Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

TG862G Tel 1 and Tel 2 lights are off

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 6 (170 Views)

TG862G Tel 1 and Tel 2 lights are off

Hi 

I am using my own TG862G telephoney modem. I just registered for a new phone service . The internet is working fine. Both the Tel 1 and Tel 2 lights are off. When I connected my phone to back of modem , there is no dial tone.

Talked to comcast support and reset the modem ..but no luck.

Any help will be appriciated.

5 REPLIES
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 2 of 6 (152 Views)

Re: TG862G Tel 1 and Tel 2 lights are off

I had a similiar problem with a Technicolor DPC3941T.  You registered for phone service.  Does that mean Comcast registered your TG862G?  If so; 'Tier 1' restart of your TG862G should have brought Tel 1 LED on.  I replaced the unit, but still had to call 'Tier One' support again.  It sounds like Registration and activation may be the problem.  Did you port a telephone number?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 3 of 6 (126 Views)

maltaf wrote:

Hi 

I am using my own TG862G telephoney modem. I just registered for a new phone service . The internet is working fine. Both the Tel 1 and Tel 2 lights are off. When I connected my phone to back of modem , there is no dial tone.

When you registered for the service, did you call into Comcast and had the EMTA side of the TG862 ACTIVATED?????    There is a difference between activation of data side of gateway and activation of the EMTA Voice side of the gateway.....  many CSR's may not be familiar with this.  Especially since you have had the TG862G all along working fine as a DATA device ONLY....

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 4 of 6 (106 Views)

BoxofRocks wrote:

I had a similiar problem with a Technicolor DPC3941T.  You registered for phone service.  Does that mean Comcast registered your TG862G?  If so; 'Tier 1' restart of your TG862G should have brought Tel 1 LED on.  I replaced the unit, but still had to call 'Tier One' support again.  It sounds like Registration and activation may be the problem.  Did you port a telephone number?

No I did not port ..Its a new number

Posted by
Visitor

Message 5 of 6 (105 Views)

geek46 wrote:

maltaf wrote:

Hi 

When you registered for the service, did you call into Comcast and had the EMTA side of the TG862 ACTIVATED?????    There is a difference between activation of data side of gateway and activation of the EMTA Voice side of the gateway.....  many CSR's may not be familiar with this.  Especially since you have had the TG862G all along working fine as a DATA device ONLY....

Yes I activated botht the data side and EMTA voice side. They told they have provisioned the phone but its failing .

I checked my modem log and its showing Config File error

ConfigFile - BadParam
  65517 ConfigFile - BadParam
  16 MTA TFTP: Successful
  25 MTA PROV: Failed
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 6 of 6 (96 Views)

maltaf wrote:

geek46 wrote:

maltaf wrote:

Hi 

Yes I activated botht the data side and EMTA voice side. They told they have provisioned the phone but its failing .

I checked my modem log and its showing Config File error

ConfigFile - BadParam
  65517 ConfigFile - BadParam
  16 MTA TFTP: Successful
  25 MTA PROV: Failed

If a device fails to receive and initiate the config file when a Comcast Rep has resent it, the device may be bad and need to be swapped out.  This is the one pitfall of owning your own equipment.....if leased and something goes terribly wrong, it's on Comcast to replace it with no $$$ coming from the user.... if it is owned, whatever happens, it is on the owner to pay for a replacement.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon