Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Authorization failure in ESPN and other third-party apps

Frequent Visitor

Authorization failure in ESPN and other third-party apps

I am a recent Comcast subscriber. When I try to watch video in the iPhone ESPN app, it asks me to sign in with my TV provider. I select Comcast XFINITY and get a message saying that I'm automatically signed in (I presume because I am on my home network). But then a dialog box pops up saying "Unable to play video. Authorization failed. If you are receiving this in error, please log out from your provider and try again."

I have tried logging out and back in multiple times. I also tried downloading a few other TV apps -- Disney Channel, FX -- and got similar messages.

I initiated a chat with a Comcast rep, who didn't really seem to understand the problem. She confirmed that ESPN is in my channel lineup and suggested that I watch through the XFINITY Stream app. That app is great (and works fine) but there's lot of content in the ESPN app that is not on the main channels. And I'd like to be able to use other third-party apps.

I'm guessing that there is a setting in my account that needs to be flipped to give me access to these apps. Can anyone help, or suggest the right vocabulary to use with a rep?

Thanks,

Ben

IMG_2626.PNG
Service Expert

Re: Authorization failure in ESPN and other third-party apps

ben428 wrote:

I am a recent Comcast subscriber. When I try to watch video in the iPhone ESPN app, it asks me to sign in with my TV provider. I select Comcast XFINITY and get a message saying that I'm automatically signed in (I presume because I am on my home network). But then a dialog box pops up saying "Unable to play video. Authorization failed. If you are receiving this in error, please log out from your provider and try again."

I have tried logging out and back in multiple times. I also tried downloading a few other TV apps -- Disney Channel, FX -- and got similar messages.

I initiated a chat with a Comcast rep, who didn't really seem to understand the problem. She confirmed that ESPN is in my channel lineup and suggested that I watch through the XFINITY Stream app. That app is great (and works fine) but there's lot of content in the ESPN app that is not on the main channels. And I'd like to be able to use other third-party apps.

I'm guessing that there is a setting in my account that needs to be flipped to give me access to these apps. Can anyone help, or suggest the right vocabulary to use with a rep?

Thanks,

Ben

two questions.. was your device casting in any way to a TV? and second if not casting, or connected to a TV is have you contacted ESPN support?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for responding. No, I'm not casting or connected to a TV.

I haven't contacted ESPN but I'm pretty sure this is a Comcast-specific issue, since it happens in other apps as well. Also, I logged in with my old provider's credentials and it worked fine.
New Poster

it appears no third party service is working....I just tried my HBOGO....and called customer service...+5 min wait...at 12am (CST)......im gonna go out on a limb and say they have a service outage or a maintenance thing going affect the third party authroization

Frequent Visitor

Thanks. Can anyone else confirm that they can or can't log in and watch video in third-party apps?

My service was turned on last Thursday and it hasn't worked for me since.

Service Expert

ben428 wrote:

Thanks. Can anyone else confirm that they can or can't log in and watch video in third-party apps?

My service was turned on last Thursday and it hasn't worked for me since.

I checked by downloading HBOGo on my backup samsung android and after entering my Xfinity username/pass it gave me full access. Do you have a rooted modified phone/tablet? if so, many secuirty locked videos won't play anymore (part of the demands of motion picture association).

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I have been receiving the same error for the last week and a half when previously it worked just fine. I believe it might have something to do with setting up a new account because we just switched holders of our account and got all new boxes and it previously worked just fine. Now all third party apps are not working for me.
New Poster

NBC Sports for example. I have reinstalled and installed all apps multiple times. I've also talked to xfinity on chat twice but to no avail. They're saying it's an app issue which it cannot be. I hate to say it but this would be a lot easier if the xfinity stream app had chromecast support Smiley Happy
IMG_3715.PNG
New Poster

I'm having the exact same issue. I also just switched to xfinity about 2 weeks ago. I have called twice and went to the store once. No one has been able to help, but it clearly seems to be an issue with new accounts. One thing I got out of the reps was that the third party apps (not xfinity tv stream) are part of their 'tv everywhere' services. Any progress in finding a solution anyone?
New Poster

Nothing yet, nobody from Comcast has posted anything which is unfathomable to me since I am paying for services and not being able to utilize them.
New Poster

Watch ESPN- redownloaded today.
IMG_3740.PNG
New Poster

History Channel- redownloaded today
IMG_3741.PNG
Service Expert

your comcast subscription does not claim to give access to 3rd party apps/websites although many do allow access to their sites.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I'm confused though as it has worked for over two years in the past and now it does not after setting up a new Account
Service Expert

Are you saying you moved your service from one account to another, or do you mean a second account at the same residence?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Same house, different unit number, new Account. Last account was cancelled.
Service Expert

Stuskowski1 wrote:
Same house, different unit number, new Account. Last account was cancelled.

Sounds like the new account isn't set up correctly.  You can either call Customer Support or go to an Xfinity Store for help.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Update from the original poster:

I've had a series of exchanges with Comcast support over Twitter and also spoke to someone on the phone. They said that this is a known issue affecting some accounts (but not all) and they are working on it.

New Poster

Thank the lord
New Poster

I had the same issue with my Xfinity account. All the 3rd party apps had the authorization failure. Did you guys have a solution yet? Thank you!

Frequent Visitor

Still waiting on Comcast. 

Frequent Visitor

Hi friends,

I clicked on video in the ESPN app on my iPad this morning and it worked! I had to log out and log back in on my phone, but then it worked there too. I can also watch ESPN in a browser on my Mac. I tried a few other networks (Disney, TNT, AMC) and they all seemed to work too.

Is it fixed for others?

Ben

New Poster

It seems to now be working for me as well