Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Available to Watch in home only/Customer Owned Cable Modem

Regular Visitor

Available to Watch in home only/Customer Owned Cable Modem

I have never been able to watch live content with the app.  I own my own cable modem instead of renting the one from Comcast.  It seems that, because of this, Comcast cannot tell that I am "on my home WIFI" so all live programs have the "Watch" option grayed out.  My wireless router is seperate from the cable modem.

Is there any way to "register" my home WIFI SSID with Comcast so I can actually use this feature? Obviously, my cable modem's MAC address is registered on Comcast's network (or I wouldn't have Internet access at all).  I can watch live TV on the rest of the (ethernet connected) computers in the house...just not with the app on wireless.

Sorry, but if the answer is, "No, in order to do that, you have to rent our modem" then it simply isn't worth it to me.  But if that is the case, you may want to add a disclaimer to the app noting that live TV isn't possible when using customer owned modems.

Service Expert

Re: Available to Watch in home only/Customer Owned Cable Modem

jsbcomputers wrote:

I have never been able to watch live content with the app.  I own my own cable modem instead of renting the one from Comcast.  It seems that, because of this, Comcast cannot tell that I am "on my home WIFI" so all live programs have the "Watch" option grayed out.  My wireless router is seperate from the cable modem.

Is there any way to "register" my home WIFI SSID with Comcast so I can actually use this feature? Obviously, my cable modem's MAC address is registered on Comcast's network (or I wouldn't have Internet access at all).  I can watch live TV on the rest of the (ethernet connected) computers in the house...just not with the app on wireless.

Sorry, but if the answer is, "No, in order to do that, you have to rent our modem" then it simply isn't worth it to me.  But if that is the case, you may want to add a disclaimer to the app noting that live TV isn't possible when using customer owned modems.

hi, another customer here. I too own my own modem and streaming in home works fine. Call 800-Comcast, select billing and ask the agent to verify that your internet is assigned to an 'outlet' in your home. Once that is completed your streaming should be good to go. Also, have the representative verify that you have the cloud DVR rate code turned on, too.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

jsbcomputers wrote:

hi, another customer here. I too own my own modem and streaming in home works fine. Call 800-Comcast, select billing and ask the agent to verify that your internet is assigned to an 'outlet' in your home. Once that is completed your streaming should be good to go. Also, have the representative verify that you have the cloud DVR rate code turned on, too.

How is calling Comcast billing going to help the OP? OP already confirmed they can watch Live TV through the Xfinity TV portal using "ethernet connected" computers. That tells me that Comcast should have their MAC id.

The problem sounds like a configuration setting on their router, i.e. firewall rule for wireless, DNS setting, etc. My suggestion to the OP is to make a backup of their current router settings, then perform a factory reset of the router, and test if the app can now watch Live TV. Then they can restore the router with their backup, and look for settings that might be affecting the app.

EDIT: OP should check if they can view Live TV through the Xfinity TV portal on a computer that is connected wirelessly. That will prove it is a router issue, and eliminate an app problem.

Regular Visitor

Hi,

Can you further explain to me the part about  asking "the agent to verify that your internet is assigned to an 'outlet' in your home?" They don't seem to know what I'm talking about. 

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation