Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Apple Airplay and Streaming App

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 17

I am signing up for Comcast service and was told today at the Comcast store that if I use the streaming app on my Ipad, I can 'mirror' to the TV in my RV while camping if I have one of those Apple Airplay devices connected to the TV (wifi coming from tethered phone).  Is that true?  I was having a hard time finding info on the internet about this.  Goal is to be able to watch the news on the TV rather than my husband and I huddled around the Ipad screen like we do now with the Dish Network app.

16 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 17

babs75 wrote:

I am signing up for Comcast service and was told today at the Comcast store that if I use the streaming app on my Ipad, I can 'mirror' to the TV in my RV while camping if I have one of those Apple Airplay devices connected to the TV (wifi coming from tethered phone).  Is that true?  I was having a hard time finding info on the internet about this.  Goal is to be able to watch the news on the TV rather than my husband and I huddled around the Ipad screen like we do now with the Dish Network app.

No, that is not accurate and I'm sorry you were given bad information. The XFINITY Stream app (iOS/Android) does not allow AirPlay or mirroring to TVs due to rights restrictions from some of the networks.

Can you let me know which Comcast store you heard this from so I can ensure the representatives there get the proper information?

Thanks,
ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
New Poster

Message 3 of 17

Comcast store in Hillsboro, Oregon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 4 of 17

babs75 wrote:

Comcast store in Hillsboro, Oregon

Thank you 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 5 of 17

Any plans to release a native app for the Apple TV? (Similar to the one for Roku?)

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 6 of 17

BockBock wrote:

Any plans to release a native app for the Apple TV? (Similar to the one for Roku?)

We haven't announced any plans for an Apple TV version of XFINITY Stream at this time.

-ComcastDan

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 7 of 17

To Comcast Dan- I got the same information from Comcast call center support, it is some what complex request and their drive is to keep customers so saying yes is the easy out, training needs to be done! Right now I am VERY disappointed in that I can't mirror Streem TV to a TV in a vacation home I own. I pay for a Xfin Premier account in MN, have a vacation home in CO  with Xfin internet only and was told I could mirror to the TV in the CO property- I have Xfin accounts in both locations and still can't mirror to a TV 😡. If I would have known this I would have gone with sling TV... 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 8 of 17

TJJK wrote:

To Comcast Dan- I got the same information from Comcast call center support, it is some what complex request and their drive is to keep customers so saying yes is the easy out, training needs to be done! Right now I am VERY disappointed in that I can't mirror Streem TV to a TV in a vacation home I own. I pay for a Xfin Premier account in MN, have a vacation home in CO  with Xfin internet only and was told I could mirror to the TV in the CO property- I have Xfin accounts in both locations and still can't mirror to a TV 😡. If I would have known this I would have gone with sling TV... 

Thanks for letting me know. I've shared with the retail team with a suggestion for better training. 

Technically, per our terms of service and programmer licensing, you are supposed to subscribe to XFINITY TV service in each home separately. We offer seasonal packages for this purpose if you are interested.

-ComcastDan

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 9 of 17

I currently have 8 cable boxes in my house but want to be able to see xfinity shows in my RV while traveling.  I know I can see it on my iphone, ipad, computr, etc, but those screens are all just too small.  There has to be some provision to make this happen.  Whats the good news?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 10 of 17

chief wrote:

I currently have 8 cable boxes in my house but want to be able to see xfinity shows in my RV while traveling.  I know I can see it on my iphone, ipad, computr, etc, but those screens are all just too small.  There has to be some provision to make this happen.  Whats the good news?

If you use a laptop and the web site, you can connect the laptop to the tv and watch. Its only cell phones and tablets that have the restriction.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 11 of 17
Comcast is so ridiculous. They should let you stream on tv .. we pay a ridiculous amount for cable. I just tried to watch starz app to watch and it's telling me I have to pay meanwhile I pay through Comcast but Comcast isn't an option for a cable company anymore ??? A few months ago I was able to wTch while on vacation . These are the reasons why people are cutting cable cords
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 12 of 17

Jfdee75 wrote:
Comcast is so ridiculous. They should let you stream on tv .. we pay a ridiculous amount for cable. I just tried to watch starz app to watch and it's telling me I have to pay meanwhile I pay through Comcast but Comcast isn't an option for a cable company anymore ??? A few months ago I was able to wTch while on vacation . These are the reasons why people are cutting cable cords

Comcast has to negotiate with the content providers.  If the content providers tell Comcast that Comcast can't stream their content, then Comcast has to agree.

Netflix might be one example; Comcast now has an agreement with Netlix to stream their content.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 13 of 17

But.... DirectTV and DISH allow streaming to external devices (mirroring)? So you can't tell me that the content providers tell Comcast they cant stream their content.  The decision is ultimatley up to Comcast, they just want their customers to purchase more cable boxes, and charge the fee.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 14 of 17

RockChalk_2017 wrote:

But.... DirectTV and DISH allow streaming to external devices (mirroring)? So you can't tell me that the content providers tell Comcast they cant stream their content.  The decision is ultimatley up to Comcast, they just want their customers to purchase more cable boxes, and charge the fee.

Or DirectTV and DISH paided more to providers to allow it. . .

Posted by
New Poster

Message 15 of 17

I am also very frustrated by Comcast's blocking of streaming from App to Apple TV. Have full blown Comcast package at home, and lesser package at vacation home. Can't stream DVR'd shows from home to vacation home using App. I do have an iMac desktop at the vacation home, and my work around is to pull up my home account via the desktop on a browser, and airplay from the iMac to Apple TV. Not best solution but it works . . .

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 16 of 17

jackieboy_98 wrote:

I am also very frustrated by Comcast's blocking of streaming from App to Apple TV. Have full blown Comcast package at home, and lesser package at vacation home. Can't stream DVR'd shows from home to vacation home using App. I do have an iMac desktop at the vacation home, and my work around is to pull up my home account via the desktop on a browser, and airplay from the iMac to Apple TV. Not best solution but it works . . .

My guess is that it is a matter of money; either Comcast has to pay Apple or Apple has to pay Comcast.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 17 of 17
BS... COMCAST is trying to protect their base of installed equipment. If PlayStation VUE, DirectTV NOW, HULU TV, YOUTUBE TV, etc can have their APP work on all kinds of devices makes me believe COMCAST is lying.