Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Anyone able to get DirecTV Now to work on Xfinity's network

New Poster

Anyone able to get DirecTV Now to work on Xfinity's network

All:

I tried Directv now and have poor streaming results.  The poor results I think are related to a bandwidth constraint upstream of me and am wondering if DirecTV bandwidth has been limited by comcast.

I ran a test 10/14 from 8 AM to midnight.  From 8-12 it ran fine.  From 12-9 it had issues ranging from errors loading a stream, to blockiness, stuttering and freezing.  After 9 it recovered and worked acceptably.  Watching the data stream, it comes in short bursts of about 30 mbit/sec while working normally.  When not working I see peaks of less than 1 mbit/sec.

I consider this to be a comcast network issue vs a client issue - as a part of my test, when I was getting degraded performance I added an amazon video stream AND an AMC video stream on the same client - Amazon and AMC worked just fine while Directv struggled.

Calls to comcast and chat with Directv were pointless - who mans those phones OMG!  Hoping I can get a more coherent discussion here.

Service Expert

Re: Anyone able to get DirecTV Now to work on Xfinity's network

bobby999999 wrote:

All:

I tried Directv now and have poor streaming results.  The poor results I think are related to a bandwidth constraint upstream of me and am wondering if DirecTV bandwidth has been limited by comcast.

I ran a test 10/14 from 8 AM to midnight.  From 8-12 it ran fine.  From 12-9 it had issues ranging from errors loading a stream, to blockiness, stuttering and freezing.  After 9 it recovered and worked acceptably.  Watching the data stream, it comes in short bursts of about 30 mbit/sec while working normally.  When not working I see peaks of less than 1 mbit/sec.

I consider this to be a comcast network issue vs a client issue - as a part of my test, when I was getting degraded performance I added an amazon video stream AND an AMC video stream on the same client - Amazon and AMC worked just fine while Directv struggled.

Calls to comcast and chat with Directv were pointless - who mans those phones OMG!  Hoping I can get a more coherent discussion here.

with what device and wired or wireless internet are you experiencing the problem? Are you able to tether to your Cell phone data to try a different internet provider at the moment that you are having problem accessing DirecTV via Comcast (to compare)?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I have to reject any discussion of my client as an issue - while directv is struggling, amc AND amazon stream fine at the same time on that same client.  To me that limits the problem either to some directv software or network congestion upstream of me.

I have hardwired 1gbit network to my pc running chrome for this test - the pc is a pretty high end 7700k cpu

Service Expert

bobby999999 wrote:

I have to reject any discussion of my client as an issue - while directv is struggling, amc AND amazon stream fine at the same time on that same client.  To me that limits the problem either to some directv software or network congestion upstream of me.

I have hardwired 1gbit network to my pc running chrome for this test - the pc is a pretty high end 7700k cpu

the DirecTV server farm serving your area may be getting bogged down (purpose of the suggested test). My son has the DirectTV with no dish service and it has issues sometimes.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

good suggestion thanks - will test with verizon cellular - may not keep up with the 30 mbit peak, but the average 4mbit/sec ought to be doable

Service Expert

bobby999999 wrote:

good suggestion thanks - will test with verizon cellular - may not keep up with the 30 mbit peak, but the average 4mbit/sec ought to be doable

do you happen to know the mpeg-* encoding of their stream? I was thjinking that the buffer would allow the higher bits needed for fast motion/change. off topic a bit but is good info for any future questions.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

i'm considering dropping my separate directv (with satalite dish) account and bundling it with my xfinity account. Has anyone gotten good results from this?

Service Expert

cb1945 wrote:

i'm considering dropping my separate directv (with satalite dish) account and bundling it with my xfinity account. Has anyone gotten good results from this?

you can do the free trial there using your Xfinity internet but remember that all the data used counts toward  your Xfinity internet Cap of 1TB (if it applies to your account).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I'm seeing *exactly* the same issues.

Using my hotspot from my cellphone at the same time, it works. This does suggest that Comcast is limiting the connection speed of direct TV Now.

It would be nice if comcast address this issue.

Service Expert

ttlx wrote:

I'm seeing *exactly* the same issues.

Using my hotspot from my cellphone at the same time, it works. This does suggest that Comcast is limiting the connection speed of direct TV Now.

It would be nice if comcast address this issue.

my son was here a couple of weeks ago for new year's day and it worked fine for him. Do you have more than the performance internet?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Just finished talking with Xfinity.   We have internet speed of 100mbs so Directv Now should be working just fine..  This Xfinity agent told me it wasn't Comcast that was the problem; it had to be the Directv Now app.  Even though I can watch the modem shutting down and I talked with Xfinity the other day and it did shut down as I was talking to him, today I was told they haven't seen it powerdown so they can't help me.  I was told to get a different modem or pay for a service call.    Hmm, all my other apps {Roku, Netflix etc} work except Directv Now.   I guess Xfinity doesn't want you to watch Directv Now but I am no longer keeping Comcast internet anyway..  Hopefully, CenturyLink will work.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation