members

online now

discussions

Android "Stream TV" app and 4:3 formats

Contributor

Android "Stream TV" app and 4:3 formats

On Android, "TV Go" app works fine.  But the "Stream TV" app is flaky.  Yes,
there are two apps.

If I want watch 209 (MeTV) on the live "TV" app, it gives me 1:1 (square)
instead of 4:3 (rectangular) !!!  Everything is squeezed. Same thing for 208 (AntennaTV), etc.

These are 4:3 format stations, not 1:1 format.  Please fix ASAP!

I'm running Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.5:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-10-5-Inch-Tablet-Titanium/dp/B00KHA5G6G

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/tablets/galaxy-tab-s/SM-T800NZWABTU

Official Employee

Re: Android "Stream TV" app and 4:3 formats

rickrich wrote:

there are two apps.

instead of 4:3 (rectangular) !!!  Everything is squeezed. Same thing for 208 (AntennaTV), etc.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/tablets/galaxy-tab-s/SM-T800NZWABTU

Can you explain what you mean by the "TV Go" app works fine? That app was decommissioned months ago and shouldn't be functional at all.  The "TV Go" content is available via the XFINITY Stream app by enabling the "Available out of home" filter.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Contributor

MeTV, Wagon Train, 1:1 on Stream TV...

Service Expert

rickrich wrote:

there are two apps.

the android stream (TV) app does not use the AFD metadata stream to properly display AFD formatted Television programs/channels. The result is what you see. an ipad/iphone and desk/laptop will properly display the stream. It was reported months ago but the android app still is not AFD metadata stream 'aware'.  

I note that TVland is already AFD but comcast doesn't distribute the stream with the AFD signal active causing many TVland programs to be postage stamped (curtains on all sizes).

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Contributor

3/31/17. Updated to 4.1.0.017 on android.  Still the same thing, 1:1 instead of 4:3.

Contributor

5/03/17. Updated to 4.1.0.023 on android.  Still the same thing, 1:1 instead of 4:3.

Service Expert

rickrich wrote:

5/03/17. Updated to 4.1.0.023 on android.  Still the same thing, 1:1 instead of 4:3.

What you are seeing is an artifact of a channel in AFD format not being processed as such. The AFD format is a 'text' instruction stream to the client (our android device) stating to expand picture horizontally to 14:9 or 12:9) Comcast told me last year they were looking into it. Note that iOS devices and X1 handle the AFD if it is a local channel. So far that I can tell, no cable channel in AFD (like TV land) is presented in AFD format. That is to say that only locally broadcast channels in AFD are shown in wide screen format by X1 set top boxes and iOS stream app.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

The problem has persisted for many months, clearly Comcast doesn't care enough to address it in a timely manner. No surprise, really. It's Comcast. Maybe a future app update will finally fix it? I've given up any hope of that happening. I simply don't watch those channels via the app anymore as it's really annoying to be constantly reminded by a squished picture that this is what I am paying $150/month for. 

Service Expert

Imreallymad wrote:

The problem has persisted for many months, clearly Comcast doesn't care enough to address it in a timely manner. No surprise, really. It's Comcast. Maybe a future app update will finally fix it? I've given up any hope of that happening. I simply don't watch those channels via the app anymore as it's really annoying to be constantly reminded by a squished picture that this is what I am paying $150/month for. 

it is working on all but android devices, and may well be an issue wiht the android OS not the app. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I wholeheartedly agree! It's been over 6 months since last raising this issue and Comcast still can't solve the problem, so clearly the problem must lie with Android, and Google/Alphabet are to blame! It's unfortunate that Comcast gets the blame in these situations, Don't you agree? 

BTW the last fix is worse then before. Before the channels were simply letter AND pillar boxed but retained the correct aspect ratio (you could even play with accessibility features to zoom it to fullscreen). Now however they are pillar boxed, but stretched to the top and bottom of the screen for a completely distorted aspect ratio. It's Comcastic! Smiley Happy

Service Expert

wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree! It's been over 6 months since last raising this issue and Comcast still can't solve the problem, so clearly the problem must lie with Android, and Google/Alphabet are to blame! It's unfortunate that Comcast gets the blame in these situations, Don't you agree? 

BTW the last fix is worse then before. Before the channels were simply letter AND pillar boxed but retained the correct aspect ratio (you could even play with accessibility features to zoom it to fullscreen). Now however they are pillar boxed, but stretched to the top and bottom of the screen for a completely distorted aspect ratio. It's Comcastic! Smiley Happy

the android devices do not have the ability to show the AFD formatted channels that are SD channels presented in a format to be displayed at 14:9 or 16:9 aspect ratio. Those channels appears as a postage stamp on android devices. example channels are Movies! AntennaTV and MeTV (local broadcast channels). you can easily tell an AFD formatted channel by looking at the channel icons as they will be inside the picture area instead of in the corner of the display. non-broadcast (cable) channels are in SD 4:3 or HD 16:9 and will display properly. would you check your channels and be sure to include channel number and channel call letters (example WABCHD).

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation