topics

my own emta?

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

my own emta?

Can i use my own emta?

Accepted Solution

Re: my own emta?

You dont need to buy one from bestbuy.  Verify that the model you want to use is on comcast list of acceptable modems and if possible get the mack address and serial number of the one you want to purchase to have comcast make sure its not a stollen modem.  I ahve a ARRIS TM502G that I purchased off ebay.

Jess

View answer in context
Silver Problem Solver

Hello,

Yes

Gold Problem Solver

. . .  if Comcast permits this in your area and you have a Best Buy that sells the modem Comcast approves. Best to call Comcast and Best Buy.

Frequent Visitor

You dont need to buy one from bestbuy.  Verify that the model you want to use is on comcast list of acceptable modems and if possible get the mack address and serial number of the one you want to purchase to have comcast make sure its not a stollen modem.  I ahve a ARRIS TM502G that I purchased off ebay.

Jess

Most Valued Poster

I have my own cable modem but its old and needs an upgrade for the new free faster speed. I rent my EMTA from Comcast for $7 a month. I thought since I have to replace the cable modem it might be wise to get a combo voice/internet modem and save the $7. I did some research and  read in several places that we cannot use our own EMTA for Comcast voice; it has to be supplied by them and they are the only 'buyers' of the combo...thus  the ones for sale on ebay,etc are stolen. I need to know the real scoop .... is there a legit combo EMTA/Cable modem we can purchase that Comcast will let us use?

Terri

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation