Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

question about phone service

New Poster

question about phone service

if im using a

Linksys - DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem at this present time and i want to add comcast phone service will i have to buy/rent a new modem

Problem Solver

Re: question about phone service

I would suggest you first check with your local Comcast service center if the franchise in your area will permit the use of your own retail device when using the Xfinity Voice Service.  I am advising this as I have seen others more knowledgable than myself make the same suggestion and I have seen some posts where users have checked and found the local franchise does not allow the use of retail devices when using the Xfinity Voice Service.

If you can use your own retail device, then the next step I would suggest is visiting the web page at http://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/ and selecting your internet speed connection level and selecting the Only Retail Devices.  From the resulting list look for the ones with Telephony in their Product Name.  The only two devices I am aware of through retail that will permit the use of Xfinity Voice Service is the TG862G which is the more commonly found unit these days, and the TM722G which I have heard is next to impossible to find any more. 

Hope this helps you out,

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation