Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

modem for phone service

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

modem for phone service

I am adding phone service to my Comcast plan. I currently have a Motorola  SURFboard SB6121 modem.  Will I need a new modem for phone service?  If so, can I buy a modem rather than rent?

Accepted Solution

Re: modem for phone service

mlaberge wrote:

I am adding phone service to my Comcast plan. I currently have a Motorola  SURFboard SB6121 modem.  Will I need a new modem for phone service?  If so, can I buy a modem rather than rent?

Yes, the SB6121 is only for Intenet service...   you will need to contact your local market service center to see if EMTA devices ( VOIP ) are allowed to be owned...some markets do not allow for this,    You may be required to update to a GATEWAY device which includes the Internet modem and the VOIP modem....   That one box would provide for both services then.

View answer in context
Tags (1)
Service Expert

mlaberge wrote:

Yes, the SB6121 is only for Intenet service...   you will need to contact your local market service center to see if EMTA devices ( VOIP ) are allowed to be owned...some markets do not allow for this,    You may be required to update to a GATEWAY device which includes the Internet modem and the VOIP modem....   That one box would provide for both services then.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Problem solved.  Thanks

New Poster

When would I HAVE to get a gateway, vs separate voice (or VOIP) modem and router?  

I also  have Comcast triple play. I have an old fashion phone, which I never use.  I do like having it as a back up since I always have problems with my cell phone.  I would not use it for voicemail, answering machine, caller ID , etc.  Would I still need a voice modem/ gateway, or would VOIP be good enough?  I really don't want to spend $150 or more for a voice gateway. 

I currently rent a Cisco dpc3941t.  I don't want to give Comcast one more cent than I have to.

Thank you so much for any help.

jp

Service Expert

Jp0404 wrote:

When would I HAVE to get a gateway, vs separate voice (or VOIP) modem and router?  

I also  have Comcast triple play. I have an old fashion phone, which I never use.  I do like having it as a back up since I always have problems with my cell phone.  I would not use it for voicemail, answering machine, caller ID , etc.  Would I still need a voice modem/ gateway, or would VOIP be good enough?  I really don't want to spend $150 or more for a voice gateway. 

I currently rent a Cisco dpc3941t.  I don't want to give Comcast one more cent than I have to.

Thank you so much for any help.

jp

Your DPC3941t "is" a Gateway device.

Refer to this link:  http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.php?devid=435

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Dear geek:

Yes, I know that my current one, provided by Comcast, is a gateway. I was questioning whether it HAD to be a gateway (combined), vs a voice modem and a router. I  thought there may be more choices for a voice modem, vs a voice gateway. I am also assuming it may be less expensive to go that way.  Thank you for responding though 

Service Expert

Jp0404 wrote:

Dear geek:

Yes, I know that my current one, provided by Comcast, is a gateway. I was questioning whether it HAD to be a gateway (combined), vs a voice modem and a router. I  thought there may be more choices for a voice modem, vs a voice gateway. I am also assuming it may be less expensive to go that way.  Thank you for responding though 

Models available to be used are listed here ( see Retail section ):  http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Wish I saw this sooner,  I bet you are sorry you that. My phone has been up and down working for 5 months, called tonight and they did not even have records of my calls, not any comments the techs made, they were here 2 times in 2 week,

GO TO VONAGE- I had them for years and got suckered into a  triple play, I am going back to Vonage - My son needed to get me and my cell was charging- he could not hear but I could hear him- even got news phones,  I am done with this, I will eat the extra money just to be done with this phone service. I backed up all my emails- RCN is great, alot of my friends have it,

Service Expert
Moved:

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation