Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Bridge Mode required for Stream app to work?

New Poster

Bridge Mode required for Stream app to work?

Does anyone know if the stream app require that the Cable Modem have bridge mode disabled now following the most recent update? 

Background:

2 nights ago an update was pushed to my modem that enabled the wifi. After calling support, they performed a factory reset on my router. Here's where it gets odd, if I disable the wifi and run with bridge mode disabled on the cable modem, the Stream app properly recognizes I'm on the home network and I'm able to stream without issue however when I attempt to go back to my original configuration with bridge mode enabled as I have another router that handles the routing, the stream app does not recognize that I'm on the home network. This configuration was working for 2 years prior to the update.

The only way I have found to get the stream app to recognize me on the home network is to keep bridge mode enabled. 

Expert

Re: Bridge Mode required for Stream app to work?

soxfan0713 wrote:

Does anyone know if the stream app require that the Cable Modem have bridge mode disabled now following the most recent update? 

Background:

2 nights ago an update was pushed to my modem that enabled the wifi. After calling support, they performed a factory reset on my router. Here's where it gets odd, if I disable the wifi and run with bridge mode disabled on the cable modem, the Stream app properly recognizes I'm on the home network and I'm able to stream without issue however when I attempt to go back to my original configuration with bridge mode enabled as I have another router that handles the routing, the stream app does not recognize that I'm on the home network. This configuration was working for 2 years prior to the update.

The only way I have found to get the stream app to recognize me on the home network is to keep bridge mode enabled. 

this is more a network question than stream app question. 

When a gateway is in bridge mode it means that the gateway's wifi and switch is off and that function is performed by the customer's router (wifi and ethernet). If you have your own router with wifi then the gateway would need to be in bridge mode. To be 'in home' the device (modem) and its wifi must be active in your 'outlet' list that is assigned to your account. When changes happen as you describe, it is possible that the various databases are a bit behind in doing the updates. Do you have access to a smart device? If so, please run the xfinity My Account app and change to the internet tab and verify that the modem's serial number matches the serial number of your actual modem.

New Poster

Re: Bridge Mode required for Stream app to work?

Thanks for the reply. Yes I suspect it's something similar to what you described. Just to clarify my original post, the only way I can get the stream app to recognize that I'm in "home network" is by keeping the bridge mode disabled on the cable modem. I agree that there appears to be a disconnect when bridge mode is enabled on the cable modem and how it knows what my network setup is on my router. I will need to test this out again and check the modem's serial number matches.