Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Voicemail was inactivated by Comcast but calls continue to go there?

Regular Contributor

Voicemail was inactivated by Comcast but calls continue to go there?

Perhaps I do not understand how Comcast voicemail is suposed to work and any insights would be appreciated. Back some time ago I noticed that many calls were going to voicemail instead of to my answering machine. I contacted Comcast and asked that they inactivate voicemail and they said they did. However, I notice that calls continue being directed to voicemail and I am perplexed.

Am I correct in assuming that unanswered calls should go to the answereing machine after the 5 rings if it is so configured?. If the phone is in use when a call comes in I have always assumed that caller gets a busy signal? In that case would the call go to the voicemail if voicemail is activated? What happens to that incoming call if the phone is in use at the time and voicemail is inactivated?

Any information on how Comcast mail is supposed to work would be appreciated.

Frank

New Poster

Re: Voicemail was inactivated by Comcast but calls continue to go there?

It sounds like Comcast didn't actually deactivate voicemail, despite what they may have told you.

When a call comes in and you're on the phone, the caller doesn't get a busy signal; they just hear continued ringing, while you get the call waiting signal. If you ignore the call waiting, it goes to voicemail (since it can't go to your answering machine while you're on the phone).

If voicemail were actually inactivated, someone calling while you're on the phone would just hear ringing until they gave up. 

Maybe you need to have call waiting inactivated, too, if you're ignoring it.

Regular Contributor

Re: Voicemail was inactivated by Comcast but calls continue to go there?

After three calls to Comcast support they finally deactivated Voicemail - the first two support reps apparently did know how to accomplish the request. I have decided to leave call waiting active and have callers just hear ringing if I fail to switch to second call

Thanks for your input, DQ

Frank

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation