New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Camera Rules

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 9

I had Xfinity Home installed back in May and upon realizing that Comcast did not offer continuous recording or even recordings of greater than 15 seconds, I had no choice but to set my rules to record a 15-second video every minute (using the every 5 minute rule and doing one for 12:00, 12:01, etc).

For months this has worked without problems, but on October 6 it suddenly stopped.

I can reset the rules and it starts working again but then also quits working again shortly thereafter.

I tried to call Xfinity Home Support for assistance, but they're trying to tell me it's impossible and my configurations should never have worked in the first place because the cameras really shouldn't record more often than once every HOUR. I was also told that the cameras cannot record at the same time.

Is this true? And if so, where is the "security" in that? If my house is robbed, how can I set my camera to be recording so that they're caught before they actually enter my home (my house was robbed before, and they had come through the woods in the back of my home, which is where I have the cameras pointing towards).

Do I have no alternative other than to remove Xfinity Home and switch back to someone who does offer the settings I am looking for?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

8 REPLIES
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 2 of 9

Possibly you discovered and enjoyed a clever work-around-exploit for a while until some network engineer noticed that congestion had become his urgent problem.  Comcast need to acquire a company like Third Iris / VIAAS to protect their network from lucky bandwidth hogs like you.  Meanwhile, I'd hope relocating the Xfinity Security signage, large dog dishes, and some blinking LED's to the rear yard would amuse burglars to go somewhere without ostentatious cameras draped with CAT5 cable.    And borrow the ADT yard sign from your neighbor down the road as well.   Would anyone object to the free advertising?   I expect not.  Loose lips sink ships. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 3 of 9

Xfinity Home was installed in June for me.  I had the same rule setup for every 5 minutes. It only worked for me a couple of weeks.  What seems to work is to set a rule to take a clip for any motion zone. So far no issues with that rule.

You mentioned that they told you that the cameras cannot record at the same time. That may explain why I have a rule to take a video clip when any door opens.  Three cameras, web portal shows I have three clips however I can only view one of the three.  The other two clips are blank. I agree with you that's not security. 15 second clips is not security.  I have complained to Comcast but it's gone on deaf ears.  If they're worried about storage space I suggested to comcast to allow the customer to store the video on our own storage devices.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 4 of 9

Wow This comment is really helpful and pertanent to the other customers question. One as a paying customer of a security for thier home you kind of expect certain things. It doesnt help that you find out from the forum what your system can and cant do. this should be provided by the installer. The company hears every question possible because they deal with this everyday. As an individual you dont think of every question you should ask. So to customer with the ignorant remark i remind you this is a help forum. help or dont bother. 

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 5 of 9
Come on Comcast you are big enough to give your paying consumers what they want. Motion cameras and 24 hr recording to protect our homes.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 6 of 9
24/7 recording is available on up to 2 cameras. Extra $10 a month per camera. Started 2/11/16
Posted by
New Poster

Message 7 of 9
Look at your desktop portal, there is a limit to the number of videos and pictures you are aloud per day
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 8 of 9

There is a limit but based on one motion camera and one that is set to record based on a motion sensor, the limit allows several weeks work of clips and then when full it just removes the oldest and starts over.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 9 of 9

First off, you're rude and that was completely uncalled for.

Second, Xfinity shouldn't be releasing products if they can't support their full functionality. Trust me, your 2 bit cheap stab comment about being a network hog was not only wrong, but incredibly rude, that bandwidth isn't even a drop in the bucket for them.