Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Want Digital Voice, but cannot keep same phone number? Help!

Regular Visitor

Want Digital Voice, but cannot keep same phone number? Help!

Hello,

Recently I've been getting a lot of mailers from Comcast about Digital Voice and my family wants to switch to it as $15 a month for 12 months is a lot less than the $60+ a month we're being charged by AT&T.  The issue though is that according to Comcast, we can't keep the same phone number we've had for 20 years with AT&T.

I've spoken to two Comcast sales reps who said they could not port over the number.  I've also spoken to AT&T who says there is no reason that the number should not be allowed to transfer to another provider.  

I've been reading online that the number might not be transferrable because of FCC regulations or E911 service?  Is this correct?  We've had the number at the same location for almost 20 years.

Any help as to what would cause a number not to be released under these circumstances would be appreciated as would help in porting the number to Comcast.  We want digital voice and the only obstacle is that we would lose the phone number we've had for 20 years.

Thanks. Smiley Happy

Email Expert

Re: Want Digital Voice, but cannot keep same phone number? Help!

Did the Comcast reps say why the number can't be ported? The only numbers I've heard can't be ported are business numbers.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Valued Contributor

Re: Want Digital Voice, but cannot keep same phone number? Help!

if the phone number you are trying to port doesnt belong in that area anymore aka Rate Center (different prefix) then that number was grandfathered in and no longer able to be ported...its happens when customers have had the phone number for a really long time (like yourself 20yrs). 
Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation