Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

bad phone service

Regular Visitor

bad phone service

I have had Comcast phone, cable, Internet service for over a year, Had trouble since day one . with all of them at one time or another.

The phone has been dropping /losing calls has a sequel noise at times, dead phone

this last time i lost service on 3 of 6 lines call customer service ( that is a whole different issue) to send a tech

the tech came out said i had some broken wires ; loose wire, spent an hour or so . said he couldn't fix it  He said I need new phone lines installed @ $ 60 each with NO GUARANTEE or go cordless . well I started out with 3 PHONE LINES NOT WORKING TO ALL SIX NOT WORKING (only working out of the modem) 

Cable Expert

Re: bad phone service

Your issue is with your inside phone wiring, which is owned by the homeowner just like you plumbing, electric wiring and coaxial TV cable.  Unless you are paying for the wiring maintenance plan for about $5 a month, the wiring is your responsibilty to maintain and get repaired, either by Comcast or a local low voltage contractor.  If the Comcast tech said you need a re-wire, then that is what needs to be done.  This is no different than having electrical issues and the power company saying your home needs rewiring.  

If you switched to the local telephone company, you would still have the same issues since they would connect up to your existing telephone wiring.  It's you choice to eliminate using your inside wiring and going with one cordless phone base connected directly to the eMTA telephony modem or gateway, or getting the inside wiring rewired including all jacks.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

You have another option which it to get  a phone that has several hand held sets and all of them just need the main phone plugged into the modem. They sell them at wal-mart for about 60 bucks and they work great. the other responder is correct.. your phone lines are the problem not Comcast.... and everyone  got a rate increase.

@ lebozmann: The problem you seem to have is the same that I have been dealing with for nearly two years since we bought my house. I've had several  Tech calls due to intermittant internet/phone-dropouts/complete loss of service and the last explained what he thought might be part of the problem...if not all.

The main feed cable going from the service-box into my house though o the attic to the cable splitter was older RG-59.....probably installed when the house was built. the rest going to conections from the splitter is the newer, heavier RG-6..which has better shielding and can handle larger signal loads or does it better...so I'm told. I believe the best available is supposed to be RG-6Q (Quad) for Quad-shielding...but for now RG-6 seems to suffice.

I went out, bought the proper, easy-to use tools... a coax cable splitter that can handle both RG-59 and RG-6/Q and a Cable connector Compression tool ...all for around 30$... though you can certainly spend much more... these will do for infrequent use for me. The cost of the RG-6 Cable depends on how much you need to run. I was lucky..already had some..barely enough.. so I did not get the costs of that. I used the tools to put one connector on... disconnected the outside RG-59 at the service box and used a cable male-to-male connector to join the outside RG-59 to my new roll of RG-6 and then went into the attic. crawled the 60 or so feet over the boards and pulled the older cable through...along with the newer...which I then pulled enough to reach my attic splitter. I then went down and cut the cable and fit a new connector on and connected!

After all this.. I did not see any change in signal but I knew the excuse of Older wiring was now gone! Sure enough... a couple of weeks later the same problems started with my intermittant wireless conncetion and so I was back online...using a hardline LAN connection to troubleshoot. after three HOURS of this and that..the tech finally determined that my Gateway (router/modem) needed replacement. He sent a message to my local Comcast support.. I went took the old and exchanged for a new one and setup.. and since..all has been relatively fine.. That was a wek ago... still holding Smiley Happy

I did this myself because I knew I could and I hate to pay for installers... I also like to know how things are setup my self so if I have trouble I can usually fix the problems myself. It's not as easy as it used to be.. I'm nearly 60 (in a couple of months)... and I have myriad medical issues that seem to come with the age, weight and past bad habits... but I DID have a choice to have it all done by installers with only one pain..in my wallet. That pain I avoid s much as possible.

You need to eliminate the possible owner-related problems first..also eliminating any excuses from Techs... to get the focus on a real solution. Expensive...a little... but if you own a home.. it comes at times with the package.

Your gain... Satisfaction/knowledge.You now know how things are setup..how do do future troubleshooting/repairs and have the tools to do so. Goos luck with your service.. When it works right..it is Great!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation