists, a usable website program guide, ability to control TV from website, etc. Unlike the other loses, I suspect remote recording will come back. They are apparently appealing, and a deal will be made. That is how patents work.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app...why does this thread show SOLVED?

This issue is nowhere close to being solved so why does it say it is? This happens all the time on the forums especially on really 'hot' issues with lots of input.

Contributor

TerriB wrote:

This issue is nowhere close to being solved so why does it say it is? This happens all the time on the forums especially on really 'hot' issues with lots of input.

Because it's a lot easier to blow smoke up an oriface that actually tell the truth and address the problem.  Plus, the Xfinity bureaucracy rivals those of the largest governments.  It's unlikely that anyone below the top managemnt knows what's really going on and has no intention of telling the huddled masses what the real situation is.

Xfinity is really no worse that the others - they all act the same way towards their customers.  The only metric that counts is how many newbies they can convince to sign up.  Cutting the cord really makes the most sense, but then we get jammed up with internet charges.

Frequent Visitor

will the phone app work?

Comcast chat says,"Comcast removed these functionalities for the foreseeable future due to a judicial ruling."
so I do not see any difference between a phone and my computer

Most Valued Poster

orfartenbuehl wrote:

TerriB wrote:

Because it's a lot easier to blow smoke up an oriface that actually tell the truth and address the problem.  Plus, the Xfinity bureaucracy rivals those of the largest governments.  It's unlikely that anyone below the top managemnt knows what's really going on and has no intention of telling the huddled masses what the real situation is.

Xfinity is really no worse that the others - they all act the same way towards their customers.  The only metric that counts is how many newbies they can convince to sign up.  Cutting the cord really makes the most sense, but then we get jammed up with internet charges.

As our provider for decades we have found Comcast to have excellent services and reliability IF they would just leave the features they provide ALONE. This patent stuff is hooey in my book.

Service Expert

Whyme11 wrote:

Why doesn’t comcast do this?  If the recording options weren’t taken away, we would not need on demand. Assist with something Comcast. 

see the first page of this thread, the first post, and the best answer appears there.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Melis83182 wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice if Comcast sent an email informing customers of this change and why? 

Xfinity claims to have sent an email, but I have all my Xfinity emails and have found nothing on this subject.

They need to either compensate their customers for this downgrade in functionality, a feature that they've promoted repeatedly.

-jim

Contributor

Good luck with that. There was no email. There was no public notification. There is absolutely no notification of this issue on any Xfinity top page site. The services page shows everything is up and running properly. There might be something buried 10 levels down, but who would ever find it. Like some commercial says, This is HUGE! But the only place there is any mention of it is on this blog. Which about .0001% of subscribers eve look at. Like I said before, they like to blow smoke up a hidden oriface and hope no one notices.
Frequent Visitor

The reason why we cannot record has been "Solved"... It is because Comcast lost a law suit with Tivo and had to pull the recording capability. For one, I'm glad it said "Solved" in the subject because that quickly pulled me to this forum which had the correct answer rather than surfing around for the real answer.

"Solving" getting it back is a totally different problem. As I see it, Comcast has 2 options... 1) Win an appeal and reinstate the capability or 2) Develop a totally different approach to remote recording which doesn't infringe on the Tivo patent. I fear that either of these approaches could take years... Bummer!!!

Regards, SLY
Contributor

slydoggie wrote:

The reason why we cannot record has been "Solved"... It is because Comcast lost a law suit with Tivo and had to pull the recording capability. For one, I'm glad it said "Solved" in the subject because that quickly pulled me to this forum which had the correct answer rather than surfing around for the real answer.

"Solving" getting it back is a totally different problem. As I see it, Comcast has 2 options... 1) Win an appeal and reinstate the capability or 2) Develop a totally different approach to remote recording which doesn't infringe on the Tivo patent. I fear that either of these approaches could take years... Bummer!!!

I agree.  The answer to the question of what happened is solved.  There is, however, absolutely no useful informaton on how the problem of being unable to set recordings remotely will be "solved."  Without that information, in a timely manner, I am 100% certain that I will swith to another provider.  Maybe the new one will be just as disengenious and current customer unfriendly as Xfinity, but sometimes you need to show your dissatisfaction by leaving.  I have made several calls to Xfinity at various levels and most CSRs don't have a clue as to what I'm taking about.  Those who do give me the lost lawsuit answer.  Not one can tell me what Xfinity will do if or when the appeal drags out, if they will settle or if they can find a work around.  It's like SGT Schultz on Hogan's Heroes - "I know nothing."  It really would be helpful if a public annouincement of the issue and when a solution will be found is forthcoming.  But that's way too much to expect from this company.

New Poster

Record a tv program from my iPad and Android phone

How come I am unable to record a TV program from my iPad or my android phone?  I used to be able to.

Valued Contributor

Re: Record a tv program from my iPad and Android phone

Rbosler wrote:

How come I am unable to record a TV program from my iPad or my android phone?  I used to be able to.

TiVO lawsuit against Comcast.