Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

blocked calls?

Regular Contributor

blocked calls?

I have been getting calls that my caller ID has "Unknown" on it. I thought that by having caller id block would block this. I was looking at my call list and saw that the "Unknown" listed a number as Unk-nown.

I think this is how it get past the block. I tried to list this but it won’t take because it's not a number. I thought that I would us the letters to make the numbers but who knows what numbers are used?

Think there is any way to block this?

Problem Solver

Re: blocked calls?

Most businesses have a few lines and when you block one number they will use another and still call you. It is always best to answer the line and wait for a live rep if it's in face a telemarketer sometimes it takes over a minute for them to connect and ask them to remove you from their distribution list and keep track of the companies you ask to remove your name.

Anonymous Call Rejection blocks all incoming calls from people who have deliberately blocked their caller ID, either using the Caller ID Block per Call feature (*67) or the Caller ID Block per Line feature.  Typically, their caller ID would show as “Anonymous,” “Private,” or “Private Caller.”  Those inbound callers will instead hear a message that the customer does not want to receive a call from any party that has blocked their caller ID.

Anonymous Call Rejection will Not Block any call where the caller ID information is not reported or is incomplete.  For example, calls that either display “Unknown,” just the city and/or state, or just the telephone number are all permitted to ring through.

The National Do Not Call Registry can limit the amount of telemarketing calls you receive. You can register by going to www.donotcall.gov, or by calling 1-888-382-1222.

He National Do Not Call Registry is a service run by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) that will stop most telemarketing calls. There are some exceptions. Calls from political organizations, charities and surveys are still permitted, along with calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship. Usually takes about 30 days before you will notice a change in those calls.

Please let me know if you require more assistance.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Re: blocked calls?

I guess you don't get to many telemarketer calls. I have picked up the phone and asked to be taken off their list and done all the other stuff including the Do Not Call list, but they don't care. If you look at sites like Who calls: http://whocalled.us you will see that it can't be done!!!!!

As for the call that I'm getting that have on caller ID "Unknown" and where the number should be it has "unk-nown", so it gets through to ring. Sometimes it's a TM or a credit collector that goes through the phone book and finds names close to who they are looking for.

So what I want to know is there a way to block the unk-nown calls?

P.S. they won’t tell who they are.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation