Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

unable to retrieve voice mail online

Frequent Visitor

unable to retrieve voice mail online

Hello! I am able to retieve my voice messages using my phone but not online. When I began service , the technician set up my account with a username that I have since changed. This is the primary and only account.  I also changed my password. Now, when I try to retrieve my messages online, the old username still appears in the left hand corner of the SmartZone, even though I signed in with my new username.  When I click "Play" on a message, nothing happens. (Note: I am able to retrieve email messages without any problems.) Please help!
Official Employee

Re: unable to retrieve voice mail online

longreeno, we made a minor adjustment to your account.  Would you please check it again, now?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Email Expert

aorapal, there have been lots of threads like this lately. Why do so many accounts need this "minor adjustment"? What's wrong with them?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

okay, my new username is now correctly showing in the Smart Zone instead of the old one.  However, I am still unable to play the voice messages.  It did not fix the problem.
Official Employee

longreeno, what browser are you using?  Are you able to play messages on a different browser and/or different computer?

Barmar, the "minor adjustment" isn't always the same, different adjument for different situations.  In this case there was a uid change that didn't complete.  So we went in and completed it manually.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I am using Internet Explorer 7.0 provided by Comcast...also, I tried to play the messages through my AOL browser but it won't work with that either......the messages won't play in SmartZone or in the DVC......also, when I download a message, it automatically brings up Windows Media Player but it does not play it...I am unable to check on another computer
Message Edited by longreeno on 06-05-2009 08:31 AM
Message Edited by longreeno on 06-05-2009 09:21 AM
Official Employee

longreeno, did you try it on a different computer?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

longreeno, please tell us, what version of windows media player, what operating system and do you have any toolbars installed (e.g. comcast toolbar, google toolbar, yahoo toolbar, etc)?
Message Edited by aorapal on 06-05-2009 03:35 PM

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I am running Windows XP and Windows Media Player Version 11.......I guess it is a Comcast toolbar because at the top it says "Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Comcast".....if you could tell me how to change it, I will try another one.......I do not have access to another computer
Official Employee

If you uninstall the toolbar, does that solve the problem?  Also have you tried reinstalling Windows Media Player 11?  And can you provide the exact error message that you are receiving?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I tried reinstalling WMP from your link...no change....when I click on the voice mail, nothing happens... when I attempt to download it, it brings up the WMP but again, nothing happens...I do not get any error message...how do you uninstall the toolbar?.....which one should I install instead?....please tell me the steps to uninstall / reinstall a different toolbar and I will try this too....I appreciate your suggestions
Official Employee

As a troubleshooting step, would you please try dowloading, installing and checking your voicemail with firefox?  You can always uninstall it later.

To uninstall the comcast toolbar, goto start -> control panel -> add or remove programs -> Comcast toolbar -> Change/Remove.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

That did the trick!  Firefox is the only browser that will allow me to play my messages.  I tried AOL, Comcast, and Internet Explorer with no luck.  When I click on the message using Firefox, it gives me the option of which player to use.  The message played with Quick Time and Musicmatch but not with Windows Media Player.   The other browsers did not allow me to use other players, only the WMP which will not play my messages.  Now the question is, why doesn't my WMP work?  Isn't this the player that is required to play Comcast messages?  I reinstalled it but had the same results.  Does this happen often or is it just me????

I appreciate all of your help!

Official Employee

longreeno wrote:

[...] Now the question is, why doesn't my WMP work?  Isn't this the player that is required to play Comcast messages?  I reinstalled it but had the same results.  Does this happen often or is it just me????

I appreciate all of your help!

The file is actually a .wav and the way the smartzone regular web page is coded Quicktime is actually the default and will actually play the file within the browswer if it is setup correctly.  If you'd like to explore that option, you can try downloading and (re-)installing Quicktime.

AOL and Comcast browsers are based on IE I believe.  Because IE is not working, they are not working either.  Anyway, because Firefox does work, the problem appears to be with the way your IE is installed/configured.

So just to recap:

1) you sign into email via comcast.net

2) you click the voice tab

3) you click the little play button in the Message column

4) In firefox, you can play the message but in IE/AOL/Comcast nothing happens when you click play

5) When you download the file (instead of clicking play) in IE, Windows media player opens but nothing happens (i.e. no errors, no sound, no nothing)

Is that correct?

Troubleshooting questions/steps:

1) a) When you attempt to play in IE, on the status bar at the bottom of IE in the left corner is there a message/error (like a little yellow triangle and/or "Error on page")?

b) If so double click that little yellow triangle then click Show Details and paste the error message here?

2) Did you uninstall the toolbar (instructions in my last message)?

3) a) In IE goto Tools ->  Internet options -> Programs -> Manage add-ons

b) Do you see two entries for Windows Media Player and are both of them enabled? If not enable them and try to again to play messages (you may need to close and reopen IE)

c) Can you provide a list of the other add-ons you have installed?

4) Can you play, download or otherwise listen to wav files from other websites in IE?

Message Edited by aorapal on 06-18-2009 04:07 PM
Message Edited by aorapal on 06-18-2009 04:17 PM

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation