Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

getting calls from 000-000-0000

New Poster

getting calls from 000-000-0000

Not sure where to post this.  Been getting phone calls all morning from a "not available" phone number that displays as 000-000-0000 on my landline phone.  Checked xfinity voice mail and it's listed as "invalid phone number" although there were two from 1-97.  Now, I can't report the numbers to the Do Not Call listing, and I can't block them because they aren't working numbers.  So, HOW are invalid numbers able to call me and HOW do I block them and IS this a sign that my account has been hacked or something?

Tags (1)
Service Expert

Re: getting calls from 000-000-0000

RJM2015 wrote:

Not sure where to post this.  Been getting phone calls all morning from a "not available" phone number that displays as 000-000-0000 on my landline phone.  Checked xfinity voice mail and it's listed as "invalid phone number" although there were two from 1-97.  Now, I can't report the numbers to the Do Not Call listing, and I can't block them because they aren't working numbers.  So, HOW are invalid numbers able to call me and HOW do I block them and IS this a sign that my account has been hacked or something?

You have not been hacked... telemarketers are "spoofing" their nnumber in order to get around the DoNotCall listing....

See this link for more than you ever want to know about callerid spoofing:  http://www.fcc.gov/guides/caller-id-and-spoofing

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

You can use NOMOROBO which will block most of telemarketer calls.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/phone/nomorobo

New Poster

Thanks for all the feed back.  I use NomoRobo.  I check my call log online and report the numbers I know are spam.  It's been a while since I reported this issue, however, I think these numbers still rang through, which means NomoRobo didn't flag them which is unusual.

Service Expert
Moved:

Service Expert

RJM2015 wrote:

Thanks for replying!  Good information on the link you supplied.  It still doesn't explain how telemarketers can disguise their number, which clearly they are not supposed to do, or how to report them when they don't leave a real number.   Correction.  Perhaps I can send the FCC an email with the information since I couldn't report it through the FCC hotline phone system (because the telemarker's number was fake).

This link is to an FCC article on callerID spoofing:  http://www.fcc.gov/guides/caller-id-and-spoofing

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation