Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

We need better call blocking!

Regular Visitor

We need better call blocking!

Does Comcast management monitor this forum? I would like to add my voice to the hundreds of others requesting an expansion of the call blocking limit to 500+ (at a minimum) vs. the current 25. I currently use Nomorobo, which is effective, and I have a call blocking device installed (also effective), yet I still get spoofed calls from scam artists, telemarketers, and other assorted hambones. I would at least like to understand the reason the call blocking feature is limited to 25 phone numbers. (It used to be limited to 12!!!) In this era of off-shore pharmacies, bogus charities, an endless array of easily spoofed numbers, and God knows what else, that is a pathetically tiny number of blockable numbers.

Service Expert

Re: We need better call blocking!

jake_fantom wrote:

Does Comcast management monitor this forum? I would like to add my voice to the hundreds of others requesting an expansion of the call blocking limit to 500+ (at a minimum) vs. the current 25. I currently use Nomorobo, which is effective, and I have a call blocking device installed (also effective), yet I still get spoofed calls from scam artists, telemarketers, and other assorted hambones. I would at least like to understand the reason the call blocking feature is limited to 25 phone numbers. (It used to be limited to 12!!!) In this era of off-shore pharmacies, bogus charities, an endless array of easily spoofed numbers, and God knows what else, that is a pathetically tiny number of blockable numbers.

It is impossible to have a device that could possibly block out the millions of numbers a "Spoofer" could use.... They can even spoof your own number so that your CallerID reports you calling yourself...  To try and explain this, the FCC created an article about spoofing and can be read here:   http://www.fcc.gov/guides/caller-id-and-spoofing

Hope this helps.

-=Ray=-

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Actually, I don't find your reply helpful at all. From the reading I have done, it seems as if it is actually quite easy for providers like Comcast to block ALL spoofed calls. The reason the big providers don't block/ban spoofed calls is that they earn revenue from them. But that profit is at the expense of their customers being harrassed by phone pests and scam artists. If Comcast won't block ALL spoofed calls, the least they can do is provide customers with an easy way to block those that they receive. Once you start receiving spoofed calls, you are likely to receive 25 or more in a week's time. So 25 is just a ridiculously low limit. If the number were 500, or a thousand, or two thousand, as many call blockers permit, at least we could keep up with the steady drip of low-lifes who interrupt our private lives with their nonsense. I don't think that's too much to ask. And I don't think it would be difficult at all for Comcast to add this type of capability. What I would really like is to hear someone from Comcast respond. In the meantime, I hope you earn tons of points supporting the status quo and trying to make it seem as if better voice service is, in your words, impossible.

New Poster

I only took voice as a package deal to lower my bill, Never used it at all no phone attached..So last week I decided to just check voice.. What I found was several calls from from numbers I did not know, and one person was leaving me messages. I was quite upset,thinking someone was hacking in..So I googled all the numbers..Of course several from Comcast 800-266-2278, the other number which left me several messages was a man in another part of Florida not far from me, got his name and ip address which was from Chicago..Being annoyed I called him, discussed the matter his most concern was did I remember what message he left,I told him no..Called Comcast told them about this issue, and I called the guy etc..Talked with some lady which had no clue what I was talking about it was the first she heard of this..Angry, I asked to speak to a supervisor, she got on the phone same old thing but she had heard of this, it happened to her sister..not happy with her answer, she will have a phone tech call me the next day..He called I told him I investigated all the phone numbers...Well the real story is these phone numbers they give you for your voice and free calls, are all refurbished numbers, not in operation so they assign them to Comcast customers, and they are a separate company not with Comcast in direct..So I had the number changed last week and today same old thing happening again..The freebie your getting is from another phone contractor doing business with Comcast,so I was told

Frequent Visitor

OKAY Comcast, you've had plenty of time to "increase" the number of calls that can be blocked.  I get on an average of 6 - 7 calls per day from solicitors.  My absolute favorite is the girl who tells me "...this is your final warning to take advantage of the stimulas program, blah blah blah....."  She calls from so many different numbers that I'm sure she holds most of the 25 slots I have, which by the way is full!  Comcast can do better than this and should!  You are the largest cable company out there and you make millions (billions) in profit.  The least you can do is give us unlimited blocking features.  Or at least increase it by the level of service.  ie: Single Play - 100 blocked number, Double Play - 200 numbers, Triple Play - 300 numbers.   Comcast is the only company I deal with that doesn't offer to many perks to its loyal customers.  Me, I've been with comcast for over 30 years.  I think that alone deserves more than 25 blocked numbers. 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation