Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

unsolicited 411, 511, 211 calls

Regular Visitor

unsolicited 411, 511, 211 calls

I am currently holding for a Comcast rep.   SInce switching to Comcast, aside from all the robo calls we didn't used to get with ATT, we now get incessant unsolicited call backs from 411information, 511 dept. of traffic and 211 united way starting somtimes as early as 5:15 AM.  When I stay on the line to connect with a human they are at loss to explain the calls origin. Originally Comcast told me to block the number and I was given a non-existent WRONG CODE by the comcast rep ... I found the correct code myself on-line.  First of all these calls generate NO DATA on the  caller ID as if they don't exist and after finally obtaining 2 numbers for United Way and utilizing call screening*60 I am STILL receiving calls.... so far 8+ this morning.  United Way tells me that it is a problem with my service provider. All my (non)service provider, Comcast has done is read from a script and tell me how sorry they are for my trouble never grasping the situation after repeated explanation.

Juanita the rep is currently TALKING to me and she is NOT reading from a script! 

Juanita was GREAT.  She had the ability to listen and actually understand the situation.  She told me to use *77 after any call that didn't display data. 

Unfortunately, she was not familiar with "Nomorobo" which is understandable since comcast doesn't seem to want to offer that service in spite of customers wanting it.  WHY NOT comcast?  Are you getting some sort of kickback from all of these robo calling companies?  It certainly looks that way.   IF *77 doesn't provide some relief I am back to ATT.

New Poster

Re: unsolicited 411, 511, 211 calls

I feel your pain - when I switched to CC phone service six years ago I began receiving a ridiculous number of robocalls and collection calls for other people.

What I've deduced over the years:  People who don't pay their bills with say Qwest, AT&T, Verizon... they go to the cable company as a next-to-last resort for phone services.  Comcast has much more lax credit standards and requirements to start an account.  Then those folks eventually don't pay Comcast and they get cut off.

Their numbers get recycled into the pool of available numbers and then you're assigned that number and the calls for collections or robocall telemarketing start occuring.

I still receive calls for two people from collection agencies at least a few times a month.  The robocalls stopped occuring as frequently when I just started ignoring them - it took about two months for them to go away.  

Why I'm replying to you is because your notion that Comcast gets a kick back isn't what's going on.  You can blame what you are seeing on VoIP (Voice over IP or Internet phone service).  VoIP makes it *incredibly* easy to spoof caller-id and to do robocall campaigns for next to nothing in cost.  Before the days of VoIP you had to have pretty big dollars to spend to do robocalling, and to have a circuit capable of passing spoofed caller ID.  One of the larger sources of NO DATA calls will be Skype callers and typically those callers are abroad and trying to get personal information about you.

There are MANY legit and non-legit people out there doing these robocall tactics to either sell things to you or in a lot of cases to try and scam you.  During the last political campaign cycle I was amazed at how many of the local candidates had resorted to having a low-end IT guy or provider setup rigs like these.

These robocallers and scammers can easily obtain a list of all phone numbers assigned to a carrier in your area.  They can also use "war dialing" tactics where the computer just automatically dials every possible number combination in an area.

My advice to you - if you're not married to the telephone number CC assigned to you, have them change it.  It's pretty likely the volume of calls will go down dramatically.

Good luck!

New Poster

Re: unsolicited 411, 511, 211 calls

That is interesting about the voice over internet and certainly makes sense however, the number we have did not change when we switched to comcast.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation