Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Voice backup battery does not work at all

Frequent Visitor

Voice backup battery does not work at all

We have Xfinity Voice and have the battery backup; however, the power went out during the night for about 30 minutes.  The indicator light was lit indicating the battery is installed and charged.  Went to call to report power outage and none of our phones would work.  What's up with that?  Have to pay for a battery and then the thing doesn't do what Comcast says it will.  This is very scary for my elderly parent who would have no way to contact the power company when alone.

Cable Expert

Re: Voice backup battery does not work at all

If the lines were down from a storm or accident for example-- the phone won't work even if it has a battery back up.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Problem Solver

To test the battery backup try unplugging the modem and see if it keeps working, if it keeps working then the battery is ok.  If it stops it might not be installed correctly, the pins have to line up and so on and it needs to be pushed in correctly.

However if the rest of the infrastructure doesn't have battery backup or generators it doesn't help against large power failures.

Cell phones will work to some extent since they have generators and batteries in the cell towers.

Eventually, they fail if there is not enough power and there is a large storm and the power stays off for days.

The battery runs out, or the generator runs out of fuel.

Frequent Visitor

There was no storm or big power outage.  Our neighbor had lights.  The power was out for about 20 minutes.  I tried using the phone within 10 minutes to report the outage and the phones wouldn't work.  Checked the battery - installed correctly and the indicator light is lit.  It is a shame that folks now have to pay for a battery and they don't work like they say the will.

Connection Expert

cjerian wrote:

To test the battery backup try unplugging the modem and see if it keeps working, if it keeps working then the battery is ok.

FWIW, I believe that the backup battery only powers the phone service portion of the modem /eMTA and not also the internet, so you need to see if the phone service "keeps working". You'll probably lose internet service

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I wish I had read these posts before spending $40.95 on a back up battery (and having the confidence in Comcast that I would have service in the event of no power)!  I had the same experience, last night first I was told by Comcast "service" that my battery tested fine (it is less than 2 months old), then was told the battery was not covered by warranty & that I could buy a replacement if I want to!  I told "John" that was unacceptable...I need phone service when my power is out & need my alarm system to work as well.  At the very least I asked to be credited for what I paid (again less than 2 months ago) for the battery back up that obviously does not work & was told that is not possible.  When I told him that was unacceptable he said a manager would call me right back to discuss (never did).  I called again today and requested to speak to a manager & another "John" (this one sounded like it was a call center from a foreign country) said he would fix my problem (before he even knew what it was), had me on hold for 10 minutes because he was "having trouble with his computer" and finally hung up on me.  It is impossible to even reach a true customer service representative there any more...

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation