Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

phone jacks not working

New Poster

phone jacks not working

For 2 months now, phone jacks in the house do not work. Phone is plugged directley into the modem and works from there. Have done everything from their "helpful hints". Any ideas on what's wrong???

Cable Expert

Re: phone jacks not working

Since each home is wired differently, no one can guess where the issue is on your inside phone wiring.  If your not handy, you should hire a local low voltage contractor to check your phone wiring, jacks and junction block.

It can be one bad jack, bad cord, bad splices in the junction, chewed up wiring, or any other reason why a electrical circuit can't be completed.

If you hire Comcast to do it, you will be charged unless you have the wire maintenance plan on your account.  

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I am having the same problem, and it only occured when I had to upgrade the modemn you sent!  Why would I pay someone to look at my phone jacks, when it was perfectly fine before the modem!  What solution do you have that will not cost me time or money??????????

Service Expert

cocob wrote:

I am having the same problem, and it only occured when I had to upgrade the modemn you sent!  Why would I pay someone to look at my phone jacks, when it was perfectly fine before the modem!  What solution do you have that will not cost me time or money??????????

If your wiring was working beofe, ensure that you are backfeeding your exisitng wiring from the modem to one of the phone jacks...  If this was a self-install, you may not have done it exactly per the pre-upgrade condition...

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I too have the same issue.  The only way the phone works is if I plug my phone directly into the modem you sent me.  I find it quite odd that so many people are having the exact same problem.  My phone lines were working just fine before I switched over.  Now they do not work at all.   There is no way that all of us had our phones line "go bad" at the moment that we started using Xfinity Voice.   I am not paying Comcast any more money for either the 'wire maintenance' plan or for them to come out and look at the lines.   I pay enough already.  This is not my fault that they don't work.   So until they can come out and fix this for free, I'm stuck with using just the phone that's plugged into the modem. 

New Poster

Same problem here. The moment I activated the Technicolor modem my phone jacks stopped working. I called Comcast to help me with this issue and the representative on the phone tried but couldn't fix it. He said that a technician will call me within 48 hours to help me fix this isuue.

Contributor

This is pretty basic, but did you connect the phone line out on the modem (where you are now connecting the telephone) to one of the telephone jacks (or connecting it to you house phone lined that contains the jacks some way)?

Service Expert

Kschneider6406 wrote:

I too have the same issue.  The only way the phone works is if I plug my phone directly into the modem you sent me.  I find it quite odd that so many people are having the exact same problem.  My phone lines were working just fine before I switched over.  Now they do not work at all.   There is no way that all of us had our phones line "go bad" at the moment that we started using Xfinity Voice.   I am not paying Comcast any more money for either the 'wire maintenance' plan or for them to come out and look at the lines.   I pay enough already.  This is not my fault that they don't work.   So until they can come out and fix this for free, I'm stuck with using just the phone that's plugged into the modem. 

Have you verified that the feed into your D-MARK box ( usually outside your residence ) from your original phone provider was DISCONNECTED from your house phone-wiring???????   This not being done WILL impact your VOIP service and cause your phone jacks to not work when you backfeed the modem to one of your wallplates...

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Kschneider6406 wrote: ... The only way the phone works is if I plug my phone directly into the modem ...

If your phone works when plugged directly into the modem, then however much you want to believe otherwise, you have some sort of wiring problem in your home.

Regular Contributor

I just got this problem 3 days ago. Have had Comcast phone service for 8 years. Have had the upgraded modem (Arris) for nearly a year. three days ago I came home and had no phone service, no dial tone. received calls are going straight to my Comcast voice mail. I spent nearly an hour on chat with two Comcast reps. she had me unplug the cordless phone from the modem jack and to plug in the cordless phone main base instead. So that main base phone is the only one working. Any other phone jacks with coredless phones in other rooms are all dead. This did not happen over night that the jacks just quit working or have just started getting feedback that is causing the problem. something else changed 3 days ago and I think it is something Comcast did to the other lines in the jack to create a problem where you will ask them to come out. I've read the explanations above and remain skeptical to how the service worked for all this time and now it just stops??

Regular Contributor

I have had my phone plugged directly into the modem as I was instructed and still had a few issues, even lost the Internet a few times. I don't want to only have the phone that is in the modem. I have a phone in each room and should be able to use them. I have had your phone service for 7 years since we moved here and I am rely tired of it being said to make sure there opus phone service was disconnected. If you've been my provider of service for the past 7 years without issue then why would you make that excuse now? Something happened recently with Comcast nod now everyone is having the same issue. If you can't give me the phone service I want then why do I have you? That's why I dropped cable cause of the poor service. I want to use my phone jacks in each room and just want to know how to do that sap.
Regular Contributor

Comcast has been my phonerovider for the past seven years think I can safely say the service was disconnected since this is a new problem this week. Something changed and now the phone in the modem is the only one that works and even that is iffy at times.
Service Expert

bj52 wrote:
Comcast has been my phonerovider for the past seven years think I can safely say the service was disconnected since this is a new problem this week. Something changed and now the phone in the modem is the only one that works and even that is iffy at times.

BruceW is absolutely right about this.... something has "changed" with your inside wiring in the home....   remodeling, hanging a picture, etc....  something has nicked or separated your internal phone wiring...   Your best bet is get either an electrician or a low voltage installer to take a look at your internal wiring...  a tone generator can be used to find the "cut" in the wiring....

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

There has been no remodeling for sure. Phone worked fine Thursday stopped Friday the only change is no service. How are you so sure it's not Comcast? Maybe their equipment failed, it happens, just own it. Just one more reason to switch or drop the landline all together
Service Expert
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 9 in conversation