Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

connecting addtional phones and fax line

Contributor

connecting addtional phones and fax line

Sure would like some advice on how to hook up an addtional phone and a fax connection to my line 1 on modem. Cuttently only thing that seems to work is just a single connection from line 1 on modem to single phone. In this case a cordless desk top speaker phone and an additional matched handset.

This single set up works fine. However tried to add a phone and the only thing I had was a 2-connection splitter which allowed connection 2 phones to the line 1 connection. No good. Called number from cell phone and phones didn't ring. Was able to leave a VM, but after accessing and deleting, checked speaker phone and got beeping. Display gave message that a parallel line was in use. Conclusion was the splitter approach was no good. Removed and evertyhing fine. Phone rang, no parallel lines present, but only have the single unit connected.

How do you hook up 2 phones and a fax connection to Line1 of the modem?

Sorry for the over long question, but getting frustrated since Comcast says nothing about this.

Accepted Solutions
Contributor

Re: connecting addtional phones and fax line

Will save someone some time. Solved problem. What Comcast doesn't tell you is that you have to disconnect your in house lines from the Telphone Network Box(s). This was a simple operation and then the other part of the problem was that I put the line splitter on the modem. It has to be in the nearest wall connection for the phone. Did these 2 simple things and now have phones in other rooms. the fax connection will be resoved shortly when I get a triplex adapter (splitter) so the fax connection can be added. So problem solved. I am disappointed in comcast for not providing verry short and simple instructions for this voice hook up option. Additionally it is surprising that Xfinity does not include, a RJ11 plug/2RJ11 jacks adapter (splitter) to facilitate connecting additional phones in their Self Intall Kits.

All Replies
Contributor

Will save someone some time. Solved problem. What Comcast doesn't tell you is that you have to disconnect your in house lines from the Telphone Network Box(s). This was a simple operation and then the other part of the problem was that I put the line splitter on the modem. It has to be in the nearest wall connection for the phone. Did these 2 simple things and now have phones in other rooms. the fax connection will be resoved shortly when I get a triplex adapter (splitter) so the fax connection can be added. So problem solved. I am disappointed in comcast for not providing verry short and simple instructions for this voice hook up option. Additionally it is surprising that Xfinity does not include, a RJ11 plug/2RJ11 jacks adapter (splitter) to facilitate connecting additional phones in their Self Intall Kits.

New Poster

Not sure what you mean when you said 'disconnect house phone lines from ...box'.

I ordered voice & internet from Comncast, next day ordered a 2nd phone line for fax; installers only installed one line and when i called, the phone # assigned to me 'was in use', so i asked for another.  That one was never assigned to me either.  3rd try they no longer had a matching exchange prefix available, so i canceled the 2nd line (for now).  Would like to have had similar #'s for phone and fax.

Are you using the same # for both phone and fax?  By simply installing a splitter in the wall box?  (Fax picks up after "x" number of rings?  Does that interfere with answering/voice mail?)

Contributor

Solved my problem. It was caused by interference from prior land line from Verizion/Frontier. Had to go outside to phone interface box and disconnect phone connections. This eliminated the house wiring from being energized. Then hooked up 2 lines on the cable modem via a splitter in line 1 receptacle. From the splitter one line went to speaker phone on desk and the other to the wall phone receptacle. Now the interal phone lines were being energized by the modem. Fax connection, if needed, would be to use a splitter at the wall receptacle and connect lead for modem to one outlet and the fax connection to another. I decided to not connect the Fax and insead scan documents and transmit by e-mail.

The whole issue I had in connecting was competing sources energizing the internal phone wiring. Once one was eliminated everything was straight forward and line connections functional. Only issue I have is that it would have been nice if Comcast would have noted this in their instructions.