Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

App has truncated DVR recordings and wrong utilization readings

Frequent Visitor

App has truncated DVR recordings and wrong utilization readings

This issue has been plaguing me for about 2 months, thought I'd finally post. 

Have had a X1 setup for 3.5 years at my current home. One DVR and two remote boxes. Often use the TV App on my iPhone and iPad to schedule new recordings and watch recordings. About a month or two ago I noticed the following two problems:

- % used on the app is always ~20% higher than the DVR. App right now shows 96% full while the DVR (and remote boxes) all show 74% full. 

- That annoyance is small compared to the main issue which is shows are recorded fine on the DVR  but the app only shows a small piece of it. Right now last night's episode of the Walking Dead shows as 13 minutes long both on my iPad and iPhone. If I use the DVR or the remote boxes, the episode is there in full. This has happened multiple times over the past few weeks. 

I logged out out and back in. I deleted and reinstalled the app. I rebooted the DVR. Still the same issues. Any suggestions?

Official Employee

Re: App has truncated DVR recordings and wrong utilization readings

MiddKid99 wrote:

This issue has been plaguing me for about 2 months, thought I'd finally post. 

Have had a X1 setup for 3.5 years at my current home. One DVR and two remote boxes. Often use the TV App on my iPhone and iPad to schedule new recordings and watch recordings. About a month or two ago I noticed the following two problems:

- % used on the app is always ~20% higher than the DVR. App right now shows 96% full while the DVR (and remote boxes) all show 74% full. 

- That annoyance is small compared to the main issue which is shows are recorded fine on the DVR  but the app only shows a small piece of it. Right now last night's episode of the Walking Dead shows as 13 minutes long both on my iPad and iPhone. If I use the DVR or the remote boxes, the episode is there in full. This has happened multiple times over the past few weeks. 

I logged out out and back in. I deleted and reinstalled the app. I rebooted the DVR. Still the same issues. Any suggestions?

Sorry about the truncated shows. The Cloud DVR is entirely separate from your physical DVR - shows are recorded in both places. It sounds like you've had a few failed Cloud recordings which can happen from time to time (it is all fairly new technology and quite amazing it works as often as it does!).

When the physical DVR has a failed recording, we fall back to the Cloud recording for playback on your TV. If that is missing or corrupt, we fall back to the On Demand version. Unfortunately, there's no way to get the content from your physical DVR to the cloud so you'll see more issues on your mobile device. 

As for the percentage full concern, Cloud DVR allows you to store 60 hours where the physical DVR has 500GB which will vary in how many hours that can hold based on HD/SD and compression. To record new shows, we'll delete the oldest shows that are not marked as "Save for 1 year". You can learn more at the following link:

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

Hope this helps clear up the confusion and thanks for being a loyal customer with X1 for over 3 1/2 years!

-ComcastDan

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation